E. & J. Gallo Winery Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is not always ideal (in 49 reviews)

• Long hours the workload is often more than one can get done in 8hours (in 22 reviews)

1. "Who doesn't want to work in the alcohol beverage business?"

Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager Innovation in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Brand Manager Innovation in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A very innovative company always challenging and improving the old way of doing things. A company that asks a lot of you but where you are rewarded for hard work.

Cons

What's the downside of working for the world's largest winery?

Advice to Management

A leadership team that says, "Our people are our greatest asset!" and actually believe it!

Jun 15, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review and for all of the hard work that you put into your role in Brand Marketing. We appreciate you! Cheers!

2. "The Best Place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Shipping/Receiving Clerk/Mail Center in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Shipping/Receiving Clerk/Mail Center in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the reason why Gallo winery is the best place to work, is because Every Employee treats each other like family, and the Management is Awesome, there no other company i would rather work Besides E J GALLO WINERY in Modesto California! I love it here!

Cons

I can honestly say, I have no complaints...

Advice to Management

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. stay in touch with TMs on a more personable basis

Jun 16, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a great review. We agree that the family feel is a big part of what makes Gallo so special, but it is also because of people like you! Cheers to... More

3. "Best Employer!"

Current Employee - Accountant in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful team-based environment. Fun and diverse culture. Great opportunities to learn in different areas of the company. Corporate values demonstrated from top management down. Supportive of further education and certifications, and useful in-house training courses are available. Deadline-driven with flexible schedules. In total, an ideal place to work!

Cons

High expectations and need to be able to adapt to new situations constantly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Jun 16, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your time and feedback. We know that our employees are our best asset and believe in supporting continuous learning to help them reach their goals. We're so glad to have employees... More

4. "Couldn't ask for a better company"

Current Employee - Legal Counsel in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Counsel in Modesto, CA

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Gallo has an amazing culture of smart, hard working people who support each other and work together to achieve the company's goals.
    Corporate values are taken seriously and respected.
    Our senior leadership is incredibly talented, dedicated, smart and compassionate.
    Healthy work-life balance (although not necessarily a 9-5 job).
    Exciting, fun industry.

Cons

Relatively long commute from the Bay Area (although it's a reverse commute and the company does provide a free luxury bus).

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent work!

Jun 16, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your review. We're lucky to have you as a part of the Gallo family!

5. "Great Wine + Fast Growth = Meets Typical Constraints Head On"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Great place to grow given the right conditions and support from leadership. You can develop some deep long lasting professional and personal relationships which is different from other companies. You can move around and learn various jobs and everything there is to know about the company and they encourage it.

Cons

Work / Life balance can become a challenge as they move faster and harder. This can present other strains in managing the forces that make up a good company (People, Processes, Tools). Organizational structure to support those massive changes can be strained and stretched thin with little to no change management or balancing of work life which can strain the work force to break. Processes, like in many companies, tend to not be documented, this can cause repeat problems down the road and there is a tendency by leadership thru management to allow exceptions to the processes that the staff is regularly asked to uphold and follow yet others are not (exception based processes). Finally, there isn't a clear baseline understanding of what it takes to implement a system, get proficient at it and then realize its value and grow it more to get the most TCO out of the product, people and processes as possible.

Jun 21, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your honest feedback. If you’re open to discussing your thoughts on improving processes and work-life-balance in greater detail, please email us at feedback@ejgallo.com. We hope you... More

6. "Great Place to Start"

I worked at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Incredible Training, rapid advancement, great culture

Cons

They hire right out of college - don't realize you are underpaid until after you have left.

Jun 19, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for your review. We really appreciate it. Cheers!

7. "Process Technology Internship For Engineers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Modesto, CA

Pros

Interview was about 30 minutes at college campus, mostly behavioral questions and about my resume.

Cons

Company was a bit slow in telling details regarding start date, drug test, etc.

Jun 5, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for the feedback. Cheers!

8. "Awesome company with great training!"

Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Field Marketing Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High expectations with flexible schedule. The training is awesome and the people you work with are just as good. Creates a very healthy motivating environment.

Cons

Long days, a lot of travel. Have to be self motivated and great at time management. You will move a lot.

May 30, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate everything you do for us! Cheers to you!

9. "Great company, Better People"

Pros

The people that make up Gallo are fantastic. It truly has the tight knit, family company feel despite being such a large organization. People truly care about you and are very transparent when discussing everything with you. After working with a wholesaler, it is a VERY different experience.

Cons

Base pay is not competitive for the industry and other similar positions in other industries. Depending on what you personally seek in a career and life, the pro's substantially outweigh the lack of base compensation. If you are after money and that is all that matters, you are wasting your time. If you want a great work/life balance, extremely valuable experience and a great career path for life with the industry leader, this is an incredible option for you. If you are working with a wholesaler with a path to work with the winery I HIGHLY suggest you experience Gallo before forming overall opinions.

Advice to Management

Structure pay based on tenure AND take age into consideration for hires that are entry level with Gallo. There are many sour opinions mixed with positive opinions when it comes to this which leads to some bad blood.

May 25, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your very thoughtful review. If you are interested in discussion your feedback further, we would love to learn more about your experience with Gallo. Our... More

10. "Great company, people, projects"

I have been working at E. & J. Gallo Winery full-time

Pros

Diverse people who are intelligent and driven
    Company focuses on long-term strategies
    Shuttle to Bay Area if you live there

Cons

Onboarding training is almost non-existent (the best one was in Lean Six Sigma obviously)
    Political nature for decisionmaking
    Location is not ideal if you're looking for things to do

Advice to Management

Better onboarding programs especially for the rotation program (TMDP)

Jun 8, 2017 – Human Resources Leadership

Thank you for your feedback! We know that those in the Technical Management Development Program are very proud of their program and have taken ownership to improve our onboarding and transition... More