EBMUD Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at EBMUD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and job security

Cons

Sometimes the work is repetitive

2. "Civil engineer"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at EBMUD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a civil engineer, EBMUD is a great place to work. Since the pay Is much higher than industry (the highest average pay I've heard of for civil engineers), there's a lot of competition for the job postings. I admit I came for enormous salary bump, but I was pleasantly surprised by my great experience here. My peers are extremely smart (mostly cal alumni, many with advanced degrees) and bring in plenty of experience from their former stressful consulting pasts (like me). There are also many social activities after work and occasional official weekend get togethers. Events like our annual EBMUD idol build comraderie and help keep our employees here for decades.

Cons

you have to be an extremely hard worker to get here, but you don't have to be to stay here. don't expect the same drive you find in consulting, where the fear of job loss, billable hours, and difficult clients keep employees scrambling. Civil engineers looking for more client facing and business oriented seller doer careers should work in consulting. Also not a great place for techies since there is little necessity for software development.

3. "Geotechnical division"

Current Employee - Materials Testing Technician in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Materials Testing Technician in Oakland, CA

I have been working at EBMUD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good benefits: healthcare and retirement. Competitive salary for Bay Area

Cons

Slow to innovation, so you may fall behind on job skills and current technologies.

"Public Agency Employment - Stable Agency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at EBMUD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of great dedicated workers. Can be innovative and challenging if you find the right work unit.

Cons

Poor performers at all levels enabled and tolerated. Many work units isolated. Technical skills are valued above soft skills (communication, supervision, emotional intelligence).

Advice to Management

Be open to staff ideas and opportunities for true improvement, not superficial changes and window dressing. Really confront conflict and poor performers. Be honest in communications and when problems arise. The emperor wears no clothes is not an effective management style.

5. "Cool people bad managers"

Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Benefits Specialist in Oakland, CA

I worked at EBMUD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary
    Job security
    Benefits
    If you are blessed to get a great team your work environment will be great

Cons

Management is horrible. They only fight for themselves they don't appreciate their employees very cheap most of the staff will pay for events and other things but management will take over like they sponsored events. favoritism in most departments higher management has no respect for the hard work the team does

Advice to Management

Take leadership classes! Engage in your team. Learn with your company workers do and how hard they work..be humble and fight for your team!!

6. "1st level supervisor of technical engineering staff"

Current Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Civil Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at EBMUD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for the utility owner allows participation in full life cycle of a project. The fellow employees are very professional. Great training and continuing education opportunities.

Cons

Difficult to manage independently when faced with many internal regulations - the dreaded B Word. Upper management loves painting Rosie pictures but is troubled with challenging facts.

Advice to Management

Audit your need for routine reporting to public and officials.

7. "Benefits for full time workers only"

I have been working at EBMUD part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company; high number of holidays. Not much room for upward movement due to the number of workers who stay until retirement.

Cons

Benefits except 401k are not available for part-time employees. I have been limited to 16 hrs/week for over 1 year. I've stayed hoping to work full time, but I'm not going to be able to get by on these hours and no benefits much longer.

Advice to Management

Consider offering benefits to part-time workers at a pro-rated cost, or offer full time employment after a period of time (like 1 yr) of satisfactory performance. Or plan on replacing permanent part-time employees frequently.

8. "Contact Center"

Former Employee - Anonymous in West Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in West Oakland, CA

I worked at EBMUD full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits, I worked with great people, no work on the weekends, offer decent shifts, location has parking

Cons

Management is so unprofessional it's unbelievable. Management is hostile, unhelpful and questions your judgement when dealing with customers and aren't supportive. I voiced my concerns and was brutally rebuffed. Obey politics or you're in for a very hard time.

Advice to Management

Stop letting lower management get away with murder and VALUE your employees. You're asking for a lawsuit.

9. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Information Systems Support Analyst II in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Information Systems Support Analyst II in Oakland, CA

I have been working at EBMUD (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive pay, good benefits, good location.

Cons

Work hours not quite flexible.

"They take the FUN out of dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Oakland, CA

I worked at EBMUD full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Once you pass probation you can largely do nothing until you retire. If you're a competent individual you'll have plenty to do given the fact that most everyone else is working at about half speed, if that. One non-IT manager told me that 25% of his department's staff were people who no one knew what they did. Admittedly this does provide for a great work-life balance.

Cons

The organization as a whole is resource limited, backward and staffed by the unmotivated or the exasperated. Compared to progressive organizations like King County (Seattle-Tacoma), EBMUD is a joke and a classic union-fail. The Information Services Department has been infiltrated by people who don't understand customer service or project management. A few more layers of ineffective management should completely stifle the hard workers there. A long-time non-IT employee told me that ISD is "the most detested part of the entire company". Yeah, I'd avoid that one.

Advice to Management

Eat a toad every morning and nothing worse will happen all day. Enjoy the fact that your club of IT management middle manager malcontents only has to worry stifling the efforts of people trying to provide clean water and sewage treatment.