EBS Healthcare Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Stubits

Pros
  • HR reps and clinical managers maintain close contact with new employees to aid them in transitions (in 14 reviews)

• EBS is a company that is truly making a difference (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Working for a school district, you are at the mercy of their rules and regulations- some issues simply cannot be reconciled by EBS (in 12 reviews)

• Low pay, no PTO, no sick pay, no adult rehab placements (in 7 reviews)

1. "Good experience so far"

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EBS has a fantastic support system, especially for Clinical Fellows.

Cons

Non-compete clause prevents contractors leaving the company form working for the same school district for at least a year.

Advice to Management

Make sure that employees are notified ahead of time when their HR rep is changed! Also, licensing needs to make sure they're actually up-to-date on state-by-state requirements.

"Great place to work as an SLP"

Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist in Nashville, TN

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lead EBS employees who coordinate our caseloads with the district are great! They listen and allow input for each SLP's preferred age range and location. I've been able to work with pre-k for the past two years. They frequently check-in to see how the caseload is working.
    - Most district staff are very supportive for EBS employees as well.
    -You are usually working at multiple schools, which I like because it breaks up the week (not the same place/people/kids every day), but maybe not everyone would enjoy that. You can also request a different assignment for the next year, which can allow you have more variety (or the same assignment if you loved where you were).
    - EBS has a $300 professional allowance per year. I use mine to pay my ASHA dues, but you could request a work iPad for sessions with students or other similar needs as well.
    -EBS has free CEU events, which are helpful!
    - EBS has regular semester dinners so you can get to know other employees in your area
    - Opportunities for summer work with the district summer school
    -GREAT BENEFITS: They offer medical (with a nice PPO option), Dental, and Vision (if you work 30+ hours per week).
    -If you refer a friend to EBS and they sign on, you get a pretty nice bonus (haven't done it yet myself, but I always see it in their benefit paperwork).
     -The state wide Teacher Evaluation process (under Common Core) is less intense than being in a public school district (in my personal experience, having worked in both)
    -You don't have to do things like bus duty or district staff meetings that are usually required of full-time public school SLPs

Cons

- EBS doesn't always compensate for mileage if you drive between multiple sites
    -EBS have a strict 1 hour of prep/6 hour of treatment ratio for billing if you are on hourly pay. This is nice, but we all know there's certainly more than one hour of prep going into each day of work. Plus, if a student is absent, you could lose a half hour of pay if you don't split up another group. But then again, there's always so much prep as an SLP no matter where you are...

Advice to Management

Compensate for mileage for employees who service students in their homes. It adds up, both in time and gas $. This might be a regional issue though, as I've heard they compensate elsewhere.

"SLP"

Current Employee - SLP in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - SLP in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

support, supervision when needed, resources

Cons

no PTO, not paid for holidays/unexpected school closings, high caseloads

"Great Agency That Has Your Back (SLP CFY MA)"

Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Boston, MA

Pros

-Very responsive HR department - gets back to you within 24 hours (often same day)
    -Very knowledgable SLP supervisor
    -The agency acts as your union - they will help you troubleshoot issues, especially if you are being taken advantage of
    -Salary often comparable to working directly with a school district, higher hourly rate
    -You cannot be given before or after school duties
    -You don't have to stay late for meetings
    -Unlike other agencies, you don't have to work during your vacations - that time is yours!
    -At the beginning and end of the school year they had little get togethers (free food - they were generous!) so that you could get to know other CFs in the area)

I worked at an urban school for my first SLP job as a CFY. Long story short - the school district (not EBS) completely misrepresented the position and I found myself with a caseload far above what I was quoted by the SPED Director in the district and with a huge amount of initial evaluations/compensatory services. There was a lot of political drama as well (but that's the case for most schools!). EBS - my HR rep (I actually had 2 reps which was really nice) and assigned supervisor specifically - helped me navigate this nearly impossible situation. My supervisor spoke with my building principal and even volunteered her time to administer evaluations/speak at meetings which was not part of her job description. My HR rep made sure I was paid overtime for compensatory services that the students needed. I felt completely supported and heard while I navigated this mess of a situation. EBS stayed true to their word and went above and beyond to help lesson the stress of my job. Eventually, I left the agency as I wanted to work in an affluent suburban district which was more my speed (most of the opportunities were with urban districts a ways away from where I live - I live in the suburbs) but it had nothing to due with my experience. I would gladly advise any CF to work here!

Cons

-The HR reps can be very persistent in the beginning so it's important to really give it time and not allow that to pressure you
    -The benefits are very limited (which they will even tell you!)
    -A lot (but not all) of the positions are in urban districts which was not my preference, personally - at the same time these are districts where parents tend to be very hands-off/there isn't a ton of micro-management
    -As a contractor you can feel like the "other" in a district - this is a pro and a con because some people like to get in/get out and not be as enmeshed in politics

"Awesome Company and work environment"

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EBS is a company that is truly making a difference. EBS puts the children's needs and priorities above everything! There's a team/family atmosphere where anyone in the company is willing to drop what they're doing to help anyone out. The support system and mentoring is top notch. Working at EBS is a very rewarding experience. Superiors and management are very helpful and truly care about your personal success and career goals.

Cons

No complaints, EBS healthcare is a high paced, fun, rewarding work environment that focuses on making a difference in children's lives.

"Jobs available in School District of Philadelphia through EBS were schools where district employees wouldn't work."

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

quick and easy hire. Lunch at training was good. Stipend was ok for supplies. That is it.

Cons

Lower salary then I was lead to believe, school choices were awful. No sick days, holidays, or paid snow days for howerly. Nickel and dime teachers on hours.

Advice to Management

If you say you are supportive, be supportive.

"Thank you EBS!"

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in San Diego, CA

Pros

I have been at EBS Healthcare for over 4 years now. They have given me the ability to travel the country and work with different kiddos in different school districts and I am truly blessed. The options are endless. I started here for my clinical fellowship in Texas, and now I am in California. The support I received than and now is astonishing. I would recommend EBS to any therapist who is really looking to make an impact in the lives of the special needs.

Cons

Anytime I feel myself becoming too overwhelmed or stressed out, there is ALWAYS someone I can contact. I have no cons.

"Don't Even Think About Working for these Cons"

Former Employee - Teacher in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I worked at EBS Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with were friendly and helpful, and just as confused as I was.

Cons

Well, specifically in Hawaii when you tell someone the schools you will be working at are all in Honolulu, but you don't realize that the entire island of Oahu is Honolulu County, so that means you don't know anything about the islands and traffic. People don't drive around the island every day because it takes a lot of time and gas (money), not to mention the traffic in and around Honolulu. So, the schools were spread out on every side of the island. I spent the majority of my day driving around and then each school would be different, and the people in PA do not have a clue as to how things work in Hawaii. I quickly learned to just not ask questions (because no one knew the answer), and just do what I thought was best. However, the amount of pay I received wasn't enough, and if you were sick or there was no school then you didn't get paid. Good luck living that way with the high cost of living on the island of Oahu. The people in PA know nothing of the geography and culture of a place they are trying to manage. As other reviewers have said, their bottom line is making money off of getting you to work for next to nothing, having no benefits, no sick leave, no paid time off at all. They do not tell you that during the hiring process. You just assume that when you are a teacher with a Master's degree, licensed and with experience that you would be receiving a comparable salary to working as a teacher in the school district. So, they quote you a salary that is hourly, and tell you how that adds up to way over what the school system pays you. Well, I can tell you that it comes nowhere close because I have worked for both. They didn't know what the hell was going on over on the other side of the world, and if you asked a question be prepared to get a different answer depending on who you are speaking with and the day of the week. They just made rules up as they went along. Since Hawaii is in a time zone that is six hours different from the East Coast, be prepared to call them as soon as you wake up, and by noon when you were just getting started they were gone home for the day. A company in PA should not be trying to manage professional teachers and health/speach therapists on the other side of the world. The only benefit was sub par health insurance. That is it. A complete waste of my time

Advice to Management

Treat professionals like professionals, and pay them what they deserve. Don't make your HR reps have to lie. They should be able to tell the truth, and it be something someone would want to hear or you are doomed to fail.

"Great company"

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Bunnell, FL
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Bunnell, FL

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Company is always looking to take care of the employee. I have constant support from supervisor and HR. The go out of their way to take car of their employees.

Cons

is a 10 month position and days off are not paid

"Cons and sales"

Pros

Some of the people who work here are nice.

Cons

Unethical, noncompliant, insecure company. Complete frat bro environment. Looking to lock people, not help kids. Don't waste your time. All of these positive reviews are planted by marketers.

EBS Healthcare Response

Dec 12, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We are all here to make a difference – and every day, we focus on how we can help more children. Whether it’s through direct service, research, training, or development ... More