EBS Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Mark Stubits

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • HR reps and clinical managers maintain close contact with new employees to aid them in transitions (in 15 reviews)

• Lots of opportunities for travel positions across the country (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Non-compete clause prevents contractors leaving the company form working for the same school district for at least a year (in 14 reviews)

• Low pay, no PTO, no sick pay, no adult rehab placements (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Special Education Teacher"

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time

Pros

I have worked with EBS for the last 2 years in HI and have read a couple of these posts from a few friends and co-workers that have been let go or left. They seem to be pushing a bitter agenda. While this doesn’t surprise me from some of these individuals, I at least wanted to share my thoughts and experience as there are many of us who have worked with EBS for years and still love it.

I have worked in education for years and have often felt like I am left hanging out there to fend for myself, without the resources to be successful or the professional development to help energize me forward, I was just another body in a broken system. During my time with EBS, I have met the most wonderful, compassionate people looking to make an impact with the students we work with. Most of the team I have had the pleasure to work with has been outstanding, the leadership team locally as well as the people the company fly’s in to provide additional support seem knowledgeable and eager to help. The person I work with at the EBS office seems to genuinely care about me, they have gone out of their way to help in in tough spots, even paying to fly me home for a personal matter. During the interview process I spoke with multiple individuals that laid out not only the position but also some of the challenges of moving so far from home. As educators, I think we should understand that switching schools (facilities) is a possibility with any position. Also, EBS is very clear on pay and reimbursements, they explain how many days everyone can potentially work a year. While I believe all teachers and educational professionals should make more money, our salaries are in line with that of teachers in this area or even better. The problem is, the bar itself is low. EBS provides orientation and training's throughout the year. I have my supervisor’s cell phone number and EBS and there is a 24hr hotline if i really need something

Cons

Of course there are challenges working in residential facilities on an island, and it has taken me almost a year to break through some of the cultural challenges but the positive impact that I fell that I am making now has been worth some of the struggles. There is some turnover with people moving back to the mainland, but talking to some colleagues that work for the DOE, this is common there too. You do pay to live in paradise one way or another, but I love living here and working with students that many others gave up on.

Hawaii is not for everyone and I would recommend that anyone considering moving to HI considers it both professionally as well as personally. And finally, the little gifts and thank you’s that I receive from EBS throughout the year are much appreciated. I will be back again next year.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in those of us committed to this awesomely challenging and rewarding job.

2. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Houston, TX

I worked at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The recruiters are very friendly and supportive. They are good about checking in throughout the year and supporting the employees through continued education opportunities and other resources.

Cons

Compensation is not always consistent for similar circumstances however they are willing to negotiate. They also enforce a non-compete clause with school districts which can interfere with future plans.

"Paradise Promise"

Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Travel. You get to travel at your own expense.
    Performance Evaluation for 7 hours up to 35 hours per week.
    Constant feedback you will never be aware of.
    Positive Environment. Everyone Laughs behind your back.

Cons

It starts at the day you call them.
    Being Tagged, Tracked, and Treated like an animal can make for a long 7 hour day.

Advice to Management

Use Camera, and listening devices rather than two or three half-wits to tell on teacher progress. Using standardized test to progress monitor effective teaching and learning. Have teachers submit video snips as an evaluation of performance. Not some speech theorist and her "anything goes" katoy.

"Human Resources at EBS"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in West Chester, PA

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had the pleasure of working at EBS Healthcare for over a year now. I was welcomed with open arms and received an amazing amount of support from the beginning. The environment of this company is like no other. From work events to kickball games we do have a work hard play hard mentality which makes coming to work enjoyable and fun. EBS isn't just my career, the people here have become more like family and I couldn't ask for a better organization to be apart of!

Cons

You do work long hour days and sometimes on Saturdays especially in the summer but it truly is worth it.

5. "Positive work environment with opportunities for professional growth"

Current Employee - Human Resources in West Chester, PA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in West Chester, PA

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly and positive work environment that is surrounded by co-workers who do truly care about the people they work with and represent. Frequent employee appreciation days and events that support local special education organizations and programs. Supportive work environment from all levels of management to develop new employees.

Cons

It is a competitive market place against other companies in a small industry. Continue to go above and beyond to support internal and external employees

Advice to Management

Continue to support your employees.

"Oahu Hawaii Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time

Pros

The most important things to me before I started with EBS, were support and salary. My HR rep was very up front with me about both. He assured me that he would get me the best salary for the area and we talked for a while about the support that EBS offers everywhere. He was also very clear about cost of living in the area.

For support, he always makes himself available and will schedule times to speak with me anytime I ask, even after hours. If I need materials or when I have a concern, he always talks me through it, which is comforting.

The “compensation department” said they could customize my salary for me. I had the option for housing, paid time off, and benefits, but I did not need benefits or a place to live and I’m never sick so I didn’t need paid time off. I put as much as I could into my salary which is exactly what I wanted.

Cons

We are a few thousand miles away from the main office and the time difference makes communication a challenge but not impossible. Something I have to work around, but again my HR always makes himself available for me anytime I need him. Plus, there is EBS leadership on the island that I can call anytime.

Advice to Management

Open up an office on the islands.

"School Occupational Therapist"

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at EBS Healthcare part-time

Pros

I really like all the perks EBS offered, including coverage of my licensure, membership of AOTA, and a yearly stipend for professional development. Also very willing to help with mentorship and other resources that help with doing the job well.

Cons

Difficult to get in touch with at times due to the 3 hour time difference.

Advice to Management

Be more familiar with CCSD policies and procedures for OTs.

"Agree with " No Aloha in Hawaii""

Current Employee - SPED Teacher in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - SPED Teacher in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They covered my fee to apply for my teacher licensure in Hawaii.

Cons

I whole-heartedly agree with everything "No Aloha in Hawaii" posted, so I will try not to repeat what they said. Looking back at the beginning, I see where red flags were thrown up that I didn't notice at the time. Basically their whole job listing is exaggerated truths that might apply to some locations or some positions, but it certainly does not apply to SPED teachers or EAs. I did not know that there was an
    "orientation" until 1 business day before, and I did not know what facility I was going to be placed at until 2 business days before, thank goodness it was actually close to my house and the hours at that particular one sort of worked with my kids' schedules.

They are more concerned with the paper trail that follows students/facilities/teachers then what is actually happening in real life, day to day in the classroom between SPED teachers, content teachers, and EAs. They are quick to get in touch with you if something needs attention on their end, probably because you were unaware it was something that needed to be done due to the abysmal communication and confusion as to which person is actually in charge of what area. However, if you need support, or have a question, or suggestion, don't plan on receiving any real help.

What I am doing here is not being a SPED teacher, I'm not even sure what it is, but it is a sad joke of a set up in an attempt to teach students who have been pushed out of their public school setting for various reasons.

Advice to Management

Please realize how many good employees you're losing, and how many you have hired out of desperation that has made the school year miserable for the good ones and students. The turnover is staggering!

Stop spending money on sending "leadership teams" out here to tell you what's wrong, when it's what the people here in the field have been saying is wrong. Spend your money on hiring people already on the island, then treat them respectfully with a salaried package with sick leave/vacation days. Paying your employee's hourly when there are days, weeks even, that we are not able to work because school is closed, is a hardship and not at all what a professional deserves. Give actual, real, monetary incentives for staying past a year. Make it worthwhile for someone to work with challenging students, in a challenging environment, with a challenging school system.

It's also so important that I must also echo, that there sorely needs to be multiple Hawaii supervisors. Hire supervisors out here that have worked in public schools as SPED teachers and a separate one for SLP/OT/PTs. Hawaii desperately needs a strong foundation out here to get things organized and make lasting relationships with facilities and schools, but until it does, I don't see how this contract with HIDOE can last much longer.

"Good people and culture but unfulfilling work"

Former Employee - Human Resources in West Chester, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in West Chester, PA

I worked at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great. There is a good team environment that promotes teamwork and collaboration.
    Monthly events for birthdays
    EBS truly cares about the kids

Cons

Low pay
    The work was rudimentary.
    No succession plans
    No evaluation process.
    No career development opportunities
    Lack of leadership structure

Advice to Management

Hire an HR manager for the corporate office to oversee employee relations.

10. "Speech therapist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at EBS Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive and helpful staff

Cons

I do not have any cons