EBSCO Information Services Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
EBSCO Information Services President Tim Collins
Tim Collins

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Achievable work-life balance - It IS possible to have hobbies, spend time with family, etc (in 29 reviews)

• Good benefits and financially stable company (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Its boys club where managers friends get promoted (in 5 reviews)

• No ownership of poor upper management behavior (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"great career advancement, making changes"

Current Employee - Manager in Ipswich, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits for dental, vision and health as well as profit sharing. The company has plenty of advancement opportunities and encourages promoting within. Recently started a company initiative to train managers from the executive team down to lower level managers to be on the same page and improve communication. Starting to be more flexible with working from home which is how you can recruit and keep good talent.

Cons

Lack of accountability of underperformers.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Listen to individual feedback in the comments on the annual surveys and talk about it, not just the number average on a scale of 1-5.

"Ebsco, NoveList"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Durham, NC

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I work at NoveList, a division of EBSCO, and enjoy it very much. Work-life balance, company culture, fun and challenging work, exposure to new and leading technologies, opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Nothing to report just yet.

"Great work atmosphere and plenty of oppertunity to grow"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Ipswich, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location! I love being able to look out the window at the beautiful Ipswich River.

Management has given us the tools to feel like we are running our own business.

Not only was I given a great oppertunity to learn and continue to learn but I also see oppertunities to grow within the company.

Its not often you find a job you want to stay at for years but at EBSCO, i feel as if i could spend my career here.

Cons

Working becomes addicting and you end up wanting to bring it home with you.

4. "Taking change seriously"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at EBSCO Information Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive salaries, solid (but not exceptional) benefits, strong support for training and professional development for technologists, genuine commitment to social responsibility. Very strong leadership at the SVP level.

Change at EBSCO is both a pro and a con. The company really believes in Lean/Agile methods and leadership supports it strongly and consistently. When change is required, the company goes all in to address the needed change.

Cons

Change management- executive leadership commitment is very strong but they don't do well at building a shared vision around change. The phrase "pivot without mercy or guilt" is popular among managers and it's an important Lean/Agile concept but some managers (especially second-level VPs) "pivot without empathy or compassion" and there's a difference. Change fatigue is a thoroughly correctable problem that needs attention here, but the company is strong enough that I fully expect they'll correct that.

The other significant "con" is paying attention to professional development opportunities for non-technologists.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to professional development outside the technology teams and get better leadership training and more accountability at the VP level.

5. "It's OK - not great"

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time

Pros

Vacation time policy is OK.

Cons

Very low salary for most roles here. Also, communication from upper management is POOR.

"Fortunate to work at EBSCO~"

Current Employee - Sales AE in Ipswich, MA
    Current Employee - Sales AE in Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I’ve been working at EBSCO for almost 4 years and feel very lucky/fortunate to be here! Not only is the company great to work for, but the culture is a positive one, the people I work with are amazing and there are many opportunities to grow. The company strongly believes in promoting from within, as well as relying on employee referrals, which truly gives EBSCO that “family” feel.

EBSCO has a great training team and they invest a lot to make sure we have what need, in order to be successful. Management is fantastic and it’s easy to have open conversations about your career path – they encourage job shadowing and there are opportunities to grow leadership skills as well. I’m lucky to have a Director and VP that have contributed to my success by challenging me positively and being supportive.

Great perks, the commute is easy, people are fun and it beats going into Boston, that’s for sure! I truly feel like I’m walking into my house when I walk into work in the morning!

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind...

7. "Let's talk about Topsfield"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Topsfield, MA
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Topsfield, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Yes, there is a facility in Topsfield. Cafe brings breakfast and lunch over - when it does not interfere with their other responsibilities. HR and IT visit regularly. Room for advancement if you keep an eye out. Good health and retirement.

Cons

Location in Topsfield means all the perks that are Ipswich-based (and WERE considered perks when hired) are not viable. (Kind of alienating, huh?!) Free coffee is a perk that does not work in Topsfield. Expect to pay for DD across the street.

Advice to Management

Include all employees in Ipswich. Increase wages. Reward had-working employees. Postponement of raises is considered a WAGE FREEZE in the rest of the world, no matter how sugar-coated it is.

"Great Company To Work For!"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Ipswich, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Ipswich, MA

I have been working at EBSCO Information Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Quality products you can stand behind - When selling you really feel these are the best possible products for each institution.

- Strong leadership - My manager helps me advance by working with me on projects, providing meaningful feedback, etc.

- Great commute - I take all scenic back roads and no highways!

- Achievable work-life balance - It IS possible to have hobbies, spend time with family, etc!

- Beautiful location - Right on the Ipswich River and close to downtown restaurants and shops.

- Part of a community - EBSCO is involved in activities throughout Ipswich and the northshore.

- Can change positions if you put in the work

Cons

- Many products to sell - sometimes a bit overwhelming

9. "Academic Account Executive"

Pros

extremely nice, lots of growth opportunity, reputable company

Cons

lots of products to sell

10. "Accounting"

I worked at EBSCO Information Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Benefits, nice coworkers, enjoyed the work

Cons

Boys club, rarely got a raise, behind the times

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to all divisions