EBSCO Sales Reviews | Glassdoor

Tim Collins
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Director of Sales & Marketing"

Current Employee - Director of Sales & Marketing in Vincent, AL
    Current Employee - Director of Sales & Marketing in Vincent, AL

I have been working at EBSCO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Recently, I ran across these wise words on LinkedIn: CFO asks CEO “What happens if we invest in developing our people and they leave us?” CEO: “What happens if we don’t, and they stay?”

And stay they do! I challenge you to ask about the average years of service of EBSCO divisions employees…you will be shocked how high it is. WHY? EBSCO Industries is a “family”, from the top down. As a family, we are each equipped, encouraged and empowered to contribute with the mindset of nurturing, growing, improving and enlarging our family. I’ve commuted 1-1/2 hours daily for 25 years and you couldn’t pry me away!! The benefits are amazing: vacation, sick time, insurance, profit sharing, and more. EBSCO contributes to each employee through profit sharing AND charitable contributions to local communities. So, EBSCO reaches beyond employees into the lives of our family and friends. EBSCO Industries is truly unique!

Cons

Honestly, I cannot think of a downside.

Advice to Management

Stay the course...as team members, we are excited to have a management team that believes in us! You ASK what we think and LISTEN to our suggestions. Thank you!

2. "Sales"

Former Employee - Corporate Sales in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Corporate Sales in Alexandria, VA

I worked at EBSCO (More than 3 years)

Pros

Manager was supportive and beneficial.

Cons

Publishing industry continues to take a hit

"Account exec- EBSCO Research"

Former Employee - Outside Sales- Best Pick Reports in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales- Best Pick Reports in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EBSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great. Like the corporate office. Lots of support in the beginning. Training was sufficient enough, great software for sales.

Cons

VP of the sales team is ambiguous, condescending, motivates by criticism and intimidation. If it isn't his idea or way then it isn't worth hearing. No room for growth. Promotes reps to management with no experience in managing and working with veteran outside sales reps. Poor managing skills, ideas are convoluted and inconsistent. Very poor communication about plans and future concepts. Reps on this team are discouraged, unhappy, not inspired as well as incredibly under paid in commissions for the amount of work we put in. Hierarchy set for revenue, favoritism, and greedy with revenue. Travel expectations are intolerable.

Advice to Management

Figure this out.

"Tough Market Poor Upper Level Management"

Current Employee - Sales in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Overall a good company to work for. Particular company I am with sells ads and it offers freedom.

Cons

Market is very soft and even though a new product is out acceptance not enough to save company. Upper management is struggling and thus not responsive. Income possibilities now are bleak. Business model outdated and not being changed to meet current times an.d demands

Advice to Management

Take care of employees better and look at changing business plan. Stop doing same thing over and over when it is failing.

5. "Work very hard for marginal pay"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at EBSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent health insurance. Definitely a financially solid corporation and well diversified as a company. They have a very unique product.

Cons

I worked very hard for this company for a little over a year continually meeting sales quotas. However, I would not consider working for this company again nor recommend them. The home office treated its field sales people poorly and even bordering on disrespectful at times. I personally witnessed the proverbial "Revolving door" of sales people leaving.

• This company has been withholding my final pay for over 8 months. They are not an honest company. I doubt they will ever pay it.
    • During my 2nd week of employment, I made a paperwork error and was charged back the “Retail” price of materials to correct the mistake. I was brand new.
    • The gas reimbursement worked out to be about 10 cents per mile
    • They pay a 15% sales commission, but then assess charge backs at the rate of 25%

I was initially impressed to learn that a handful of individuals had been with the company an impressive amount of years. However, what I later learned is that most sales people left after being treated like terribly.

They definitely come first and the employee comes in a distant second.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as though you care about them.

6. "INCREDIBLE COMPANY"

Current Employee - Sales in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at EBSCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits and salary are great!

Cons

Corporate micro management of sales force.

Advice to Management

Let people work their own system