EC English Language Centers Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2020

3.4
EC English Language Centers Executive Chairman Andrew Mangion
Andrew Mangion
Pros
  • "Great team - on both operations/academic and head office side(in 8 reviews)

• "I’ve met many amazing students who make this work environment bearable(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes disorganised and low pay(in 7 reviews)

• "Rent in Malta is out of control(in 5 reviews)

1. "Warm Community"

5.0
    Current Employee - ESL Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EC English Language Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no warmer, more welcoming community than the one created by this company. Employees can feel like their contributions are valued.

Cons

As with most ESL gigs, the salary is a little on the low side, but that is an industry standard and the employer is aware of it, so the health benefits and the flexibility of the schedule are very generous to balance it out.

EC English Language Centers Response

Dear Colleague, Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad to hear that you are enjoying our welcoming EC Community. We take pride in our company culture wherein everyone’s contribution is welcome and adds value to our business. As you mention, we do endeavor to ensure our pay is competitive amongst industry standards and are happy to hear that our total compensation package was truly an added benefit and assisted you in achieving work-life balance. Regards Julian Bell Global HR Director

2. "Its fine"

Former Employee - Educator in New York, NY

I worked at EC English Language Centers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Congeniality among coworkers and staff

Cons

Pay is not enough for nyc

3. "Company has its heart in the right place"

Former Employee - Instructor/Administrator

I worked at EC English Language Centers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Innovative. Location. Generous with holiday pay.

Cons

Not enough resources for teachers. Pay is not the best.

4. COVID-19

"Terrible Local Management NYC"

Former Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at EC English Language Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Staff! Everyone is supportive.

Cons

Terrible, insensitive and selective local management who have no idea how to manage people but prefer to dictate and blame Staff and Teachers for their poor leadership. No growth opportunity-they prefer to hire from outside rather than from within. There’s no warmth or advocacy for their staff, which was made even clearer during this COVID crisis. Staff were, justifiably, extremely concerned and were the ones to keep asking for news from the company while they did nothing but sit back and say they “didn’t know” any of the answers. Instead of being proactive they, instead, waited until they had to scramble some online platform together which was already too late. To this date Staff STILL do not have answers to anything, but rather all we hear over and over is about how THEY are hurting. As for compensation they pride themselves on being “within range of other ESL schools” yet you’re asked for much more. As for Students, so many complain to Staff and Teachers about the way things are done and dealt with. The good reviews are because of US the staff! They should remember that.

5. COVID-19

"I hope Coronavirus takes EC out. A “money first, people last” company deserves no business."

Former Employee - Anonymous in Miami, FL

I worked at EC English Language Centers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I’ve met many amazing students who make this work environment bearable.

Cons

EC has never cared about its employees and always finds ways to lowball people, even people who have been committed to EC for a decade. When they are going through rough times, they can attack the pays of teacher and student services coordinators on less than a day’s notice. It is rude of you to ask people to take the time to go through online trainings only to give them last minute notice that you aren’t giving them any teaching hours. It’s rude to tell your workers you want them to work x hours this week but schedule a fake check in call the following day just to lay them off before they even get to finish the work week.

6. COVID-19

"CLOSE THE SCHOOL or move online. NO EXCUSES. Stop putting staff teachers and students at risk."

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

Pros

Your non managerial coworkers are all united in how much you deserve to stay at home if you're sick or in a space with high risk sick students.

Cons

I don't care if you're going to argue the government hasn't closed all schools. There are many kind empathetic schools that have moved online if they have not closed down entirely. The gov is not an excuse for you to continue putting students and employees at risk especially the ones who commute from outside lower risk states than NYC at the moment. Maybe instead of talking about how you won't be paying us if we travel and become stuck in quarantine, you owe us fair and more relatable policies about what you will do if you get us sick by still forcing us to come to work and still allowing new students to come every week. Are you going to pay our medical bills? Dont even joke about the pathetic insurance or lack of offered. Not everyone at ec would be able to afford the consequences should we get severely sick.

Continue reading

"Does not care about the students or employees"

2.0

I worked at EC English Language Centers part-time

Pros

I worked here when it was still called Embassy English, since then EC has taken over. The students were great and it was nice to work with such interesting and diverse people. The students are the only fun thing about the place.

Cons

It's a for profit language school, it's interested in profits, not in the students learning English or meeting their goals. The teachers did their best but it was hard trying to teach well and deal with the cutback and lack of resources. The center level staff was good but they don't have power over what corporate says. I was told I could get benefits due to my amount of working hours, but then they were rejected saying I need to be full time salaried to get benefits. Depressing place to work when you enjoy teaching and education.

EC English Language Centers Response

Dear colleague, Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. Regarding your comments, you are right in saying we are a for-profit language school – we fully accept that we are a business first and foremost, but the focus of our business is delivering the best English language tuition money can buy. However, like any good business, we recognise that the bottom-line is not the be-all and end-all. We are very much a purpose-driven organisation and are passionate about delivering the highest standard of education to our students. Ensuring that our teams are engaged is an essential part of the process. The acquisition of Embassy was a complex and difficult process and ensuring the success of the schools we acquired is our optimum goal, which we are moving ever closer to. Thanks again for taking the time to leave review and we wish you much success in your future endeavours. Julian Bell Global HR Director

8. "A great environment with a great team"

4.0
    Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at EC English Language Centers part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I enjoy my work at EC New York. I have worked at other schools but the facilities and technology are better than others. The people you work with are intelligent and love what they do. Working here is a lot of work but a lot of fun. Sometimes you have challenging students, but I've gotten support from other teachers and my manager in these situations. There has been some turnover in staff, but I think that's normal for this industry. In ESL teaching, people move on from jobs all the time! Personally, I enjoy the flexibility of going and coming as I please. To be honest, I'm happy that some of those people left. It's a much more positive place now.

Cons

The pay. New York is an expensive city, and it would be great to have a little more money in my pocket. With other schools closing all the time, I'm happy to still have a job and the management team always offers opportunities for me to take on some private lessons or free classes when they come up.

EC English Language Centers Response

Dear Colleague, Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I’m glad to read that you enjoy working as a part of our valuable team and we couldn’t agree more that our team at EC NY are intelligent, fun and passionate. It’s our top priority to have the right people in the right jobs. Regarding the facilities and technology, we strive for the very best in facilities including the latest technology in and out of the classroom – it’s great to have this acknowledged. We agree, turnover is normal in every industry as life circumstances change for individuals. However, we are delighted that you have been with us for over 3 years and that you continue to find EC NY to be a positive and flexible work environment. With the pay, we conduct regular industry benchmark reviews to ensure that our total rewards package is in line with or above industry standards. I’m delighted that you continue utilizing professional development opportunities and share our passion of being a leader in global education and helping to create a more connected world. Thanks again for taking the time to leave feedback. Should you wish to do so, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me directly. Julian Bell Global HR Director

"Cheap company who brags about donating several hundred dollars for AUS wildfire"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at EC English Language Centers full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are many locations and you can work with different people

Cons

This company expects you to do so much work and you only get more work the longer you stay. More work and no promotion or competitive raise. If you're considering working here, just don't. This company sent a global email boasting about donating 1000 AUD. For reference, that doesn't even cover 2 weeks of a single student's tuition. It's actually so pathetic that EC even thinks its worth mentioning. Pay your employees the bonuses they deserve. There are also regional managers or higher management who enjoy making executive decisions without consulting you. So many petty things in this company yet the managers will openly talk that you are the petty one for being unhappy.

EC English Language Centers Response

Dear Colleague Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I was disappointed to read your comments regarding workloads, progression and reward, as well as your response to our donation in relation to the Australian bushfires. We pride ourselves on the high quality of education and service we provide our students and are aware that to deliver this we need an engaged and productive work force. As such, we strive to ensure that our employees have a high level of wellbeing (including manageable workloads), that career progression is addressed as part of the ongoing performance review process, and that we regularly benchmark our salaries to ensure we are paying a competitive salary in the industry. Regarding the company donation, this was announced as part of a wider communication that was intended to act as a call to arms to support the nation of Australia as it was undergoing a difficult time. The donation was not meant to impress anyone, but rather act as an example for our teams across the globe to follow in their fundraising endeavours, which we would then match with our fundraising matching policy. Finally, as regards our managers – we expect a certain level of autonomy from our senior managers. This helps prevent an overly ‘top down’ approach and ensures our managers and their teams have input in the day-to-day running of the business. After all, it’s the employees in the schools that deal with our customers. Thanks again for taking the time to leave feedback. Should you wish to do so, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me directly. Julian Bell Global HR Director

"Capitalist company who buys out a competitor, adds tremendous work, and dares to consider rescinding bonuses"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at EC English Language Centers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Buying out Embassy allowed us to expand in Oceania where we didn't have school locations in before.

Cons

With the Embassy acquisition, I think it's safe to say all employees were put under immense stress and had extra responsibilities dumped onto their plates. Never through this time did I imagine that EC would be capable of not even offering bonuses this year. If there is any year that we most deserve these bonuses, it is for the 2019 of all the chaos in acquiring a competitor. I would detail the extra work we had but I don't even want to relive how stressful those times were. So many difficulties especially for the admissions team.

EC English Language Centers Response

Dear Colleague, Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review. I note your points regarding the decision not to pay bonuses for 2019. The acquisition of Embassy was an important decision to take, as it enables us to grow our business in a saturated and challenging marketplace. As you recognise, a key part of that growth is for us to expand our business into Australia and New Zealand. It has also enabled us to develop our Young Learner programme considerably. As with other organisations, performance-related bonuses are just that – bonuses related to the performance of the company and hitting and beating targets. They are therefore paid in part or full dependent on whether the company meets its targets. I appreciate your disappointment, but in order to ensure the health and continued growth of our business, we must take difficult decisions based on financial and market data, and this was one of them. Regards Julian Bell Global HR Director

Found 158 reviews