ECC Japan Employee Reviews about "japanese staff"

Updated Dec 5, 2020

3.6
ECC Japan President Katsumi Yamaguchi (no image)
Katsumi Yamaguchi
Pros
Cons
  • "Good luck getting on with the Japanese staff when you only work with them one day a week(in 12 reviews)

• "Some school directors are poor leaders/motivators or are just inexperienced(in 8 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "japanese staff"

Return to all Reviews

"Great job for English Teachers"

5.0

I worked at ECC Japan full-time

Pros

- Dress is business casual (it doesn't feel as stuffy as some other schools) - Personnel was very receptive to any concerns any of us had when I was there - If you're not happy with where you're placed, you have the ability to change locations as long as positions are available

Cons

- Some schools are not as great as others...depends on the Japanese staff/administration - Unlike JET, you have to pay for your flights and housing

"Not a bad place to work"

I worked at ECC Japan full-time

Pros

-30 hour work week, although I think it's changed to 35 now. -Great students -Decent local management -Staff are friendly -Great holidays (7 weeks a year)

Cons

-Upper management clearly don't like/respect native teachers -Very limited career opportunities -Japanese staff are under a lot of pressure -Pay rises are very low and the evaluation system seems to make no sense.

Continue reading

"I'm not happy here and I don't know why"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Nagoya, Aichi

I have been working at ECC Japan full-time

Pros

Salary and training. The students are nice and the work isn't always that hard. It's genuinely rewarding and I look forward to seeing both the staff and students at my school.

Cons

The likelihood of working at only one school is slim. Good luck getting on with the Japanese staff when you only work with them one day a week. Unpaid but necessary overtime is common. Fri-Sat has 12 hours or less between shifts. The company shows a lack of concern for neurodiverse students, strongly preferring a one size fits all model over literally just allowing the student that needs to stim to concentrate to stim. It kills me that I'm not allowed to take care of my students but that I'm berated of the younger ones cry when I can't take care of them. Also there's basically no communication within the company.

4. "Was A Very Good Deal Less so now"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Teacher in Ōsaka, Osaka

I worked at ECC Japan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Super Supportive of getting you into Japan Help out with accommodation Predetermined holiday time with the school holidays Incredible HR team to help you out Some fantastic Japanese staff at the schools *Can vary drastically between the schools.

Cons

Distance from schools can vary drastically. I was 1 hpur train each way where I know some people were 2 hours each way. The new contract and old contract divide between the teachers show the major flaws on the new contract, especially as when all old teachers were offered the new contract they all refused it. Senior management and HQ are a bit disenfranchised with what the situation on the grounds are

"Not every experience is the same but..."

Current Employee - English Teacher

I have been working at ECC Japan full-time

Pros

1)There are many holidays (not including the holidays you have to make up). 2)If you want/need to work overtime, there are options available. 3)If you're struggling as a teacher, you can easily reach out to a trainer for help. 4) There's a bonus (it isn't promised)... specific amounts are given depending on when you start. Ex. The school year begins in April, you are given the full amount if you start when the school year starts and finish when the school year ends without any issues.

Cons

1) Being that this job is attractive to recent graduates with little to no work experience, please note that your knowledge (or lack thereof) of what is an appropriate workplace environment, including who, when and what kind of meetings can be conducted will be tested. Joining the union or asking union members about questionable tasks and/or meetings will be helpful. This isn't just at a school but also with HR. 2)Native teachers' salary is more than Japanese staff, according to my SD. Some, not all, will attempt to give you their duties/responsibilities as your daily tasks, as a way of making native teachers earn their pay beyond the job as described in the hiring process and 2 weeks of training. For Example: Staff arrive before your shift starts, and before the school is open... Some will wait for native teachers to arrive so that native teachers can clean the school and prepare lessons. Or support staff (another name for staff) not offering support but expecting you to offer them help whenever they need it. Not all schools have this particular kind of staff but this does exist at ECC.

Continue reading

"Just like the rest for a little more money"

2.0
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at ECC Japan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

ECC has a good package offer and a good number of vacation days.

Cons

They guilt you for taking sick days, and the Japanese staff cares more about image than the care of their students.

"Good place to start in Japan, but only for the first year or two."

Former Employee - TEACHING STAFF

I worked at ECC Japan full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Comparatively high salary - Flight Stipend (about $700) and bonus ($1000) - Great vacation time. About 5 or 6 weeks total. - Pretty good training - The adult students are nice and really want to meet foreign people. I have never seen one act badly towards a teacher. Kids are kids. - The biggest positive is that they aren't a horrible company. This industry is full of horrible "blacklist" companies, and ECC is generally fair and decent in comparison. For example, you don't have to work any unpaid overtime and you will always be paid on time. Sadly these things are not a given in this industry.

Cons

- New contract introduced in 2017 is worst than the old one in just about every way. This was mainly a con for people starting just after the change, but might not be such a big deal to new people in a few years. - "Make up" work days for national holidays. Expect around a weeks worth of these extra work days. - Schedules vary, but you can expect to be in a fairly high stress environment. Your days may be packed to the brim with classes, with only 10-15 minutes between them. This can be up to 4-5 kids classes in a single day. - Commutes can vary from great (under 40 minutes) to horrible (1 hour, 15 minutes+) completely dependant on luck and HR favour. - People have different experiences with Japanese staff. Some can be very nice and accommodating. Others can be domineering and cold. I found many of them to be bossy towards me, even though they are not your boss on any level. Your manager is the school director, not the staff. - If you have free time, expect tons of pointless busywork like stuffing tissues and folding flyers. - Almost zero career opportunities. It's really a 1-3 year gig. They don't want you around for longer than that.

Continue reading

"Great, as long as your expectations are realistic"

4.0
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at ECC Japan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Considering the hours and work description, it pays really well * Meet people from other English-speaking countries in addition to your Japanese co-workers and students * Most curriculum is developed in-house, making it easy to use in lessons * Experience not essential (in fact, a lack of experience could be considered an advantage -- they teach you the ECC way to do things) * English-speaking trainers and HR department are generally supportive, and have a good understanding of what kinds of misunderstandings can arise between Japanese staff/students and non-Japanese instructors * Teaching students of all ages is fun and provides a good variety * You don't have to "take work home" * No expectation of unpaid overtime (which is a luxury you basically don't get in Japan, except in the eikaiwa industry)

Cons

* Teaching certifications might help you GET the job (they did in my case), but they won't help you DO the job. My advice: once you're in, don't talk about your TESOL credentials any more because nobody cares * It's a business, not a school, and so you're a customer service rep as much as a teacher. Sometimes sales interests run contrary to the best educational advice for a student * Training goes by in a flash and is packed with information, all of which you're expected to remember afterward; I've heard stories/legends about people finishing training and then saying, "I don't think I can do this" * Not much potential for career development, although that's SLOWLY improving

Continue reading

"Work with great people."

4.0

I have been working at ECC Japan full-time

Pros

Meet, work and make friends with good, hard working people from different countries. Most school directors and staff are friendly, dedicated and fun to work with.

Cons

Some school directors are poor leaders/motivators or are just inexperienced. Japanese staff turnover is high and staff members sometimes seemed stressed out.

"If you are a qualified teacher, or have ESL qualifications, DO NOT WORK THERE"

1.0
    ECC Native English Teacher in Tokyo

I worked at ECC Japan

Pros

Easy work, friendly co workers, pay on time,

Cons

-Boring work English HR are useless and have little say in decisions. -No training to help with esl career -Japanese staff sometimes unfriendly and some have no experience in ESL, only sales. Can lead to culture differences and conflict. -No support if you live outside Tokyo area. -save yourself, work at Berlitz, its WAY more professional. -Training is over the top, 2 weeks sat on a floor, especially for trained teachers is unnecessary.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 15 English Reviews