ECG Management Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

ECG Management Consultants Reviews

Found 71 reviews

4.5
Gary Edmiston
Pros
  • "Lots of upward mobility and exciting project work(in 6 reviews)

• "Highly-visible, high-impact projects (you work with the C-Suite)(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Historically work/life balance could feel more like a startup but that is starting to improve(in 20 reviews)

• "Senior leadership does communicate the need to work over 40 hours, with a goal of 40 billable hours per week(in 5 reviews)

1. "Excellent (if short) experience"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at ECG Management Consultants full-time for more than a year

Pros

- I was privileged to work with a diverse and talented group of consultants (including our principal) who were eager teammates and committed to our team's success as well as my own. Really hit the jackpot on this one. - I appreciated the rigorous focus on quality work output and constructive feedback, which I felt help me grow in my career more than anything else. - The client work was interesting across the organization,...

Cons

At the time, it was a relatively small shop and local work was limited, so on-site travel to clients was frequent and work/life balance suffered significantly. This is a fact of life for many consultants, and while many are successful and enjoy this type of lifestyle, it was not for me. I had no notable negative experiences in my time with ECG that would cause me to withhold a recommendation.

ECG Management Consultants2018-12-26
  2. "Becoming a Great Place to Work"

I have been working at ECG Management Consultants full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a good place to work. Lot's of smart people who help each other. The firm is doing a lot to become a great place to work. In the past few months leadership has communicated more meaningful information, included more people in important discussion, held all-employee staff meetings (previously the meetings were for different groups). There seems to be a genuine effort to engage with employees and address employee concerns...

Cons

Changes can take too long to make--some people want to analyze a lot before acting. I've seen people want to hold onto the old (albeit successful) ways of doing things so they are not as open to trying new approaches. The pay should be better for those at lower levels.

Advice to Management

Engage employees even more, tell us what you are doing/planning, and be more visible to all employees. Brag about and reward employees who succeed and do good work at all levels of the company.

ECG Management Consultants2018-12-12

"Amazing Colleagues, Subpar Senior Management, Abysmal Work/Life Balance"

I worked at ECG Management Consultants full-time

Pros

I truly felt that my experience at ECG enriched my project management, writing, and deliverable creation skills. The colleagues I worked with were extremely smart and self-motivated, which - especially if you're passionate about healthcare - can make your project work interesting. Additionally, depending on your manager and/or client, your working hours can be flexible (which can also be seen as a "con"). Some other "pros"...

Cons

The value of this content may vary on your personality traits and priorities in life, but the "cons" heavily outweighed the "pros" of working at ECG. The weekday work/life balance left me exhausted by the start of every weekend, and even then, I felt like there was routine expectation to be available to work on weekends even when availability (or lack thereof) was indicated. I truly felt like I was expendable; however,...

Advice to Management

Address the above issues and provide more transparency to your staff.

ECG Management Consultants2018-10-18
  4. "Consultant"

I worked at ECG Management Consultants

Pros

Lots of upward mobility and exciting project work.

Cons

Nothing major. Good benefits, pay, and coworkers.

ECG Management Consultants2018-10-16

"Growing and Improving"

I have been working at ECG Management Consultants full-time

Pros

- Interesting and challenging work, strong demand for services - Meritocracy with a strong culture of advancement and improvement - Office based environment, unusual for consulting, that fosters collaboration and social interaction - Improving firmwide communication structure (this was a struggle as the firm grew and completed two significant acquisitions) - Strong focus on helping individual consultants develop subject...

Cons

- demanding work environment with a high degree of unpredictability that is tied to client demands - significant travel for many individuals (which is also sometimes unpredictable - experiences for consultants at the same level can sometimes vary widely depending on client and manager assignments

Advice to Management

- do a better job of holding managers accountable for their direct reports' success (this is getting better, but could still be improved). - Seek ways to improve the experience of remote employees who work out of their homes and don't live in a city with an ECG office (this is increasingly challenging as the number of remote employees has grown) -

ECG Management Consultants2018-09-06
    • "Principal"

I have been working at ECG Management Consultants full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

ECG is a consulting firm that knows it's niche. We try to attract hard working, driven people who are passionate about healthcare. We are recognized by our clients as content experts.

Cons

ECG is the "best kept secret" in the industry. We don't have great market recognition. We need to work better at that.

Advice to Management

Find ways to create more buzz about our superior service and expertise.

ECG Management Consultants2018-09-04
    • "ECG is a great place to work!"

Pros

The increase in maternity and paid family leave is just a recent example of how much ECG cares about their employees. The team is also placing a renewed emphasis on their commitment to diversity and inclusion. These actions are a direct result of collaboration between employees and management.

Cons

A lot is expected of the consulting and corporate operations staff. To be successful at ECG, employees must learn to be efficient as the workload is challenging (and rewarding).

Advice to Management

Please keep listening to your employees. There is no "one size fits all" answer to employee engagement. People are individuals and so are their specific needs.

ECG Management Consultants2018-08-21

"I love working at ECG!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at ECG Management Consultants full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

It is exciting to work with other consulting professionals who are intelligent, motivated to do good work and dedicated to healthcare.

Cons

New consultants should be prepared to spend some time getting to know the ECG-way and how to incorporate it into their own style.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! There has been a lot of work done in the last 6-9 months to improve the culture and as a consultant - I am starting to really feel valued and appreciated!

ECG Management Consultants2018-08-13

"Top Shelf Company"

Pros

Management understands the people are their greatest asset. Throughout the interview process and the onboarding, I felt very cared for and cared about as a person not just another hire. Expectations were clearly communicated and they welcome new ideas and a different point of view.

Cons

Some may consider a con, but they are very office oriented if you're not at a customer site. I don't really see this as a con, because I personally like the comradery and synergy gained from being in the office.

Advice to Management

Continue the work that's being done to make ECG better and better.

ECG Management Consultants2018-08-08

"Great place to work, smart people, high integrity"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Smart people, market or higher compensation, great 401k/profit sharing, leading edge leave (maternity, baby bonding, family) policies, lots of snacks and drinks, work hard/play hard culture.

Cons

Work hard/play hard culture isn’t for everyone, engagements are primarily in the healthcare niche, performance expectations.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of letting people know just how good of a place ECG Management Consultants is to work and build better brand awareness to both potential clients and employees.

ECG Management Consultants2018-08-08