ECG Management Consultants Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Gary Edmiston

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "ECG is top-notch and has room to grow"

I have been working at ECG Management Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people at the company and interesting projects. Lots of pure strategy engagements with exposure to senior executives (clients). You'll have the opportunity to grow and advance if you are hungry for it. Lots of interaction with the firm's senior leadership. Generally supportive management. Great perks (snacks are provided, corporate card fee reimbursement, good amount of social functions).

Cons

Compensation can be more competitive; estimating about 10-15% below market, across the board. Depending on your manager, the hours can be tough. High billable targets can sometimes hinder the desire to work on anything else besides project work, making it difficult to innovate. Still pretty old-school on the technology side (software available to consultants). Some of the firm's leaders can be really set in their ways and are not open to change (not too common of an occurrence but its out there).

Advice to Management

Overall, ECG is a good place to work and I really enjoy being apart of the firm. The firm has the potential to really be a "great" place to work if some adjustments and investments are made. I hope firm leadership follows through with what they've been communicating about firm culture and focus on their people. In a business were human cap is your only source of revenue, employee compensation should be at or above market levels.

The firm is second to none when it comes to healthcare consulting, but not too many people (generally speaking) know who we are. Invest resources to gain better brand awareness. We proudly tell people where we work and our clients love us! Let's work on getting some national recognition as a consulting firm.

Praise employees when they are performing. Managers seem to put A LOT of focus on "development areas" and fail to recognize when someone actually excels or does a good job on something.

"The best as it gets in healthcare consulting"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at ECG Management Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Expert model
    Extremely intelligent and experienced personnel
    Non-compromising attitude to quality and delivery
    Tremendous learning opportunity
    Informal, geeky culture

Cons

The normal cons of consulting, nothing unique here - travel, long hours, work-life balance, etc.

"Administrative Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ECG Management Consultants full-time

Pros

*Excellent growth opportunities
    *Hardworking, but fun environment
    *Ample paid time off
    *Good benefits with low cost to employees
    *Focus on improving and prioritizing company culture

Cons

None that I can think of.

"Greatly under values employees and fails to live up to its potential as a consulting firm"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at ECG Management Consultants (More than 3 years)

Pros

-People are very smart and leadership are industry leaders
    -Very interesting work
    -Great exposure for those early in their career

Cons

-Horrible work life balance
    -Tense environment
    -Below average compensation for the industry
    -No communication from leadership
    -Leadership openly discusses it's opinion that all employees are replaceable
    -"Old boys club"
    -Unreasonable expectations and very little praise for accomplishments
    -Lack of career planning and support from administrative managers
    -Offices are sub par
    -Health insurance benefits are below average

Advice to Management

Stop paying culture lip service and feigning interest; instead, make policies and incentives for leadership and demonstrate that it is a real priority. Value your employees as people as opposed to treating them and expecting them to be robots. Focus on modernizing and becoming a modern employer instead of clinging to ways of the past and perpetuating bad experiences.

"Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at ECG Management Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary is market value, benefits are decent.

Cons

A lot of rude and ruthless, uncaring people.

Advice to Management

Understand why people are leaving in fairly big numbers over the past year, and learn from that, then action what you have learned.

"Sad culture/morale and disappointing leadership. Stay away."

I worked at ECG Management Consultants full-time

Pros

Decent benefits and interesting strategic projects

Cons

As a former Kurt Salmon employee, I was skeptical when ECG acquired KS for several reasons: 1. ECG’s lack of reputation/poor brand recognition in the market 2. Lower compensation/benefits packages. 3. Unclear strategic vision for the future of the firm. 4. Client work quality okay at best (all surface, no substance). However, I remained optimistic and stuck around to see how well the two firms would integrate. MISTAKE. It only took a short time to learn that (in addition to all of the above) ECG’s overall culture and morale, lack of transparency from leadership, and treatment of their employees was disappointing at best.

-Culture and morale: ECG has an outdated, office-based culture (Why do traveling consultants need offices in 2017?), resulting in largely empty offices with low morale. There is an unreasonable expectation that staff bill 100% of their time (85% billable work and 15% PTO) and billable hours/timesheets are micromanaged down to the second (e.g. “I see that you have 4 hours free this week. To fill your time, please copy and paste your life away and bill it to a client”). Consultants are often doing busy work that adds nothing to their professional development simply to fill up timesheets. This results in extremely overworked, poorly managed, burnt out, and undervalued staff.

-Lack of transparency from leadership: Major decisions are being made at the top and employees are not notified until leadership cannot hide it anymore. For example, firing the entire marketing department, cancelling the summer internship program, and letting go 25-30 legacy KS employees (& several other ECG consultants) is something that has downstream implications to remaining employees. Yet, ECG leadership denied it as “rumors” and continues to do so not only in the press, but on Glassdoor (look at their responses to reviews). It’s sad that leadership would rather protect their reputation as the “best place to work” than be honest about what’s actually happening. Judging by the major staff reductions coupled with their public claims of “strong growth,” it appears that leadership is positioning to sell the company.

-Treatment of employees: Consultants are treated as workhorses, expected to make the firm look good or make money at every moment. Leadership appears cheap (cancellation of company retreats/consultant bootcamps) and solely profit-driven. Employees have been asked to share glowing reviews on public forums (LinkedIn, Glassdoor, etc) to beef up appearances.

Advice to Management

Consulting is a human capital business and the world of healthcare management consulting is small. Treat your employees poorly, and you will feel the results sooner or later. Don’t deny the honest, constructive feedback provided on forums like Glassdoor. Spend some time evaluating your business internally and being a little more self-aware.

"Firm has Potential, Needs to Focus More on its People"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at ECG Management Consultants full-time

Pros

-Work is well-done and impactful
    -Nice offices
    -Good benefits
    -Ability to work remotely or in the office

Cons

I thought long and hard about writing this review, thinking the environment over the past six months was a phase, but the company culture and treatment of employees has continued to get worse.

I feel most sorry for the staff consultants, who are pressured to write lengthy and time-consuming proposals and articles for senior managers and above, and who also must maintain full billable hours each week. These workhorses do not receive credit for their work, and in fact it is the senior employees who are rewarded for "selling work". After many of the support and marketing staff were let go earlier this year, this work was again shifted to the consultants who do not have any time dedicated in regular job duties to perform this work.

Bad behavior from leadership continues for two reasons: this is how they were treated and managers are not compensated on their ability to successfully mentor and manage employees. Managers demand long work hours, rather than creating a more inclusive and balanced work environment, because that is how these legacy managers were treated as young careerists . Secondly, managers are mostly judged and promoted on selling work and are not meaningfully measured on their ability to be a good manager and mentor employees. Employees receive little management training, which shows in the dysfunctional team behavior. As another reviewer mentioned, the yearly retreat was loved by employees and was a great chance to network and create community within ECG. RIP.

Advice to Management

-Happy employees = creative, hardworking employees
    -Consider lowering the weekly billing requirement. You will be surprised what employees will come up with and sell when not tired, overworked, and stressed
    -Train all levels of employees to be high-performing and motivating managers. Build dedicated time into managements weekly job duties to mentor and manage their employees
    -Immediately message about firm changes before gossip gets out of control. Don't save this until all firm meetings (if it is even mentioned at all).

Apr 26, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns. We recognize how hard our employees work, and we value and appreciate the high quality of their contributions. Although hard to... More

"Low morale, culture getting worse"

Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at ECG Management Consultants full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Able to recruit from top firms and build smart teams that are very capable and sell cool projects

Cons

Terrible paternalistic, ultra conservative culture. Expectation that you bill 100% of your time except for your paid time off while also producing marketing material, writing articles, meeting new clients, and selling work. Most other firms recognize that you have to reduce the amount of billable time when you increase expectations in other areas. Really poor leadership and communication as evidenced by the recent overnight dismissal of the marketing department or laying off 25 kurt salmon employees after making public announcements denying that it was happening. What was an old boys club culture that felt like an abusive law firm from the 80s has gotten even worse. Salary and benefits are not competitive. Leadership asks employees to post comments on social media about what a great place to work it is without actually doing anything to make it a better place to work. Actually, while taking actions that make it a significantly worse place to work. There used to be a big company retreat that everyone loved - the one fun thing we did every year! But leaders canceled it because it meant employees weren't billing clients those 2 days and they couldn't tolerate that. At my last job, the company gave us sweatshirts and mugs with corporate logos on it - free advertising for them, right? ECG has a store where you have to go buy the corporate sweatpants if you want them. Easily expect to work 12 hour days, often more.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees are human beings and not profit widgets. Many of the decisions about how much employees should be working, how much you should pay them, what their benefits should be are very outdated, not competitive, and make leaders seem cheap.

Apr 7, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

There are a number of inaccuracies, misrepresentations, and outright falsehoods in this review. Rather than address these individually, we will agree that ECG has been going through changes related... More

"Top Notch"

Current Employee - Administrative in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ECG Management Consultants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ECG Management Consultants has a wonderful and warm corporate culture prepared for growth. ECG has a stellar upper level team in place to continue to sustain this company as the number one healthcare leader in the industry and make certain ECG is the best place to work for all employees. ECG values each career professional far above standard, starting with a thoughtful gift that arrived upon signing my contract for employment. What a surprise to come home and see this on the front doorstep. Another generous gift awaited me on my first day employed with ECG to continue to set the welcoming tone. ECG offers a new employee orientation that is very organized and offers extensive training and material to become familiar with firm policy and procedures. A staff member in each ECG location is available to get you any supply or office need required to be as productive as possible. Additionally, I was paired up with a Peer Mentor available for leadership. ECG offers a tremendous amount of personal leave days to each employee to ensure a healthy work life balance. The above standard ECG office environment offers ample snacks and drinks to make working hours as comfortable and productive as possible. These treats are constantly kept new and are extremely health and dietary need conscious. Quarterly social events with other staff members help create a cohesive team environment that I truly feel happy to be part of. A firm wide staff meeting happens more than once a year, that goes into detail about the performance and plans going forward for the firm. A beyond generous holiday staff event is held yearly to thank us for all the hard work. ECG is a phenomenal first class firm. A committee is in place to plan events that give back to our community, which again reinforces the true extraordinary nature of each person hired to work at this company. No special detail missed and ECG takes the time to show they care about each client and each career professional on an ongoing basis. ECG is made up of a very warm group of professionals, across the departments, and across the states, in each of ECG’s office locations, whom are exceptional to work along the side of. ECG Management Consultants are truly a firm that sets itself apart from ALL the rest.

Cons

Benefits offered for individuals with a family could be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Keep benefit packages offered a priority.
    Keep bonus system strong to ensure the amazing people you have found -stay here.

Apr 18, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on ECG. We are delighted you are happy working here. Me too!

"Comfortable, but old school"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at ECG Management Consultants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office and they take pretty good care of their employees. Great benefits. Plenty of opportunities for growth.

Cons

The office environment is kind of... stale. Also, the culture is waaaay behind. It's like we were working in the 80s or something. Staff is physically separated between two groups, support staff and consultants – which automatically made it hard to visit or get to know anyone on the opposite side.

Advice to Management

Do some research and see what other companies are doing culture-wise. Also, make your employees feel a little more like equals, even if their positions aren't. Start fresh and take some risks.

Apr 9, 2017 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I worked through the '80s and I find our culture to be light years ahead of those days. We encourage employees to share their thoughts and ideas... More