ECS Federal Reviews in Fairfax, VA | Glassdoor

Fairfax, VA

4.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
George Wilson

Pros
  • Very professional, keep up with employees and provide you good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are really good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • When the Federal Government shutdown for several weeks in 2013, employees had to use their vacation or they were not paid (in 3 reviews)

• But don't come here expecting salary increases, bonuses or incentives (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Company - Thanks for the opportunity"

Former Employee - Deputy Director of Security/Corporate FSO in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Deputy Director of Security/Corporate FSO in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ECS Federal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Support from Executive Management (Roy Kapani, George Wilson and Tom Weston/Anthony Schulien) down to the first line supervisors. While working at Corporate, the Executive Management was always approachable and willing to listen. ECS is a top notch company.

Cons

Employees need to understand the way the Government is operating today with low price wins the contract and rising Medical cost.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you've done since day one. ECS truly was the best company I ever worked for. Thanks for giving me the opportunity 6 years ago.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While I can only speak from a corporate point of view, ECS Federal has been a great place to work. They have a strategic vision and go about corporate development in an intelligent way. Management is transparent about the company's operations and goals.

Cons

As in most companies, some processes could be better defined and implemented and communication between divisions could be improved, but overall I have no significant complaints!

Advice to Management

Continue the transparency and make sure good people are retained as the company grows.

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, and I work with a lot of smart and hard-working people who seem to truly care about getting the job done and the growth of the company.

Cons

Communication from the top is lacking.

Advice to Management

Open up! We can handle it.

"Wow - An Amazing Company that CARES about its Employees"

Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I used to work for a company that made me fire a project manager the day before his wife was due to give birth. She called me up that day and screamed that I was trying to kill her baby. ECS is NOT that company. The management at ECS honestly cares about the well being of its employees. My spouse is having serious medical issues causing me to miss a lot of work. That company I used to work for would have fired me a long time ago. ECS is NOT that company. ECS management has been exceptionally flexible with me, allowing me to work remotely when needed to take care of my spouse. My manager has intentionally lightened my workload knowing that my family was going through these issues. At the same time my manager knew that my new puppy needed surgery and so what do you know? I got a nice bonus out of the blue to help me pay for it! I can honestly say I have never worked for such a caring company.
    Some of the things that most impress me about the way ECS operates include:
    1. We are invited weekly to attend the executive management meeting. This includes the weekly review of operations and the weekly review of business development activities. The financial health (strong) of the company is shared so that we understand how we are doing and how what we do impacts the bottom line in a positive or negative fashion.
    2. Monthly lunch and learns are held where individual projects are spotlighted. Information is shared; lessons learned are shared.
    3. People collaborate across business units on new business opportunities, regardless of which division will own the program if won. This allows the best and brightest subject matter experts to get exposed to all types of other programs.
    4. People are allowed to transfer from one program to another, including extra-divisional, with 100% support by management. This opens the doors to all employees for career advancement.
    The company also is very active in the community, giving to those in need.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open Communications and focused on putting the customer first. Sincere interest in promoting talented people from within the company. The management team seems to recognize the need for faster technology adoption. Also, focused on growth through acquisition, which theoretically should create opportunities for advancement. Company is also family oriented and throughs a nice holiday party.

Cons

Tough industry. The government doesn't seem very interested in quality these days and are more focused on cost at the expense of experience, so company is cutting cost to keep winning contracts. Could be trouble in the future.

Advice to Management

Please be consider expanding beyond government.

7. "Pleasant environment and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Corporate Facility Security Officer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Corporate Facility Security Officer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule due to family life. Roy Kapani and his key Executives care about their employees. Open communication with Mr. Kapani and his Executives.

Cons

Wish it were an ESOP company.

"No growth...top level managers don't listen...command and control center........stagnant career..below par pay."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of any......but if I have to come up with some they might be
    1. Lousy 1% or so yearly raise
    2. Yearly dinner party...and a $25 or so gift card per year.

Cons

1. No one cares about IT or engineering staff.
    2. If you are a man...you have no career growth....almost all managers and team leads are women
    3. They basically have command and control centers...and if you are not one of they types that NODS and everything and say YES you are in trouble.
    4. The top managers suck up to feds and basically do not give any details about what the agency wide strategy is going to be for the next few years.
    5. If you just do your work and not ask any questions they you are fine.

Advice to Management

OPEN your EYES and EARS and at least try to make amends.
    Implement a proper SDLC process.........embrace change..or you will be left behind.