ECS Federal Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
George Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very professional, keep up with employees and provide you good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Pay and benefits are really good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • When the Federal Government shutdown for several weeks in 2013, employees had to use their vacation or they were not paid (in 3 reviews)

• But don't come here expecting salary increases, bonuses or incentives (in 3 reviews)

1. "Pleasant environment and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Corporate Facility Security Officer in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Corporate Facility Security Officer in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule due to family life. Roy Kapani and his key Executives care about their employees. Open communication with Mr. Kapani and his Executives.

Cons

Wish it were an ESOP company.

"Solid Company and Growing Stronger"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Delivery excellence and employee welfare are top concerns with this Company. I have had nothing but positive experiences and excellent support from coworkers and the company staff since joining. You couldn't pick a better company to work for in the challenging and fluid consulting and federal contracting world.

Cons

I have not experienced any Cons thus far. I am really satisfied working for this Company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Solid company; good career opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Washington, DC

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has grown a lot over the past couple years which has increased opportunities for good performers. There is a good work/life balance. I have heard bad stories from people about their raises and job experiences at similar companies over the past couple years because of the slowdown of government spending. I think I am lucky to work at a company where I haven't experienced those problems and I think the pay is fair. The upper management seems to care about employees and does things like send a giftcard home every Thanksgiving to all employees and brings ice cream in, etc. to show appreciation.

Cons

Some of the processes are cumbersome like purchasing

"Wow - An Amazing Company that CARES about its Employees"

Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Mid Level Manager in Fairfax, VA

Pros

I used to work for a company that made me fire a project manager the day before his wife was due to give birth. She called me up that day and screamed that I was trying to kill her baby. ECS is NOT that company. The management at ECS honestly cares about the well being of its employees. My spouse is having serious medical issues causing me to miss a lot of work. That company I used to work for would have fired me a long time ago. ECS is NOT that company. ECS management has been exceptionally flexible with me, allowing me to work remotely when needed to take care of my spouse. My manager has intentionally lightened my workload knowing that my family was going through these issues. At the same time my manager knew that my new puppy needed surgery and so what do you know? I got a nice bonus out of the blue to help me pay for it! I can honestly say I have never worked for such a caring company.
    Some of the things that most impress me about the way ECS operates include:
    1. We are invited weekly to attend the executive management meeting. This includes the weekly review of operations and the weekly review of business development activities. The financial health (strong) of the company is shared so that we understand how we are doing and how what we do impacts the bottom line in a positive or negative fashion.
    2. Monthly lunch and learns are held where individual projects are spotlighted. Information is shared; lessons learned are shared.
    3. People collaborate across business units on new business opportunities, regardless of which division will own the program if won. This allows the best and brightest subject matter experts to get exposed to all types of other programs.
    4. People are allowed to transfer from one program to another, including extra-divisional, with 100% support by management. This opens the doors to all employees for career advancement.
    The company also is very active in the community, giving to those in need.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

5. "Best job ever!"

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management takes care of people - they actually care

Cons

Seriously, nothing to report here

"Response from former COO"

Former Employee - Former Chief Operating Officer in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Former Chief Operating Officer in Sterling, VA

Pros

This is Jeff Powell, the former COO referenced in previous reviews. I was made aware of the posts that mention myself, and while I appreciate the kinds words said about me, I would like to respond. First, i was not "abrasively pushed out" of the company. I left ECS for the opportunity to own and lead a small business, and the challenge of growing that business. It was a very positive move. Second, turnover at the ECS leadership level has been very low. Only a few people left in the last few years, and each had the usual reasons - retirement, career advancement, etc. None were related to myself as far as I know. Third, as pointed out, my current company continues to do business with ECS. I think that is because we are both trusted partners, and our company cultures are very similar. We enjoy working together. Last, ECS' owner has always cared deeply about his employees. That has never changed. ECS is a very successful company, and as ECS has grown over the years, strategies have been undertaken to not only survive in a difficult market environment, but also grow the company in a positive way (such as acquisitions). This has certainly resulted in changes, and the senior leadership always tries to make those changes positive for the employees. I want to say that nobody at ECS contacted me about these posts, or asked me to respond. I have no current interest, financially or otherwise, in ECS, and am only responding to ensure that new applicants know that the company continues to be run by very good people doing their best to create a positive culture for the employees. It has been, and continues to be a great place to work, as evidenced by ECS' recognition by Washingtonian magazine.

Cons

It is the nature of the government contracting business that most employees are directly billable on a contract. Therefore, the experience of an employee is heavily dependent on the nature of their assignment, their immediate manager, and their customer. The company can only do so much to create a positive culture when employees are spread across the country working for very diverse customers. While some benefit from opportunities for growth within the company, I can understand why others would become frustrated or feel stagnant in their current position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work of growing the company to create more opportunities for advancement for the employees, while recognizing and supporting your great employees!

"Analyst"

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ECS has been nothing but a positive experience. I can't speak for everyone, but the experience of an employee is dependent on the task in which they are assigned, their manager/supervisor, and their customer. I have only worked as a contractor but the experience has been nothing but pleasant.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about ECS.

"Great place for growth"

I have been working at ECS Federal (More than a year)

Pros

Promotions come from within, good people are rewarded with growth opportunities. Yearly raises are average but promotion raises are big.

Cons

Culture is specific to each contract, there is not a very strong company wide feeling.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at ECS Federal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While I can only speak from a corporate point of view, ECS Federal has been a great place to work. They have a strategic vision and go about corporate development in an intelligent way. Management is transparent about the company's operations and goals.

Cons

As in most companies, some processes could be better defined and implemented and communication between divisions could be improved, but overall I have no significant complaints!

Advice to Management

Continue the transparency and make sure good people are retained as the company grows.

10. "Great Company - Thanks for the opportunity"

Former Employee - Deputy Director of Security/Corporate FSO in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Deputy Director of Security/Corporate FSO in Fairfax, VA

I worked at ECS Federal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Support from Executive Management (Roy Kapani, George Wilson and Tom Weston/Anthony Schulien) down to the first line supervisors. While working at Corporate, the Executive Management was always approachable and willing to listen. ECS is a top notch company.

Cons

Employees need to understand the way the Government is operating today with low price wins the contract and rising Medical cost.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you've done since day one. ECS truly was the best company I ever worked for. Thanks for giving me the opportunity 6 years ago.