EDENS Reviews | Glassdoor

EDENS Reviews

Updated Dec 3, 2019

EDENS Chief Executive Officer Jodie W. McLean (no image)
Jodie W. McLean

"Incredible People, Innovative Company"

I have been working at EDENS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When I first joined EDENS I was not sure if I would stay long term as I value different experiences / roles in my career. At the time, I had an interest in real estate and it seemed like a great place to learn. The people I interviewed with were people I admired and wanted to work for. Over the years I have realized this is where I want to continue my career. - EDENS hires amazing people from unique backgrounds and skill sets (not all real estate backgrounds) so you would be surrounded by those who are smart, driven, and passionate. - You can be exposed to many opportunities across many different disciplines which helps you learn the business well. - EDENS is in many key major markets across the US so you can see and impact work happening across the nation. - Even though EDENS may seem like a national company, it also feels entrepreneurial and small, family-oriented. - I have been fortunate to have amazing leadership, management and mentorship throughout my time at EDENS. It really comes down the each person's own relation with their manager, and my experience in various roles has been challenging both professionally and personally. It is something I admire most about this company. - The CEO is visionary and encourages employees to challenge the status quo across all disciplines, all departments.

Cons

- It is a very fast paced environment, which is not for everyone. - If you want career advancement, this is not a place to clock in and clock out. Anyone who gets new opportunities or gets promoted does so because they care about the work they do and they do more than what is expected of them. Sometimes that may mean stretching outside of the 'job description' or working some evenings/weekends - so again, that may not be for everyone. - If you don't believe in the bigger mission, EDENS is not the right place for you. Everything comes back to that.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to your people. Great insights come from the manager/employee review conversations we have throughout the year.

EDENS2018-08-18
  2. "good place to gain experience"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at EDENS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I was given a lot of opportunity to learn here. People at all levels are involved in projects and interact frequently with leadership. Responsibility and promotions are given to those that work hard and seize opportunities. There's always a new project to work on and the mission of the company is outstanding.

Cons

The environment is fast paced. I liked that aspect of the work, but people that don't like challenges will have a hard time keeping up.

EDENS2019-12-03
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Not a Good Place"

Former Employee - Employee

I worked at EDENS full-time

Pros

People here are smart, and some are actually kind. Centers are pretty and have great retail -- it's a good product. The company has a high reputation in the REIT industry. Successful company that is profitable with pretty good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

This place is run by the developers who only care about their own and how much money they make. Too many people are miserable or afraid. Coworkeres dont even say good morning or just throw them under the bus. Bonus and training are only for the few. If your not in, your ignored. This is a boys will be boys culture where no one wants to go against the clique. While I was there, I also heard firsthand many sexist or racist comments made by people thinking it was funny or just lockerroom talk. Most higher ups are men, not alot of diversity. Made some good friends while there, but I really hope this place can get back to it's roots.

Advice to Management

Be nice. Take care of your employees. Theyre smart and will do the rest.

EDENS2019-08-28

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

Former Employee - Tax Accountant in Columbia, SC

I worked at EDENS full-time for more than a year

Pros

There literally are no pros to working here.

Cons

Its by far the worst place I have ever worked. If you want to be able to go to work and leave once you get everything done this is not a good place. They will make you sit in your seat until you have been there for 8 hours a day. People there that work hourly will complain if you leave and will tell your boss. The people you work for aren't the greatest you cant rank up unless someone else leaves. Nothing really gets done. This is a company living in the past where you cant work from home at all and there is NO flexibility. I am happy that I left to say the least and will never go back.

Advice to Management

Please do a better job when its comes to flexibility.

EDENS2019-07-19

"Low Integrity - Edens -- The Garden of..."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at EDENS full-time for less than a year

Pros

*Union Market concept innovative * Clients are hardworking, good hearted people

Cons

Beware; baby-boomers do not pass the baton here or freely share knowledge There is a very racist and classist work culture that stifles growth and inhibits transfer of knowledge. People of color, specifically hold mostly admin roles with no chance of promotion or growth. Expect harassment. It is every man for himself. No one is cordial. Very poor attitudes and very little patience with upper level management. This place is integrity challenged. Incredibly clique-ish and snobby environment to be in. Ultimately toxic.

Advice to Management

Take your staff seriously. Offer on-going job specific training. Help people grow into careers by offering nurturing environment, instead of fostering hostile and aggressive work culture.

EDENS2018-10-04

"Huge Ego's in DC"

Former Employee - Leasing in Washington, DC

I worked at EDENS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- overall good corporate culture - most like the quarterly meetings - nice portfolio

Cons

- huge ego's - leasing is a tough group to work in - Huge divide between Sr. Management in certain groups and the 'working class'

Advice to Management

Some Sr. Management very good, strong work ethic. Get consistency in corporate culture across all departments...this starts at the top. Why are some in Sr. Management so good and others who aren't tolerated?

EDENS2018-09-26
  8. "Administrative Assistant"

I worked at EDENS

Pros

Wonderful company culture! Nice staff, professionalism

Cons

Turnover of administrative staff, difficult to learn position quickly

EDENS2018-06-07

"anonymous"

I have been working at EDENS full-time

Pros

- Quarterly all hands, town hall style meetings. - Open and honest leadership. - Innovative and forward thinking environment. - Strong mission. - Leadership seeks to create a culture that listens and is inclusive.

Cons

- Very fast paced environment.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your employees and encourage constructive conversations. EDENS is really a tremendous place to learn and grow. Thank you for all that you do.

EDENS2018-05-14

"VP"

I worked at EDENS

Pros

Nice people, aggressive company, nice portfolio

Cons

Executive management has poor people skills

EDENS2018-05-19

"Ok, but alot of inside politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at EDENS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Most everyone is friendly and helpful. Great new building in heart of downtown Columbia.

Cons

A lot of insider politics as far as who gets the promotions. It's who you know and not what you know. Also, who you are having an affair with. Raises are hard to come by. Highers ups think they are above everyone else. Very snobby environment.

Advice to Management

Treat even those with the smallest positions with the same respect as the higher ups.

EDENS2018-02-22