EF Education First ESL Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 11, 2020

2.9
EF Education First CEO    Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult
  1. "EF Miami ESL teacher"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Miami, FL

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great first teaching job. Lots of on-the-job training Get to make your own lesson plans and conduct class as you wish.

Cons

Relatively low pay for the amount of work.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

EF Education First2018-02-15
  2. "Poor Service Affects Student Experience"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First for more than a year

Pros

great students; good learning content

Cons

No real-time teacher support; no performance feedback; immediate dismissal if you miss a class

Advice to Management

Give teachers a real-time method to contact you as other platforms do. Relying on having internet access to email you when a problem occurs is not enough. Students build long-term relationships with their teachers but the teachers can be fired at any time. How is that helping students to engage with an already tough learning platform?

EF Education First2019-11-20

"Don't work there"

Former Contractor - ESL Teacher

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

Their pre-set lesson made teaching easier.

Cons

Employers don't trust or respect teachers. Neither do they help teachers solve problems since the class is online and there are a lot of technical issues, but they try to blame teachers for the problem.

EF Education First2019-03-05

"Passive-Aggressive, Cruel, and Deceitful"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EF Education First part-time

Pros

Most of the employees are welcoming, easy to talk to, and fun to be around. As much independence as possible.

Cons

Teacher training is poor. Academic managers are never clear enough about what to do when certain teaching problems arise. Some of their suggested teaching techniques do not actually work. At the end of the day, academic management blames certain teachers and themselves when a teacher does something that could be perceived by management as "very wrong." They really do not do anything to actually help certain teachers perform to their fullest potential. They care more about the students' well-being than the teachers' well-being. Micromanagement is the academic director's guilty pleasure. The academic department completely disregards certain teachers whenever they can. Behavioral/mental health does not exist to academic management. I ultimately had to figure out everything about being an EF teacher all by myself.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate of your teachers. Teachers are just as important as the rest of the staff and the students.

EF Education First2018-12-09

"Online ESL teacher with EF"

Current Employee - Online ESL Teacher in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Able to make your own schedule -Not micromanaged -Can sub out 7 classes a month

Cons

Where do I begin.... - CONSTANT connection problems. The EF platform is incredibly unreliable. There is a video/voice delay during lessons, you and your student can both expect to be booted or experience connection issues during your lessons. - This happens every class. -I have been at EF Online for over a year and the technical issues have not lessened to gotten better in that time. -Must grade classes with 24 hours or it's considered a breach of contract and you'll likely receive calls/emails from management (the only time they reach out to you.) -MUST work 60 or more hours a month to be considered for a raise.. teachers get a raise every 7 or so months.. not by much, a dollar or so. I have been with EF for a year and a half and have NEVER received a raise =. I am still making the 'starting' teacher pay.. $12. I work at EF part time on top of my other job and I am unable to succumb to 60 hours a month because I have another job on top of EF. This rule is unfair, especially for teachers who have dedicated time to their company.

Advice to Management

Reconsider standards for pay raises. - ALL teachers work hard. Offer more mentorship. My mentor disappeared after the first week or so of my teaching. Get your platform technical issues figured out!!!

EF Education First2018-07-01

"The people are great. The salary is not."

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in San Diego, CA

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for more than a year

Pros

As an ESL teacher, the staff, administration, and students are great. It's a fun place to work.

Cons

The pay is terrible and there is not room for growth. Staff is expendable. There are a lot of expectations (lesson planning outside the paid amount) but little financial compensation. There is a HUGE turnover. Very little opportunity for growth.

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers a salary and give them benefits so they will stay.

EF Education First2018-03-25

"ESL Teacher - Untrustworthy and unstable employer and work environment"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

None- Do not take a job with this company unless you are really hurting for one

Cons

Managers yell at you, sexually harass you, belittle you, and corporate just turns the other cheek when current employees complain. Strong sales oriented admissions department students are viewed as numbers and nothing more. This school is getting rich off teens parents and as admissions reps we are trained with horrible sales tactics. They sell our programs to students by showing the school as a tourist attraction and promise to parents that they will learn English. Something that it is not true, no one is able to learn English in a place that it just to have fun and no academic goals.

Advice to Management

Please remember our mission is to educate the student. Do it right and good things will follow.

EF Education First2018-02-01

"Amazed I didn't die of frost bite from the cold shoulder"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Management is non-existent, you basically work as an independent contractor

Cons

Pay is mediocre, hours are long

Advice to Management

I really came to Shanghai with high hopes. In my mind I was hoping to join a team and hammer out ideas to create the greatest ESL school in Asia...if not the world. Unrealistic perhaps but still it was what I wanted. Instead of that, I got hit with contempt and disregard. I have been here for ten months, my CEM spent two hours training me and then a couple months later we chatted for ten minutes when he decided to chat with the team on an individual basis, and that has been it. In all the time I have been here, my line manager has given me zero feedback. Nothing bad, nothing good - nothing. Not once in the ten months I have worked for him has he asked me how things were going in terms of my teaching. I don't know, maybe non-communication is the latest management trend. I know I have done a good job, because lots of students have praised me for my work, and I have gotten lots of positive feedback from my Corporate Solutions clients. Two of which have told me that I was the best instructor they have ever had. Oh well, I am sure other teachers have had better experiences than me - but from my perspective...I just can't say anything good about the company...save for the students they were and are wonderful. Time to check out.

EF Education First2017-11-28

"A great place to start"

Current Contractor - ESL Teacher in Remote, OR

I have been working at EF Education First for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive entry-level wage for an ESL teacher with no experience. Quickly move up in pay within the first year. Decent reimbursement for required training, decent support team backing up teachers. You do not have to find your students, EF does this for you. You simply open up your availability for the week and are scheduled.

Cons

In summer there aren't as many hours available. Pay grade increases are more difficult after the initial first two years. Teachers are expected to maintain a nearly perfect ratings record-- I've never known a job to equate a 4 on a 1-5 scale, 5 being best, as sub-par. Nevertheless, EF does. No room to move up really, and it seems like unless you do some groveling you're not going to be invited to mentor or be noticed enough for even the smallest of their perks like a $25 reward for "best teacher" etc. They used to teach with Adobe Classroom-- an excellent tool. They now have a horrible platform with very few tools that is an exceptional pain to use.

Advice to Management

Perhaps offer students who require more advanced teachers or particular training like business, for example, an upgraded plan where they can pay more and eligible teachers can take these classes. Offer room for teachers to advance, and they'll stay with you instead of leave, which is what I'm currently trying to do ;) Also, reward teachers and students who've found each other and stay with EF for each other--

EF Education First2017-10-03

"ESL Teacher"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Thornwood, NY

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful campus, lovely international environment.

Cons

The school is treated as a business first and a school second.

Advice to Management

Make students a priority. Hire a professional HR employee that will hire and fire employees based on professional reasons.

EF Education First2017-09-14