EF Education First English Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Dr. Edward Hult

"Great Company"

Former Contractor - Online English Teacher in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

Best educational platform, competitive salary with great salary incentives, understanding tech staff when dealing with an on-line structure, able to fill up class schedule quickly, 1 to1 student/teacher ratio once a week, 24 hours to have write-ups done.

Cons

Early early early morning class times if you live on the west coast (PST), no leeway if you're late logging in (which is understandable for parents) but 3 minutes is not fair or long enough before system locks you out and it becomes a TNS. You're hired as an independent contractor so you have to do your own taxes.

Advice to Management

Have a more inviting teacher portal and access to helpful information. I really enjoyed the Chinese children I was teaching, but I think the online platform needs a different log-in system so great teachers don't have their contract terminated if they were a couple of minutes late because of technical difficulties.

EF Education First2020-01-04

"If you're teaching in China, this is a safe option"

Current Employee - English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Safe and legal. Regular, reliable payment

Cons

Poor work-life balance and unpaid overtime

EF Education First2020-01-15
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"EF Education First: A Predatory Company that Fishes for Naïve and Unaware Graduates"

Former Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Met some good friends there

Cons

Lies about travel opportunities Company refuses to help in times of need Flight to China is, in fact, not reimbursed First paycheck is a loan (unless you don't take it in which case you wait a month or more to get money) Most things recruiters tell you are lies, so take it with a grain of salt

Advice to Management

Stop lying to new recruits, pay them what they're worth, and work on bettering retention of your teachers, not just your over-paying students

EF Education First2020-01-16
  5. "Good for one year experience"

Current Employee - English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Give you all the materials you need.

Cons

Salary can be a bit low compared to other schools.

EF Education First2019-11-14

"Beware of Shady "Center Managers" and Lack of Communication Between Chinese and U,S, "Headquarters""

Former Contractor - Online English Teacher in Loveland, CO

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

You will most likely receive a lot of students if that is what you seek. The curriculum is built in and you can use your own materials, but most parents don't approve of this.

Cons

So many, but you don't realize any of them until after a month or so: 1. Parents can schedule you for 30 classes and then cancel you on a whim. This only happened to me twice, but can Luzon imagine how it feels when it happens to people a lot. 2. The American centers in the U.S. DO NOT communicate with the online EF support team. I provided documentation to the EF online center as to why I missed a class. The information and explanation is accepted by the EF online center and you receive a message that the "case is closed." You assume the situation is resolved. However, I received a RUDE message from someone in one of their U.S. hub locations telling me that I am breaching my contract. I explained that I provided documentation and the case was closed. I THEN provided the U.S. team the SAME documentation. They were very obtuse and told me that I could no longer work there because I missed classes that were already confirmed as excusable/reasonable absences. I was sent a blanket email terminating my employment and would not. Now, I had a fully booked schedule (200 plus classes per month for six months out), am a licensed teacher of many years, , TESOL certified, come highly recommended by families and former employers, liked by students, input a lots of materials into my classes, etc. I have taught ALL ages both in a brick and mortar schools for 12 year sand have taught online for five. I am good at what I do, but EF had zero faith in what I stated, were rude, unprofessional, AND sent an email terminating my teaching position that I put everything into. You are simply a number on a spreadsheet and not a teacher, and not an individual. BE CAREFUL. They present as very open to personal experiences, state that they are respectful that people have lives, mishaps, etc. I have a toddler and things do occasionally happen. I have never been more duped than anywhere else. They want to overwork you and hang you out to dry when you are experience! RUN. Do not teach heree

Advice to Management

HORRIBLE center management with NO experience. You will not be valued and dismissed with ease, no second thought about you as an individual. Disgusting.

EF Education First2019-10-06

"Good company"

Current Contractor - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

Organization, students, international environment, flexible, understanding staff

Cons

Pay, hours, no, no, no

Advice to Management

N/a

EF Education First2019-06-27

"Low pay but decent company"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First part-time

Pros

Good, well developed platform and decent flexibility.

Cons

Low pay and erratic availability of hours

EF Education First2019-05-17

"A lot of work and patience"

Former Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay, kids, travel opportunities, team building

Cons

very fast paced, a business not a school, can be overwhelming at times

EF Education First2019-04-12

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

Super flexible especially for people who want to travel or for stay at home moms.

Cons

Only get paid once a month

EF Education First2019-03-01

"Stay away from this company and its illegal payment policies"

Former Employee - Online English Teacher

I worked at EF Education First part-time for less than a year

Pros

it was flexible I guess

Cons

Maybe they've cleaned up their act since then, but when I was there, they committed a number of wage violations (fining employees who missed a class, classifying teachers as independent contractors) that resulted in the Attorney General of MA suing them on behalf of their employees.

Advice to Management

Maybe actually follow wage compensation laws

EF Education First2018-11-28