EF Education First Reviews | Glassdoor

Eddie Hult

1,081 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a little tricky (in 50 reviews)

• Not a ton of room to grow can have long hours at times (in 63 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company, culture, mission, and travel opportunities!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Mission is more important now than ever before. As we read about Brexit, wall building, etc., EF is a company that helps people build bridges across borders through education. Everything we do helps our customers create new opportunities for themselves through education.
    - EF has sent me abroad nearly 30 times in my 4+ years w/the company. And you're not just going to sit in a conference room in some random office or cookie cutter hotel, you're traveling with students and teachers, seeing the sights.
    - Amazing benefits and coolest office space in Boston. 4 weeks vacation after 1 year, great health/dental, language classes, restaurant/bar on the banks of the Charles River
    - The people! Phenomenal colleagues.

Cons

- Lots of the EF reviews on GlassDoor are from other global offices and schools and do not reflect the employee experience in our Cambridge, Mass.-based North American HQ.

Advice to Management

- Keep it up!

2. "Senior Sales Supervisor"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good working environment and kindly team members. Very focus on employees grows up with the company.

Cons

A little be sales pressure.

3. "Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some of the best people in the world and got to travel to some of the best places in the world. The events that are put on are incredibly fun. The benefits are incredible and i've not seen the same kind of health insurance or vacation time offered anywhere else. These two features are worth quite a bit of money, but it's hard for young 20 somethings to see this or appreciate it. This was my favorite job in my career so far. I would recommend it to people who are right out of college or early 20's who are driven, hardworking and goal oriented and love to travel.

Cons

Salary is very low and is not adjusted for cost of living which has gone up 13% in Denver in the last few years. No opportunity for career growth. They have professional development events to make everyone feel like there is opportunity but it is just a disguise to drink the cool aid and feel positive about the company again.

Advice to Management

Denver needs more opportunity besides sales positions. Just because more products are being offered doesn't mean there is opportunity to advance --just opportunity to do the same sales job in a different product.

4. "Great Company to work for"

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement, a competitive salary, and a smooth transition to a foreign workplace.

Cons

I have no complaints about English First at this time.

"Great place to learn and have a ton of fun doing it. Not a great place to progress your career"

Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for EF. The management is encouraging and pushes you to challenge yourself to find what you love. They support you when you need it and are hands off when possible. Teaching is a big part of what they do and you will learn a ton while you're there. The staff are amazing and it seems that everyone who works there is a funloving motivated individual who is excited to come to work every day.

Cons

The only con is that they do not pay a ton and it is hard to move your career forward. If you're looking for an opportunity to become a strong professional and learn about the ins and outs of sales and business, this is a great place to be. If you're looking for promotions and upward mobility, you may want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

It would be great to give a clearer path for progression and career development, but honestly, you've built something great and I wouldn't really change my experience with EF much at all.

6. "ESL Teacher"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Thornwood, NY
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Thornwood, NY

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, lovely international environment.

Cons

The school is treated as a business first and a school second.

Advice to Management

Make students a priority. Hire a professional HR employee that will hire and fire employees based on professional reasons.

"Decent place to work with nice people"

Former Employee - Traveler Support in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Traveler Support in Denver, CO

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The health benefits that were offered were very good. You work with a lot of great people. They offer some training for the TSS staff but not nearly as much as the sales department. There is a trip involved to help you better understand the tours you are selling. Lots of vacation time and they are closed on the weekends.

Cons

The job was advertised as a customer service job but make no mistake their goal is for you to sell everything to everyone. You are required to cold call people all day (even when people are trying to reach customer service for assistance) to try and get them to buy travelers insurance. You get paid MUCH less than the sales staff whose job is to get teachers on board and teach them how to recruit students to join their tour. More people quit the roll than move in the company. Suggest you try for a "Tour Consultant" role as it is a much better position to hold within the company.

8. "Summer instructor as ESL Teacher"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Brighton, MA
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Brighton, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting work with students from all over the world! There is a standard weekly curriculum but one can also augment the weekly topics using their own
    related exercises. (and integrate art, music, games, etc. related to the topic).

Cons

From summer to summer the number of students can change...and there may or may not be a job available. (This summer was told that there were no longer Saudi students...whether this is related to U SA politics or the Saudi government, I'm not sure...).

Advice to Management

Diversify the marketing a bit by country year by year if some countries will no longer be sending their students. (And value your summer teachers as well as those who work all year long...).

9. "EF, Tarrytown NY campus"

Former Employee - Teacher in Tarrytown, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in Tarrytown, NY

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great collaborative staff. A lot of available help from management. Lessons prepared for you or you could do your own lesson as long as you hit the key points of the original lesson.

Cons

low pay, not a lot of room to grow due to lack of positions, adult students can be much more demanding & rude at times.

"Teacher"

Pros

Easy Schedule and fulfilling work

Cons

Incompetent Management and low pay

Showing 1,081 of 1,232 reviews