EF Education First Reviews | Glassdoor

Eddie Hult

1,085 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a little tricky (in 50 reviews)

• Not a ton of room to grow can have long hours at times (in 63 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing company, culture, mission, and travel opportunities!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Mission is more important now than ever before. As we read about Brexit, wall building, etc., EF is a company that helps people build bridges across borders through education. Everything we do helps our customers create new opportunities for themselves through education.
    - EF has sent me abroad nearly 30 times in my 4+ years w/the company. And you're not just going to sit in a conference room in some random office or cookie cutter hotel, you're traveling with students and teachers, seeing the sights.
    - Amazing benefits and coolest office space in Boston. 4 weeks vacation after 1 year, great health/dental, language classes, restaurant/bar on the banks of the Charles River
    - The people! Phenomenal colleagues.

Cons

- Lots of the EF reviews on GlassDoor are from other global offices and schools and do not reflect the employee experience in our Cambridge, Mass.-based North American HQ.

Advice to Management

- Keep it up!

2. "Senior Sales Supervisor"

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good working environment and kindly team members. Very focus on employees grows up with the company.

Cons

A little be sales pressure.

3. "Tour Consultant"

Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good travel opportunities (the only reason this job got a 3). Great brand team who is adept at covering up negative reviews on glass door.

Cons

Very bad pay for the amount of work you are required to do.
    The bonus system is based off unattainable goals. Whatever numbers you got the previous year, even if it was the best year your territory has ever had, they will ask you for a 20% increase the following year in order to receive you bonus. This is why people leave after 2 years. Also, there are very few ways to move up. There are only ways to move horizontally. Also, management will treat you like a child and attempt to use "free beer" or "free swag" to distract employees from their low pay. They will also choose favorites, which would be fine, except that the ones they dont choose are chosen to suffer in meetings filled with inappropriate topics and passive aggressive comments.

Advice to Management

Go back to school and learn some real management techniques. You are all petty. Try to be professional. Stop spreading rumors about your employees and act like adults.

After YEARS of employees complaining about the pay, you spend millions o dollars on a BIKE TEAM?! Great job. good thinking. way to show off how much disposable money you have. smart.

4. "Territory Manager"

Former Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Territory Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with some of the best people in the world and got to travel to some of the best places in the world. The events that are put on are incredibly fun. The benefits are incredible and i've not seen the same kind of health insurance or vacation time offered anywhere else. These two features are worth quite a bit of money, but it's hard for young 20 somethings to see this or appreciate it. This was my favorite job in my career so far. I would recommend it to people who are right out of college or early 20's who are driven, hardworking and goal oriented and love to travel.

Cons

Salary is very low and is not adjusted for cost of living which has gone up 13% in Denver in the last few years. No opportunity for career growth. They have professional development events to make everyone feel like there is opportunity but it is just a disguise to drink the cool aid and feel positive about the company again.

Advice to Management

Denver needs more opportunity besides sales positions. Just because more products are being offered doesn't mean there is opportunity to advance --just opportunity to do the same sales job in a different product.

5. "Great Company to work for"

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement, a competitive salary, and a smooth transition to a foreign workplace.

Cons

I have no complaints about English First at this time.

6. "Online teaching"

I have been working at EF Education First part-time

Pros

The majority of the students are serious and work hard in class.
    The classes are generally a positive experience for both teacher and student.
    Th platform works well, although individual students do have regional internet issues.

Cons

Students randomly select classes and hence the other students attending, so language levels and interests are often unequal.
    Teachers can only open availabilities and have no control over group, or private, or booked lessons. In other words, you cannot determine how many hours you work every week. So the income is very incremental and not dependable.
    Pay is very low for any experienced teacher.
    There is no human support or even a contact to call. Everything goes through the central portal to a random person for a reply.

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers more.
    Allow your teachers to determine how many hours they will teach.
    Allow students to find and book a specific teacher so they can progress according to their learning style.

7. "Homestay Coordinator or Housing Coordinator"

I worked at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Clean, active, interesting, sometimes fun

Cons

money-centric, totally did not care about students, just money

Advice to Management

Make people feel like people, not money signs

"Great place to learn and have a ton of fun doing it. Not a great place to progress your career"

Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working for EF. The management is encouraging and pushes you to challenge yourself to find what you love. They support you when you need it and are hands off when possible. Teaching is a big part of what they do and you will learn a ton while you're there. The staff are amazing and it seems that everyone who works there is a funloving motivated individual who is excited to come to work every day.

Cons

The only con is that they do not pay a ton and it is hard to move your career forward. If you're looking for an opportunity to become a strong professional and learn about the ins and outs of sales and business, this is a great place to be. If you're looking for promotions and upward mobility, you may want to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

It would be great to give a clearer path for progression and career development, but honestly, you've built something great and I wouldn't really change my experience with EF much at all.

9. "ESL Teacher"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Thornwood, NY
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Thornwood, NY

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful campus, lovely international environment.

Cons

The school is treated as a business first and a school second.

Advice to Management

Make students a priority. Hire a professional HR employee that will hire and fire employees based on professional reasons.

"Decent place to work with nice people"

Former Employee - Traveler Support in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Traveler Support in Denver, CO

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The health benefits that were offered were very good. You work with a lot of great people. They offer some training for the TSS staff but not nearly as much as the sales department. There is a trip involved to help you better understand the tours you are selling. Lots of vacation time and they are closed on the weekends.

Cons

The job was advertised as a customer service job but make no mistake their goal is for you to sell everything to everyone. You are required to cold call people all day (even when people are trying to reach customer service for assistance) to try and get them to buy travelers insurance. You get paid MUCH less than the sales staff whose job is to get teachers on board and teach them how to recruit students to join their tour. More people quit the roll than move in the company. Suggest you try for a "Tour Consultant" role as it is a much better position to hold within the company.

Showing 1,085 of 1,236 reviews