EF Education First Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
EF Education First CEO Eddie Hult
Eddie Hult

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance was very difficult (in 44 reviews)

• With ownership comes occasional long hours (in 52 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I love my job!"

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Fun and humor are part of the every day. The core values and mission are important at EF and you see them personified every day. It’s a truly entrepreneurial environment where your ideas are not only heard but acted upon. You have the opportunity to develop skills and own your career in a way you don’t have at other companies. You are part of the energy that works to continually make it an even better place.

EF isn’t just a place you come to work, the great perks and benefits you have help make it a community where you meet a lot of people and build a network of colleagues that become lifelong friends.

Cons

There isn't a road map for how your career will progress. What you get from your job is what you make of it. Opportunities are not handed to you; you have to create your own path of advancement and development opportunities.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people!

2. "EF Language Division"

Pros

EF is very open to innovation and hearing out your ideas
    Reoccurring training sessions
    Direct management resources always available

Cons

Employees should expect to pay for all costs on personal credit cards and submit reimbursements. I ended spending A LOT on events and materials for EF.

Management is open to hearing your future internal goals, but will guide you in the path to the next position they want you to go that is best for them, even if it may not be for you

Not much room for growth

You are 1 of 50,000 + employees. You are a number.

Very, very low compensation but great benefits. Ultimately not worth it for me.

Work-life balance is difficult. Most days I was working 10- 12 hours in office.

3. "Good place to work and upskill"

Former Employee - Teaching
    Former Employee - Teaching

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, training, hours, events for staff

Cons

Changing of classes every second week for higher levels. Sales VS Teaching staff is a problem.

5. "Good for those coming right out of college, bad for everyone else"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good for young people, gives a lot of people with little to no experience a shot.

Cons

If you are coming up on 30 years old or older, don't waste your time with this company. The pay is nothing, and even management roles pay less than other companies. Also, the employee turnover rate is super, super high. I've only worked there for a year and my entire department is practically brand new.

Advice to Management

Pay more. Lose the cheap labor model and make it a company where people want to invest their time and GROW.

6. "Great teaching environment"

Former Employee - ESL in Redondo Beach, CA
    Former Employee - ESL in Redondo Beach, CA

I worked at EF Education First part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment for teachers and students! Easily accessible resources at hand for both teacher and student with a great library to utilize for all types of course work. Also, the administration was extremely accommodating and supportive of their teaching team, in regards to maintaining order in and outside the classroom.

Cons

Communication was an issue, nothing really major, but more of the lack of it; however, this was a very small issue but with new and incoming teachers it is something to keep your eye out for.

Advice to Management

Address issues head on with a person involved and make sure to never say one thing then do another; in other words, please don't engage in any actions without the individuals full understanding of what is transpiring.

7. "Program Coordinator"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic travel benefits, health insurance and time off policy. There is a growing focus towards professional development opportunities. EF hires for the person, and I really like everyone I work with - it is a social, fun work environment.

Cons

Very high employee turnover rates as many positions are entry level with high volume and repetitive work. Low pay on average for the industry

Advice to Management

Invest in employees financially and with continued professional development and people will be more invested in their positions and company overall.

8. "Fun place to work with good benefits, lots of responsibility early"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at EF Education First full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Even entry level positions have a lot of responsibility in their roles. The benefits are great, medical, dental and travel.

Cons

The pay can be low.

Advice to Management

Listen to lower level staff. They do the bulk of the work especially with clients, listen to their feedback!

9. "Great place to start your career"

Pros

great environment, fun, laid back, great teamwork

Cons

turnover is high, hard to move up

EF Education First Response

Jan 25, 2017 – Senior Director of People Operations

Thank you for your feedback! We're proud of the training, autonomy and culture that we offer all of our staff, and agree that this is a terrific place to start a career. We're working hard to ... More

"Roller Coaster- Worth the Ride"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here certainly has its ups and downs, but at the end of the day I'm glad I work at EF. I genuinely enjoy my job, my coworkers are amazing, I've taken full advantage of the AMAZING travel perks, and I truly believe we are opening the world through education every day.

Cons

Working at EF sometimes feels like riding a roller coaster because everything changes all the time. The biggest issues we face are staffing/retention and properly training middle management. Both are very fixable problems if properly addressed!

Advice to Management

Being a great salesperson and being a great manager are two very different things. Please consider this when deciding who to promote internally for management opportunities.

EF Education First Response

Jan 19, 2017 – Senior Director of People Operations

Thank you for your review! I love that you're making the most of your travel opportunities -- one of my favorite things about working here, too -- and am glad that you enjoy your job and coworkers ... More

11. "Great atmosphere"

Former Employee - QA Manager
    Former Employee - QA Manager

Pros

Awesome people, great atmosphere and values

Cons

Only lasted until the contract expired