EF Education First Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2020

3.5
EF Education First CEO    Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult
  1. "A fun and engaging place to work"

Current Employee - Traveler Support Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great culture, friendly co-workers, passionate to deliver excellence

Cons

Limited opportunities to move up within company in Denver, need to move to other offices. Not great financial compensation

Advice to Management

Bring more teams and departments to Denver to retain employees

EF Education First2019-11-06
  2. "Rewarding and Tiring chance to work with students from around the world"

Former Employee - Group Leader

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meeting students from all over the world, going into NYC every week, good accomodations

Cons

odd hours, long days, unprofessional

EF Education First2019-11-20
  3. "Fun Atmoshere!"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Great Company with opportunity to travel!

Cons

Work/Life balance can be a challenge

EF Education First2019-11-04
  4. "Good for one year experience"

Current Employee - English Teacher

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Give you all the materials you need.

Cons

Salary can be a bit low compared to other schools.

EF Education First2019-11-14

"Most unprofessional company I have ever worked with."

I worked at EF Education First

Pros

Getting to see China for two weeks.

Cons

Poor management of the center I was assigned to. No one to ask questions about the expectations of the job without getting fired for not blindly trusting the company. Intimidation tactics and lies were used, I am fairly sure my firing was racially motivated as I was given a termination letter within ten days of my arrival with no reason listed, no way back to my home country, and no salary for the time I worked. When I asked for a reason for my firing, I was given no response, and had the police called on me. The center director lied to the officer and told them I attacked her. There were cameras all over the center that refuted her claim. The officer escorted me back to my hotel and from there I coordinated with my family to get a return flight booked. I have heard no follow up from this company since my unlawful firing. I spent a great deal of money and time preparing for this teaching position and overseas move, and to have that completely disregarded after working with this company for such a short period of time was extremely disappointing. If you’re going to fire someone, attempt to leave them stranded in a foreign country, and get them in trouble with immigration, provide a reason at least.

Advice to Management

Provide a safe environment for people to ask questions about the place they will be living and working in for the next year of their lives without petty retaliation. Unlearn your racism as well. It’s gross.

EF Education First2019-12-02

"Ef360 program is a glorified internship (intern ++)"

Former Employee - EF360 Tech Trainee in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

The rotational aspect of the program was great for figuring out what technologies I was interested in working with (eg. mobile development, microservices, cloud development). I would spend perhaps 3 months on one team and then move to another once I finished up a main project. In terms of travel, I did get the opportunity to travel abroad, but due to personal conflicts, I asked the company to send me on an EF tour in NYC and they kindly accommodated. The office is also beautiful, and the park outside of the office is great for having walking meetings, one-on-ones, or simply relaxing. Furthermore, although a bit pricy at times, it is quite convenient to have Lingo (the company cafe) right on the bottom floor.

Cons

Firstly, the lack of attention that people of color get at the Boston office is severely lacking. EF utilizes minimal effort when it comes to recruiting a diverse workforces, and, although this has been addressed to many executives (including the CEO), management refuses to do anything about it. For example, when a black employee brought this problem to the CEO, the CEO responded with "but we have many international offices in places like China and Europe". Although I did learn a lot during my time at EF, it became evident at the very beginning of my time at EF that the company does not invest very much in their employees. Although there is a rotational aspect to the program, there is very little direction once you arrive on the team. There was also minimal communication from my manager and the team I was entering, which made my entrance into the teams quite abrupt. They advertise the "independent" aspect of the program as a pro, but they forgot to consider that you need SOME direction and guidance when it comes to projects. They seem to expect that one person can be a programmer, pm, designer, scrum master at once without any help. Furthermore, the reason why this program felt like an over-glorified internship was because I seemed to always be given miscellaneous projects that died the moment I left a team to start the next project. The teams themselves were always too busy with their own responsibilities to maintain the projects. I joined the program mainly because of the supposedly high impact.

Advice to Management

Put more effort in hiring people of color and raise peoples' salaries. You're a billion dollar company who is taking advantage of young, energetic people who will grind for 2 years and then leave from burnout.

EF Education First2019-11-23
  7. "Fun job, amazing experience"

Current Employee - Activity Leader

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Its an excellent company to work with. Work mates and whole team are extraordinary. Such a fun and great experience.

Cons

Have quite a lot of responsibilities and the pay does not match the amount of work.

EF Education First2019-10-20
  8. "Great atmosphere!"

Former Employee - Travel Operations Coordinator in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

lots of perks-parties,travel, bar fitness studio young employees

Cons

low salary (perks instead of pay) high turnover

Advice to Management

there might be less turnover if the pay was slightly higher

EF Education First2019-10-21
  9. "Great culture, great people, little pay and mobility"

Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Travel perks, over-the-top company events, fun culture, great people

Cons

Slow mobility in moving up in roles, little pay because they know a lot of people want the job

Advice to Management

Pay your sales people more so they don’t leave after doing really well to other companies that will give them more money.

EF Education First2019-10-18
  10. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company has great culture, working with fun people

Cons

Very low pay, high turnover

EF Education First2019-10-16