EF Education First Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2020

3.6
EF Education First CEO    Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult

"Fun people and culture but bad pay and management"

Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of young fun people, good for just getting out of college, fun activities

Cons

Feel like you are in high school, terrible pay, poor management that only cares about goals and making their own money and not concerned with you, you are replaceable, long hours expected with no over time

EF Education First2019-10-22
  2. "If you're looking for a company that cares about and values its employees, look no further."

Current Employee - Enrollment and Match Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

EF is truly a community that values its employees. At a surface level, it's very obvious that the benefits and salaries are more than generous. The people in my department are extremely respectful, and there is a huge effort put forth by management to be communicative and transparent. This is really a company that values teamwork, support, communication, and the happiness of its employees. I haven't been here long, but this is already, very clearly, the best company that I have ever worked for. It's no wonder that most people who work here stay here. If you're looking for a company that cares about and values its employees, look no further.

Cons

I haven't been working here for long, but so far the only con that I can see is that sometimes it gets windy between the Boston campus's buildings. I think I'll live.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, because you're doing it amazingly. Your communication, consideration, thoughtfulness, and passion for what you do is completely evident and identifiable in every interaction.

EF Education First2019-10-09
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Like getting paid (not enough) to go to high school again"

Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Traveling for free but only if you have never left the states before. You could also just make more money elsewhere and travel on your own without high school children

Cons

Management is immature. Bizarre workplace all around. Culture sets out to be "cool" with start up vibes when in actuality you are working for an extremely corporate place. Money is #1 priority, not "mission driven"

Advice to Management

HIRE EXTERNALLY. As soon as I left EF I felt a an enormous weight lifted after 2 weeks working elsewhere. Trainings on appropriate workplace culture and dynamics between higher ups and their employees i.e. identifying behavior that is borderline abusive etc. NEEDS to be incorporated at EF. It's like the same people are recycled and moved around on the management level and no fresh insight/outlooks are brought to the table. Folks are hired as managers who have no business managing actual people.

EF Education First2019-11-07

"Toxic, exploitative and very poorly paid"

Former Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

They will insist that traveling and company events are special perks and at first they seem like it. You have no freedom while traveling and once you’re on trips it’s no longer a “perk,” but suddenly a “privilege.” They do have the most flexible sick time policy, and the building is nice.

Cons

High school environment and attitude, all the way up to senior management. Managers that are absolutely unfit to manage others and behave in inappropriate, toxic and borderline abusive behavior. Managers Skyping with one employee about another teammate while you’re all sitting in the same pod is one small example. Pay is terrible and even if you do hit goals and benchmarks, your bonuses are contingent on technicalities that are often beyond your control. Insist on a culture of authenticity and sincerity while the meanest people you meet are promoted. Hire right out of college so employees don’t know better and are too young to speak up about illegal overtime and other exploitative behavior. ALWAYS being sued by former employees. Money matters more than anything else.

Advice to Management

Don’t send all of your employees an article about how the company’s founder is a billionaire and flew all his friends private to Hong Kong for his birthday and then tell them you can’t pay them more. Don’t build a rock wall on campus and then tell your employees you can’t pay them more. When you receive 4+ HR complaints about the same manager, do something! Hire from outside and invest in some management training.

EF Education First2019-11-07
  6. "You get what you get"

Current Employee - Educational Tour Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time

Pros

Working with incredibly interesting and adventurous people, MULTIPLE travel perks, fun office events/meals/drinks provided, well-known global education company, opportunities for growth and development (IF you put in the work - not rocket science), opportunities to join focus groups based on your strengths/interests which will help you develop in the long run, great PTO (in addition to said travel perks), great benefits, beautiful office

Cons

The pay - BUT, $5-10k travel perks a year and a fun environment make it bearable and worth it, and it doesn't look any different than any other entry level salary in Boston

Advice to Management

Goal structures across teams (and even within teams) are totally unfair. There should be a product wide fixed guideline to hold everyone accountable for the same level of growth. Working for a more challenging manager screws you out of being able to earn your bonuses (but I'm thankful for everything else that comes along with a challenging manager).

EF Education First2019-10-03
  7. "A great company for new college graduate"

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

It was an amazing environment to work at for recent graduate that wants to explore international education

Cons

After a few years, there are not that many opportunities for growth. It was difficult to keep up with the SF living standard after awhile.

EF Education First2019-10-17
  8. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Resident Advisor in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at EF Education First part-time for more than a year

Pros

Resident Advisors receive free room and board as benefits for living on-campus. Great work-culture and fun environment when supporting international students. Rewarding work.

Cons

Living on-campus means that you will need to be available to support students even when you're not on-duty. Company encourages a "can-do" attitude which means that you may be asked to complete tasks which are beyond your listed responsibilities. This could also be viewed as a benefit, depending on your goals.

Advice to Management

N/A

EF Education First2019-10-01

"great people - not great pay"

Current Employee - Tour Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great people, great perks, great mission

Cons

you will be poor and perks cant pay the bills

EF Education First2019-09-26

"Good company culture"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company culture, great community, professional development opportunities.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, uncertain career growth

EF Education First2019-09-25

"Underpaid, Overworked, Micromanaged, Juvenile Atmosphere"

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have none. The most stressful, chaotic, place I've ever worked.

Cons

Trained to "provide support to foreign exchange students" according to the interview. Once you're an employee you find out your handling intense cases that should only be handled by a trained social worker. 80 host families and exchange students is a "normal workload" and you're expected to attend weekend conferences with no pay, which is completely illegal.

Advice to Management

I wouldn't waste my time. That company will never change. They make too much money by hiring just out of college employees that don't know how underpaid and overworked they are.

EF Education First2019-10-29