EF Education First Software Developer Reviews

Updated Jan 10, 2021

2.8
EF Education First CEO  Dr. Edward Hult
Dr. Edward Hult
  1. "Great summer internship"

Former Intern - Software Developer Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

Very knowledgeable coworkers from which to learn. Great tools and workshops for professional development. They are invested in you and your time there.

Cons

Possibly a long commute, but that is part of living in Boston.

2. "Great Environment"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First for more than a year

Pros

Lots of freedom and you can make a big impact. Treated like a full time Software Engineer.

Cons

None. EF is a great place to work.

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Somerville, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Travel all over the world, and great salary

Cons

managers have no idea what's going on

4. "Long term employee"

Current Employee - Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting sector, not entirely profit driven, world wide opportunities, dedicated to their mission, privately owned .

Cons

Might wish to use some of the education money to hire experienced people from other sectors to improve business practices within the company . Not enough experienced staff, mostly educated in the job with little to non outside exposure.

Continue reading

"Great place for programmers"

Current Employee - Lead Developer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work/life balance, thoughtful and experienced coworkers, opportunities to travel ... i really love working here.

Cons

we are heavily invested in the .net stack. some developers don't like it; i've learned to appreciate alot of the tools we use: Sql Server, Visual Studio (with resharper), C#, Asp.Net, React.Net et c.

Continue reading

"Place to start, not to grow"

2.0
    Software Developer in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First for more than 3 years

Pros

Party culture, young employees. Nice new facilities in Boston. Expect to make friends here. Great place to start a career, as a developer you'll get to contribute to software used daily, and interact with those very users. Great product you'll feel good working on. Potential for travel perks.

Cons

Little room for growth. Stale technology and ignorance towards developing trends. Noncompetitive salary. Poor retirement package. Company culture to hire young and replace with a new generation once they become dissatisfied. Very shallow depth of experience in tech team.

"Great people, atmosphere and opportunities"

Software Developer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at EF Education First

Pros

EF has great people with amazing team dynamics, making the work atmosphere very pleasant. Management offers many opportunities to developers to grow and own projects.

Cons

EF doesn't give out stock.

8. "Greatly Exceeded Expectations"

Former Intern - Mobile Developer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EF Education First for less than a year

Pros

I was an undergraduate 4th year student, working part-time as a mobile developer intern with little experience in iOS development. The progress we made was super fulfilling! We kept momentum, thought carefully about what we could improve, and got things done. I learned everything I know about Objective C and Swift here. Thomas helped us create organized code, and he was careful. I loved the experience and learned a lot! The culture is very uplifting. The people look great and professional. The people are really really nice. The office looks amazing! You will be stunned! There's food at Lingo Bar and Grill downstairs that you can purchase for lunch. If you join as a mobile app developer intern, you will learn a lot and contribute to quality, careful code under great supervision. At least I did under Thomas. Even near the end of my time at EF, we were making a lot of progress and thinking ahead because we cared.

Cons

For software engineers, the development process can feel not so unified among other EF offices. Each office does its own thing, which is fine because EF has many different divisions and functions. But I would like to see information from other offices on their development process or tips, which was not available through a unified documentation portal. I think that other teams (design, marketing, etc.) could be more integrated with the development team. When it came to design, I felt that the design team would give a design without explaining the decisions made. I should have advocated for more meetings between us, developers, and the design team in particular to get a feel for what they were thinking, but I was too shy.

"Not a place to make a career"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, the headquarters in Boston is beautiful, great people across the company. There's also a great opportunity for traveling to their other offices or sales kickoffs. Lots of free alcohol.

Cons

- Very low pay. No bonuses, no equity, and you pay for everything, such as coffee. The company itself is very cheap despite making enormous sums of money. - Management is pretty horrible across all levels. Good workers are generally not recognized and leave as a result. - Work / Life balance is a core value, but usually not respected by managers - No clear professional development path - "Perks" are a joke, especially if you aren't interested in sporting events (subsidized tickets is their main perk) - Everyone in all departments are treated as short-term employees - EF is a revolving door and they have a real hard time retaining talent. It makes it hard to build a strong team if you become a veteran EF employee after 3 years of working there. This works okay for sales positions, but for technical, marketing or finance positions, filling those gaps is incredibly hard on everyone.

Continue reading

"Great place to start after college, but the party does get stale."

Former Employee - Senior Developer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at EF Education First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits. People you work with are awesome for the most part. Location is superb and building is awesome. Bar downstairs is used frequently, and parties are great.

Cons

Not much room for growth on a career level. Certain people in middle management are slowing everyone else down and fostering a "boys club" mentality.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 68 English Reviews