EF English First English Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

EF English First English Teacher Reviews

Updated Oct 10, 2019

2.7
EF English First CEO 	Jacob Toren (no image)
Jacob Toren

"Online English Teacher"

Former Employee - Online English Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at EF English First part-time for more than a year

Pros

This is an amazing company to work for. The management team is great, always ready to help if you need it. The training was good too. You can pretty much work as much as you want.

Cons

I don't have any complaints about this company.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

EF English First2016-08-24
  2. "It's alright as a part time gig"

Current Freelancer - English Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at EF English First for less than a year

Pros

You can set your own hours and work as little or as much as your want. It is also remote and you don't have to speak like a character from a children's cartoon.

Cons

The starting pay is only about 12 bucks an hour. You can find other jobs teaching children for 18-24 bucks an hour. I will probably seek employment at another company You can increase your pay but you have to work with them for a long period of time. The maximum is only 15 bucks.

Advice to Management

Raise base salary if you want to keep your teachers. Your good teachers are going to leave for other companies.

EF English First2019-05-01
  3. "Descent pay"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Decatur, GA

I have been working at EF English First part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They always pay you on-time.

Cons

Recently I can't get enough hours.

EF English First2019-04-12

"Racist and will treat you like trash. If you aren’t white don’t apply!!!! Please stay away from this company!"

Former Employee - English Teacher in China, ME

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

They will like only white people. If you are white this is great for you!

Cons

They will only treat white people like gods. If you are darker than white you will be harassed, watched like a criminal, ignored and forced into slavery like conditions.

Advice to Management

Warn anyone not white because you cause psychological damage to ANY minority. If you hire anyone yellow, brown or black tell them your racist history so they don’t get stuck in modern slavery

EF English First2018-07-01

EF English First Response

July 4, 2018Vice President

We are extremely disappointed to hear your negative feelings. EF has been opening the world through education for over 60 years and we pride ourselves on being an equal opportunities employer with an amazing mix of cultures and backgrounds. If you feel you have been treated unfairly by any individual within our network of schools please do write to us at teacher.feedback@ef.com.

5. "Let down"

Former Employee - Online English Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time

Pros

They did give lots of hours to begin with and the schedule is flexible

Cons

I was working many hours a week. The pay is lot great, then, I lost my hours and had no work. Contact with try he office is chaotic to say the least

Advice to Management

Reward hard work, don't penalise us

EF English First2019-10-10
  6. "Massive disconnect between management and staff."

Current Employee - International English Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Set Schedule Limited Hours Career Progression Lateral Movement Diverse Work Force

Cons

Disconnected Management Corporate structure is flawed

Advice to Management

Standardize the working life between teachers at all centers. Centers are completely disconnected from each other and if you get one that doesn't care about your work life, prepare to be doing lots of extra things on the side in your own time, with no extra compensation.

EF English First2019-10-09
  7. "Online English Teacher"

Current Employee - English Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get the hours you request so you can work whenever you want and work as many hours per week as you want (probably even 80 if you wanted!).

Cons

The salary increases over time are a joke, management is a joke, they have rigid rules and if you break them at all they will be happy to fire you, even if you are one of the top ranked teachers who dozens of students personally request weekly.

Advice to Management

Offer better promotions / pay increases to teachers as they continue to waste away their lives helping the EF empire grow. Offer teachers who are willing to commit to 40 or more lessons a week health insurance and a 401K option.

EF English First2019-10-08

"A decent job that could be better"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time

Pros

(1) The system is relatively simple to navigate. (2) You can choose any hours. (3) You can recover from student no shows with writing corrections. (4) The lessons are straightforward and some of the best lesson materials I have ever encountered.

Cons

(1) The pay is comparatively low. (2) There is no opportunity for career advancement or raises. (3) Trying to have lessons with people who are extremely low level (who need bilingual teachers) is very frustrating. (4) Trying to have classes with people whose levels and lesson materials are mismatched is very frustrating. (5) People enrolling in the courses without any counseling as to their English... development path is frustrating. (6) Having to accommodate ridiculous custom lesson requests from students. (7) People who do not participate are permitted to remain in group classes.

EF English First2019-09-26
  9. "Not for everyone"

Former Employee - English Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Helpfull assimilation process 2 week hotel stay on arrival

Cons

They did not cover my flight expenses while "Free Flights" is advertised almost anywhere you look

EF English First2019-09-14

EF English First Response

October 7, 2019Vice President

Thanks for sharing your experience of working with EF to teach online. While we often run campaigns that offer free flights, this isn’t part of the standard package for working in China. Understandably this can be disappointing, but we hope that you enjoyed other benefits of the package that you were offered. The class simulations always get such positive feedback from teachers, so we’re happy that you enjoyed that part of our Onboarding. Thanks again for your feedback!

"more cons than pros"

Former Employee - English As A Second Language Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

sense of community in the office, lovely to work with local teachers

Cons

Your salary hardly goes up, there are no HR resources at all, paid way less than other teachers at language centres, duties far exceed what one it told in the beginning, no paid sick leave, some centres very rundown compared to other high tech and comfortable ones.

Advice to Management

make sure all schools and offices are at the same level of comfort and efficiency.

EF English First2019-09-13