EF English First Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Jacob Toren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You're paid on time and there are a lot of development opportunities (in 9 reviews)

• Excellent pay and fun working environment (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Summer and winter school full on and can be exhausting but doesn't last too long (in 8 reviews)

• Work/life balance sucks due to long hours and weird schedule (in 13 reviews)

1. "English Teacher and School Activity Coordinator"

I worked at EF English First full-time

Pros

A lot of advancement opportunities and great experience if you want to have a career in TEFL or School management.

Cons

Sometimes the cultural difference in running a company can be a little difficult

"BEWARE! THEY ARE UNTRUTHFUL ABOUT LETTING YOU OUT OF YOUR CONTRACT!"

I worked at EF English First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Taught in China. The facilities were very good and working with the kids and family was excellent.

Cons

Working with the management was a nightmare. They made you do many things not part of the contract. There are many other teaching companies in China that pay better. I had enough and found a better teaching job. Management did not renew my contract but ALSO refused to provide me with the various release papers required by the new job - they claimed they did not have to but it is illegal for them not to do so. I have filed a complaint with the local authorities but had to leave China since my work visa expired with them and they would not give me the visa release paperwork to start with another company there.

Advice to Management

If you do not want to renew someone's contract. stop trying to mess them over when they get another teaching job with another company.

EF English First Response

Sep 13, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience at EF English First. Please send an email to teacher.feedback@ef.com so we can better address the situation.

"Teacher"

I worked at EF English First full-time

Pros

Good training and development for new teachers.
    In school facilities were top notch.

Cons

Working evenings and weekends mostly, so not great for social activities in the city.
    Summer session can be very intensive.

"A bit of both"

I worked at EF English First full-time

Pros

The team you'll work with is amazing, most people are generous and kind and really want to help any newcomer. Teaching is amazing, kids can be rowdy but they're just being kids. The teaching environment is well-done, usually very well thought through and provides people with a very nice experience here.

Cons

Management being usually Chinese, you'll need to adapt to other ways of working, adapting to hierarchy, all the things that are "unsaid". Foreign management doesn't have lots of weight in higher management decisions. Manage your expectations. Be sure to understand that Education is a business, not a charity. It can be done very efficiently and professionally but in most cases, when a choice between doing the right academic decision and the cost that it may generate is quickly made in favor of profit.

"Contract Violated"

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

The students were nice and some teachers were helpful.

Cons

The administrators were HORRIBLE. They refused to pay for the flight as specified by the terms of the contract. They forced teachers to take split shifts — morning and evening with huge gaps in the afternoon. The resource center lacked activities for most levels( i.e., teachers had to spend personal time creating activities.) Their one-to-one program was ineffective and pointless for most students. Their curriculum was the worst I've ever seen. The texts were total garbage with zero fun games. The director had ZERO experience and got a teaching certificate in a 2 week training seminar. The pay was terrible — less than US minimum wage. They rationed paper to teachers. The administrators discouraged teachers and were terribly rude to the staff. Local teacher turnover rate was 1 to 2 replacements per month, so fast I couldn't keep up with their names. School expected teachers to put in personal time (no pay) for clubs and activities.

Advice to Management

Get some real teachers and administrators to your remote schools. Rethink your curriculum and its designers. Never advance inexperienced personnel to administrative positions. Make sure your administrators fulfill the terms and agreements of contracts without question. Stock your teachers resource centers with proper materials.

EF English First Response

Jun 9, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience with us at EF English First. EF English First is a professional company, and our hiring process and... More

"Worked for me"

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relatively good pay, solid support for Visa process and getting around.

Cons

Intensives period is harsh, home office meddlesome, may require office hours just to keep you busy.

Advice to Management

Let people go home if there is nothing to do. Trust me, we are better teachers if we can rest.

"The knife that keeps lodging deeper"

I worked at EF English First full-time

Pros

Prearranged lessons but that's also possible to be a negative.

Cons

On top of all the other reasons not to work in their online program: you get charged double taxes at tax time because you're considered both the employee and the employer and on top of the tiny salary for a bachelor's degree, you get hit again when they take even more money away from you than if you were paid through normal means. You get no benefits when you teach English online and in truth you're actually probably going in debt for working there, no matter how hard you work, you will never break even.

"Love the teaching, hate the platform/policies"

I have been working at EF English First part-time

Pros

I love meeting new students and helping them with their English.

Cons

While I understand there will be technology issues for an online platform, it really disturbs me that the teachers are penalized for deficiencies in the platform. Not only are teachers knocked for missing a class or arriving late when there are EF server issues, but we also lose out on pay for something we have no control over. From a business perspective, it is also harmful because students spend their time in class trying to solve technical issues and not learning English.

Advice to Management

Address your policy around technology. If there are technical issues where a teacher cannot enter class, they should not be penalized for that. If there are technical issues affecting classes, students should also be made aware so they are not losing time. Please address/upgrade your platform.

"Great"

I worked at EF English First full-time

Pros

I had the freedom to plan a lot of my own classes. The people you meet are amazing. People are generally ready to learn.

Cons

There were long meetings sometimes. The workload was heavy at times, but if you prioritized effectively, you could easily get through it.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"English Teacher in China"

I worked at EF English First full-time

Pros

The company is well established and they know what they're doing. You can always expect to get paid on time, the company culture is unique in the sense that everyone is quite friendly and communicative, and there are opportunities for development if you actively seek it.

Cons

I've known of some in-center managers who have not been ideal or fair. I imagine the same thing happens at other companies too but at the end of the day, no company is perfect and there are downsides to every organization. I mean, you are in a foreign country so you need to be adaptable anyway. I never had any problems with my direct manager and felt I was always heard and respected.