Cover image for EF English First

Found 901 of over 1K reviews

3.4
EF English First CEO Adele Bai
Adele Bai

Got a burning question about EF English First? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with EF English First employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

Ask a Question

What are your colleagues talking about?

Find your private company bowl on Fishbowl, join the hottest conversation with your colleagues anonymously.
Join the Conversation

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Pay is low for NES starting at $10.00 an hour and it will take you 3 year to get to $13.00 an hour.(in 116 reviews)
  • "The salary is low for the amount of work you have to do as well as the hours and days.(in 86 reviews)
  • "Poor management and exploitative franchise investors(in 69 reviews)
  • "Long hours and very sales oriented.(in 37 reviews)
  • "Academic managers hold meetings on topics with no qualifications while making innapropriate remarks that are immoral and unethical.(in 19 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of EF English First and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Amazing Company

Aug 15, 2022 - ESL Instructor in Tarrytown, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lesson plans provided, training offered, and great staff

Cons

I can't think of any.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee

Token Diversity Hire

Mar 19, 2023 - Cafe Owner
    Business Outlook

Pros

Saw the world, experienced a different culture and met some wonderful people.

Cons

No benefit to job excellence, only marketable as a white foreigner.

3. Join the EF English First team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 4.0

Starter Job

Feb 2, 2023 - English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

They brought me to China and were very organized with all of the logistics. They helped me develop my teaching foundation and were supportive during Covid.

Cons

Any local staff that aren’t teachers are treated very badly, this is normal in Chinese culture as they don’t care about employees.

5. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Do not go for training centers

Mar 12, 2023 - ESL Teacher in China, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you are lucky, they pay for your flight

Cons

Low pay and poor management

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Mixed Bag

Feb 10, 2023 - English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great resume builder Lots of travel opportunities

Cons

Wasn't prepared for the culture shock Covid-19 pandemic wasn't handled well

7. 4.0

Great partnership with them

Oct 25, 2022 - Online English Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teaching English online with them was easy and professional. I mean that lessons were easy to navigate, students were fun and I never had a problem with receiving pay.

Cons

Teaching English online with them is no longer an option due to changes in policy in China.

EF English First Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. Regulation changes have meant we have had to restructure our academic offerings, but we're glad you enjoyed working with us while you could! Best of luck for the future and thanks again for your comments.

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

not bad, not good. just okay

Nov 2, 2022 - TEFL Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

good coworkers lesson plans good entry level job

Cons

low pay big classes too much scaffolding classes too long

EF English First Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re glad you enjoyed developing with us, and especially glad you worked with good teammates. We regularly review our salary structure to be in line with industry standards and try and ensure our classroom time and content fit the needs of our students wherever they are in their learning journey. Thanks again and we wish you the best in your future career!

9. 4.0

Good management

Oct 24, 2022 - Senior Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Quality of training is super good, work hard and its pretty easy to move up.

Cons

Time off isn't great for employees from other countries besides the US. Salary could be more competitive

10. 4.0
    Former Employee

Review headline

Sep 26, 2022 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedules small class setting

Cons

Not so good at pay

EF English First Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re glad you enjoyed working with us and were able to experience a flexible schedule. We regularly review our salary and compensation to be in line with industry standards. Thanks again!

11. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great start!

Oct 31, 2022 - ESL Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

They teach you a lot of about ESL

Cons

Some schools can be very difficult and there isn't a lot of support for conflict resolution

EF English First Response

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re glad you have enjoyed working with us, and especially glad you have been able to develop so much! We're proud of our training programs and work continuously to ensure our managers are able to guide teachers to reach their full potential. Manager training includes a focus on conflict resolution and we are always looking to improve our support. If you would like to share more please note you can do so - confidentially - at teacher.welfare@ef.cn. Thanks again.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 901 Reviews
</>Embed

EF English First Reviews FAQs

EF English First has an overall rating of 3.4 out of 5, based on over 1,104 reviews left anonymously by employees. 51% of employees would recommend working at EF English First to a friend and 38% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, EF English First employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at EF English First. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

51% of EF English First employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated EF English First 3.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at EF English First to be workplace, coworkers, career development and the cons to be culture, benefits, management.

Popular Careers with EF English First Job Seekers