EF English First Reviews

Updated Sep 22, 2020

3.2
EF English First President 	Jacob Toren (no image)
Jacob Toren
Pros
Cons
  • "China operates heavily on a Wechat pay/Alipay system(in 56 reviews)

• "Production schedule isn't aligned with Chinese National holidays so cannot plan holidays in advance(in 32 reviews)

"Best job in the world!"

5.0
    Online English Teacher in Miami, FL

I worked at EF English First

Pros

Everything, management, platform, training, you need to be certified in teaching English as a second language which is a plus because it helps you prepare for the job. Best job in the world. Students are awesome and so is the company. Their platform is easy to work with. IT department fixes anything immediately. Plenty of training and help with anything. The parents are great. I truly love my job.

Cons

None, I have zero problems with the early hours and late hours, you know this when you apply so there’s no need to complain about it!

Vice President

We are happy to hear such positive feedback! We really strive to make sure that both teachers and students have a great experience at EF and we are glad to see all that hard work paying off. Thanks again and we wish you the best in your future endeavors.

2. "Supportive English Teaching Company"

Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great support to help establish your life in China, good pay in relation to the living expenses, help with the visa process, weekly teacher training, opportunities for growth and sponsorships to pursue further education

Cons

Weekends are your busiest days with Mon/Tue or Tue/Wed being your days off; heavily stacked class schedules; schedules constantly shifting

3. "Adequate"

Current Employee - Director of Studies

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Reasonably stable depending on location Receives Head office assistance Variety of training opportunities

Cons

High workload Constant last minute changes High staff turnover Low salaries compared to competitors

4. "Horrible place to work at"

Former Employee - English Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good training and set up for when you first arrive. They set your bank up and get you a phone number.

Cons

Poor wage. Poor management. Good teachers who actually do their job well aren't appreciated or rewarded. They glorify all of the white teachers.

Teacher Welfare Director

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate the positives but also want to learn about areas where we can improve. We would love to discuss your feedback in more detail and encourage you to reach out to teacher.welfare@ef.com.

5. "Overall good place"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time

Pros

My coworkers and students were amazing, and I always had a lot of fun in and out of the office.

Cons

Saturday schedules were tough and some of the materials could use an update.

"Good People Questionable Management"

Former Employee - Foreign Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

EF is one of the biggest leaders of education in China so you know it’s gonna be safe legally and financially. The people at my school were super nice and the kids were cute. My Director of Studies was amazing and always put her teachers first.

Cons

Communication is really not great between departments. Things always seem to be done last minute and the division of work was always unequal, with local Chinese teachers having more work thrust on them than foreign teachers. The pay is smaller than if you were to work at a kindergarten or other school but worth it for the security. Also there’s a bit of unfair treatment with hardworking staff being overlooked for less competent staff that are friends with management.

Teacher Welfare Director

Thank you for your review. We're glad you had a positive experience at your school with your students and managers. We're sorry to hear about the miscommunication between departments as we understand the importance for clear communication. We are concerned about your comment regarding unfair treatment and would like to learn more about your experience. We ask that you contact us at teacher.welfare@ef.com.

"ok"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Japan, PA

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

good location, nice worker and atmosphere

Cons

leverage low salaries, not good promotion

"only if you are ready to work 24/7"

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly and quite good atmosphere

Cons

crazy shifts and salary, you have to check outlook every 2 hours even after 10 pm

"Mixed Bag"

Former Employee - Online Instructor

I worked at EF English First full-time

Pros

Gives you teaching experience if you have little or none and gets your foot in the door to Asia.

Cons

Terrible corporate management and low salaries. Work there one or two years, get the teaching experience required for actual schools and get out.

"Your experience will vary ."

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

The ability to travel is great and meeting many individuals is another awesome feature.

Cons

The lack of proper management. The pay is not worth what they REQUIRE you to do.

Found 474 reviews