EF English First Reviews | Glassdoor

EF English First Reviews

Updated Sep 12, 2019

Found 377 reviews

3.2
EF English First CEO 	Jacob Toren (no image)
Jacob Toren

"EF Tangshan"

in New York, NY

I worked at EF English First for more than 8 years

Pros

Some say if you can work here, you can work anywhere. I don't see the need for a teacher to supper unnecessarily, and think prospective teacher should choose the best school and location with the best hours and salary that they can find. In that regard, EF Tangshan has nothing to offer.

Cons

As you will learn, EF Tangshan has some of the longest hours, the lowest pay, and the worst conditions you'll find anywhere. Since I've worked for EF, I've taught and traveled all over the world, and this place ranks as by far the worst. The salary is very low, and the hours are unbeleivable--roughly double the requirements of any other school (I do not recommend working at a private language school at all unless... you are making very, very good money, which you can at some of these schools. Otherwise, you can very easily find a school that pays better and where you teach 15 to 20 hours a week, giving you the time and funds to travel and explore). Finally, Tangshan is not a tourist attraction--it is an industrial city, and often makes lists of most poluted cities in the world. So be aware of that, although it is close enough to Beijing for weekend trips. Don't get me wrong, it's an interesting place to live for a year, but if you need a western restaurant or bar once in a while for some respite, this may also not be the city for you.

EF English First2018-12-23
  2. "Worth the experience"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in China, ME

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great employee benefits such as furnished apartment, monthly team building,end of contract bonus, medical aid options.

Cons

You don't get a weekend or school holidays off as those are actually peak times :(

Advice to Management

DOS was really amazing. Very accomodating and flexible.

EF English First2018-11-17
  3. "Overseas Recruiter"

I worked at EF English First

Pros

Fun company culture. Opportunity to travel. The people you will work with are fun, motivated, well-travelled, and well-cultured.

Cons

If you work abroad it is hard to find a job in the states if you want to stay with the company.

Advice to Management

Thank you for providing me with the best employment experience I have had in my life.

EF English First2018-11-15

"Great opportunities"

Project Manager

I have been working at EF English First

Pros

Great opportunities, cool working environment with international colleagues. You have the chance to choose and conduct projects that interest you since they believe employees will perform better when they like what they are doing.

Cons

Sometimes working hours can be long, but well valued and compensated

EF English First2018-08-17

"Luck of the Draw"

Current Employee - ESL Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you get lucky, unlike me, you could be at a very productive and professional center. Other teachers I know feel very supported by management, have all the supplies they need, and feel prepared for class each day. You will also always be paid on time, which can not always be said for ESL teaching companies. There is also a huge amount of opportunities and venues both in and out of teaching, all within the EF brand.

Cons

If you get unlucky, like me, you can end up in an absolutely awful center. Management is inexperienced and untrustworthy and every day will be a challenge to prepare for classes. You may never know how many kids to prepare for in a class (happened to me yesterday morning: my class tripled in size with no warning). Your PA's will throw you under the bus at any opportunity to cover themselves. Entire classes may... appear on your schedule with no notice. Once a safety issue arose and we were told to lie to the parents about their students' safety to not incite a panic. The pay, while on time, is low for the standard you see amongst other companies. With the insurance they provide, you pay all your doctor bills up front and have to submit a claim to get reimbursed, but no one I know has ever gotten reimbursed. You get very little annual leave. And all those other job opportunities, you have to make it at least through your year to get to them. If you're struggling like I am, that year could feel like 5.

Advice to Management

The standard of centers needs to be the same across the board. Many other teachers I know have fabulous centers that are very productive and have a good working environment. Other centers are almost famously underperforming and the entire staff is unhappy. Every manager higher and higher that I've spoken to is acutely aware of which centers are the "problem centers", but nothing is being done to correct it.

EF English First2018-08-15

August 28, 2018Vice President

Thank you for leaving your feedback regarding your EF experience. We take all comments seriously and would like to follow-up with you regarding your work schedule and the safety issue you mentioned. Please email us at teacher.feedback@ef.com to clarify.

"Racist"

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

get you to china for sure

Cons

they only need white people, don't even apply if you are not white.

Advice to Management

stop lying on the ads

EF English First2018-08-07

August 28, 2018Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your experience with us at EF English First. We are a professional company that does not tolerate racism, nor do we want to make you feel unsupported. Please send an email to teacher.feedback@ef.com so we ...

"Racist and will treat you like trash. If you aren’t white don’t apply!!!! Please stay away from this company!"

Former Employee - English Teacher in China, ME

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

They will like only white people. If you are white this is great for you!

Cons

They will only treat white people like gods. If you are darker than white you will be harassed, watched like a criminal, ignored and forced into slavery like conditions.

Advice to Management

Warn anyone not white because you cause psychological damage to ANY minority. If you hire anyone yellow, brown or black tell them your racist history so they don’t get stuck in modern slavery

EF English First2018-07-01

July 4, 2018Vice President

We are extremely disappointed to hear your negative feelings. EF has been opening the world through education for over 60 years and we pride ourselves on being an equal opportunities employer with an amazing mix of cultures and backgrounds. If you feel you have been treated unfairly ...

"Great Opportunities"

I have been working at EF English First full-time

Pros

EF takes care of all your visa needs. I really like the hours and this company provides great opportunities!

Cons

It's not the highest paying training center and not that much annual leave when you start out.

EF English First2018-03-28

April 26, 2018Vice President

Thank you for your positive feedback!

"Makes the process of transitioning to a new country easy"

Current Employee - Online ESL Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at EF English First part-time for more than a year

Pros

I get to work with amazing people and make new friends for life. Living and staying in China allows me the opportunity to travel to other countries cheaply and easily. The actual work is easy and not stressful at all. The teaching environment is well-done, usually very well thought through and provides people with a very nice experience here.

Cons

poor management as so far

EF English First2018-04-05

"Good Opportunity with some Good People, Corrupt Company"

Teacher

I worked at EF English First for less than a year

Pros

Other teachers are usually friendly Got me to China

Cons

Convoluted, long hours, dishonest, corrupt.

EF English First2018-04-04

April 26, 2018Vice President

Thank you for addressing your concerns. Please email teacher.feedback@ef.com as we'd love to follow up with your concerns.

Found 377 reviews