EF English First Senior Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

EF English First Senior Teacher Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Found 16 reviews

4.2
EF English First CEO 	Jacob Toren (no image)
Jacob Toren

"Beyond just teaching"

Current Employee - Senior Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing opportunities for upward development. ESL is a tough industry and it's something you age out of, if you choose to, at EF you have more than a few directions into which you can develop and be promoted. I know people who started off as teachers with no previous relevant experience who are now senior content developers as well as Regional Managers etc As far as annual leave goes: For your second year you'll... get 12 days, 3rd year about 15 and after 5 years, you'll get 20 annual leave days per year. As mentioned if all you are looking for is to teach for a year or so and not worry about Visa arrangements, EF is a good starting block. You get paid on time, and Visa's are on the up and up which is more than a lot of other schools can say. EF also partners with Cambridge Trinity and you'll be able to sign a development contract to obtain the CertTesol, DipTesol, DeltM as well as distance learning courses which focus on Grammar, Teaching Phonology, Coaching, Reflective Practice etc. Annual leave is pro-rated so if you start early in the year you should get between 8-9.5 annual leave days for the year, this is excluding Chinese New Year, Summer Course Break (usually about 5 days) and other Chinese festival days off. Obviously, I am a bit biased as I am currently still employed by EF Kids and Teens but I can say that I have past experiences teaching in all facets of the industry and that EF weights heavily on both sides of the spectrum, you can either keep your head down and just teach for a year and get paid to do so whilst being provided with all possible resources or they will actively try to develop you should you show an interest in staying around for a bit. EF is a global company and they have HQ's and schools in China, Indo, Russia as well as offices in Aus, the US and UK, this makes travelling around a bit easier.

Cons

If all you do is teach you might find the job a bit constraining as materials are overdeveloped to better assist new teachers so it will be up to you to adapt and change materials to suit your own style. It might at times feel like you are being spoonfed but again, more experienced teachers will probably be able to easily adapt materials and lesson aims to depend on student needs. Another con, especially, if you... are a first-year teacher with dreams of a 40K Shanghai job and lots of time off, you'll find that you probably won't have weekends off, however once you've stuck around for 2 years or so, you'll probably be able to negotiate at least 1 Weekend day off, an example, Sunday, Monday or split days off, ex: Saturday, Monday. In general, you'll have two consecutive days off during the week. A working day starts at 2 PM until about 8:15 PM during the week, weekends are 9AM-6PM. When it's summer or winter course you'll have a few days during the week where you'll teach morning or mid-afternoon classes outside of your regular schedule, but again, you usually get a bonus for every week of additional teaching you do and you'll get another bonus if you go over your contracted hours. As mentioned in other reviews on this site, your Dos and regional management will play a large part in how you experience your time here. If you have a manager who is intent on developing their teachers you'll be fine, unfortunately, that's not always the case and you might end up at a centre where you feel like your needs aren't being taken into consideration and that you are not being managed in a constructive way. The pay for a first-year teacher isn't super great, especially in a city like Shanghai where the cost of living is quite high, but it's still manageable and they are generally quite good about helping new teachers with cash advances for renting apartments. I should mention that all my comments only refer to the Kids and Teens Product as I don't really have any experience in the Adult's, Teens only, and Online products.

Advice to Management

Keep focussing on teacher development and make sure you set expectations during the recruitment phase. Don't promise prospective teachers things which a CD or DoS can't deliver on. Also, make sure that PM's keep track of teachers satisfaction with management as unaired issues tend to build up and that causes some people to leave or to become disengaged.

EF English First2018-12-31
  2. "Excellent Company"

Current Contractor - Senior Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at EF English First for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been working as an independent contractor for 3 years. There is a lot of flexibility and I get a chance to work with students from all over the world. I love everything about my position and feel that the staff is very responsive and helpful whenever a rare issue arises.

Cons

Paid monthly, lower pay than other companies in this field

EF English First2018-08-08
  3. "A good first job"

Current Employee - Senior Teacher in Moscow

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-living abroad -good colleagues and work environment -continual training and professional development -yearly promotion to next band

Cons

-hectic daily and weekly schedule -low salary compared to dollar -high teacher turnover

Advice to Management

Find ways to keep teachers longer than a year: better pay, improved benefits, more reasonable schedulig.

EF English First2019-09-16
  4. "Work hard for huge return."

Current Employee - Senior Teacher in Tianjin, Tianjin

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

*Training - a lot of teachers come to work with EF who don't have adequate training. EF has weekly training sessions and one-on-one mentoring to get you ready for the classroom. *Career development - if you work hard, your efforts are recognised and your career will progress. But it takes two to tango - you get out what you put in. *Living in China and receiving a salary which is appropriate for an expat means... the ability to travel in China, and being in Tianjin means 2 hours from Osaka, Shanghai and Seoul. *Being close to Beijing, but still outside of China's capital means that prices aren't so expensive. *EF Tianjin really looks after their employees and cares about personal and professional development. Trips around the region, lunch budgets in summer, dinners, KTV nights out. The company actually cares about you as an employee.

Cons

*Hours are long, but if you're organised, then you can get your work done and learn good time management skills from managers in order to do this better. *It gets hot in Tianjin, if you don't like heat, at least all of the schools and offices are airconditioned, and in winter it gets really cold, but heating is adequate. *Communication can be a little difficult but the school has free Chinese lessons etc.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

EF English First2019-07-15

EF English First Response

July 19, 2019Teacher Welfare Director

Thank you for your 5+ years of dedication to EF. We are happy to hear that you've had such a rewarding experience working with EF as well as living in Tianjin. We wish you continued success.

5. "Absolutely good training and support within schools"

Current Employee - Senior Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Teacher development , good in centre training

Cons

Missing Sundays and special holidays with family

Advice to Management

Develop an understanding that especially international teachers would like to spend lengthier periods of time with family when they go home, this the current Winter school arrangement is not conducive

EF English First2018-12-28
  6. "Exciting TRT events, Systematic Teacher development Path and opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is a great foreign company where you can experience different cultures and meet people from different countries. The development path is getting more and more clearer and systematic through years. The working environment is nice, ease and professional. As long as you want to shine, there are many opportunities open every year now. The training sessions for teaching and leadership is very systematic and well... organized. Promotions can be very fast in current career development path. Career opportunities are fair and also challenging. You can always learn new things from colleagues. Escape from all peak hours of Shanghai. Many annual leaves.

Cons

Being a kids and teens teacher, you need to work at the weekends and the schedule is usually busy at the weekends.

Advice to Management

Provide more help and guidelines to every individual teacher development.

EF English First2018-12-10
  7. "TRT Ceramic Painting Event"

Current Employee - Senior Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The activity was very interesting since I'm a big fun of painting and cats! I love experiencing new things and really appreciate the opportunities offered by TRT. Hope to see more fun activities in the future.

Cons

Sometimes the time table of TRT events doesn't match my schedule, so it's quite pity when I can't sign in some of the amazing events.

Advice to Management

I hope to see various of activities in the future, such as tailoring, flower arrangement, etc.

EF English First2018-06-05
  8. "Good First Teaching Job"

Former Employee - Senior Teacher in Jakarta

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to get your feet wet

Cons

*Don't expect high pay *I wasn't given a great deal of feedback.

EF English First2018-05-22
  9. "Feeling"

Current Employee - Senior Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

Long annual leave, clear developmental ladder

Cons

Balance between local staff and foreign staff. Interaction among different departments should be improved.

Advice to Management

Responsibilities for different roles should be clear.

EF English First2018-05-01

"The McDonalds of English teaching"

Former Employee - Senior Teacher in Wuxi, Jiangsu

I worked at EF English First full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Hire anyone regardless of experience or interview performance - Good products created by EF

Cons

- Sales focused environment with little importance given to education - Tiny or zero compensation for large amounts of overtime - Lowest possible amount of holidays provided - Workers are financially punished for taking sick days or holidays - Stressful environment and overwork leading to unhappy staff and poor health - Poor salary - Poor management and exploitative franchise investors - Very high turnover

Advice to Management

Provide a better environment for teachers and other staff to decrease turnover and inspire better work. Staff who feel exploited have no reason to stay with EF or provide good service.

EF English First2017-11-09

EF English First Response

December 26, 2017Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. If you'd like to send an email on how we can improve the environment for teachers and staff, we'd be happy to listen to your suggestions. You can contact teacher.feedback@ef.com.

Found 16 reviews