EF English First Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

EF English First Teacher Reviews

Updated Oct 10, 2019

Found 239 reviews

2.7
EF English First CEO 	Jacob Toren (no image)
Jacob Toren

"Meh..."

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time

Pros

Great experience within the country

Cons

The pay is very low

EF English First2019-07-09

"Nope. Nope. Nope."

Current Contractor - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at EF English First for more than 3 years

Pros

Pays on time. That's about it.

Cons

If you want to work 80 hours a month and get paid for 60. Cancellations and No-Shows take a toll and management doesn't care. Recent change in US management office has left it totally unorganized. They can't keep track of raises, hours, or answer problems promptly. The only job I've ever ahd where you get dinged for being LESS THAT 1 MINUTE LATE. Rude and uncaring students. Teachers who praise just to get a... good review and pass students on without teaching them anything. I've had Upper Intermediate students who cannot tell you their name and have gotten 90s on every class before that. I complained to management and was told it was a shame that some teachers did not follow procedures. No chance for advancement.

Advice to Management

Actually teach students. Don't collect money and not share. You get paid for cancellations and no-shows, don't ding the teachers that show up ready to work. Since you changed the policy on writing, there often are not writing assignments available to make up. I'm moving on to another company. Almost everyone pays better and the culture cannot be worse.

EF English First2019-10-06

"The Good and the bad"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Tampa, FL

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

You will get plenty of classes working with EF. I was teaching 70 classes a week. The lesson plan is good. The pay is good.

Cons

After working 6 months with EF I was fired. The day that I was fired my lesson plan did not fully loaded up. I left the class and re-entered the class, I hoping the second time I would be able to see the lesson plan. However, this caused me to be 30 seconds late to class. EF was quick to terminate my contract and was unwilling to listen to me. I think they view their employees as disposable .

Advice to Management

Not to be so quick to fire and respond to your emails about tech problems.

EF English First2019-06-25

July 30, 2019Vice President

We very much value the independent instructors on our platform and want to preserve these relationships for the benefit of the students on the platform, many of whom take lessons with the same teachers for several months in a row. For this and many other reasons, we strive to make sure that all teachers understand the platform set-up before they begin teaching, as well as student expectations that teachers arrive on time to the lesson. Though we always try to be flexible, given the young age of many of our students, we do need to make sure that lessons begin on time very consistently. If a teacher runs into a problem, we certainly would like to discuss the problem individually and try to understand it from all sides. We certainly regret that you feel that this did not happen in your case

"Good place to start in China"

Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

- late start on weekdays - good onboarding

Cons

- workload - salary on the low end of teaching jobs - make it very difficult to leave company for another job in China

Advice to Management

Pay your teachers more

EF English First2019-06-07

June 19, 2019Teacher Welfare Director

Thank you for your post. It's good to hear that you felt supported by our onboarding program and enjoy the late start on weekdays. Concerning salary we understand that expectations vary, however, we do review our compensation package annually to ensure teachers are able to live comfortably in large Chinese cities. We also provide benefits such as health insurance, a visa, as well as comprehensive teacher training. In regards to your feedback about making it difficult for teachers to join other companies, this is certainly not our intention and we would like to discuss this matter further. Please send an email to teacher.feedback@ef.com.

5. "Lack of Communication"

Current Contractor - Teacher in Battlefield, MO

I have been working at EF English First for less than a year

Pros

Work when you want on you schedule around your current schedule.

Cons

Lack of communications, work two months without pay, then if you do send an invoice for pay they correct it to a lower amount of pay, but they don't have payroll! I have emailed several times for teacher polo shirt but stock is low. I have not had any students for weeks, and they are obviously not up on current events? China having a major protest that should have been news. Now I can not log in to see if I still... have a the last few students. The website has completely changed, no notifications or emails.

Advice to Management

Communication is the key!

EF English First2019-06-16

"EF Teaching Abroad"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at EF English First full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had a great mentor and friendly coworkers

Cons

Long hours, sometimes management is disorganized

EF English First2019-05-22
  7. "It's alright as a part time gig"

Current Freelancer - English Teacher in Miami, FL

I have been working at EF English First for less than a year

Pros

You can set your own hours and work as little or as much as your want. It is also remote and you don't have to speak like a character from a children's cartoon.

Cons

The starting pay is only about 12 bucks an hour. You can find other jobs teaching children for 18-24 bucks an hour. I will probably seek employment at another company You can increase your pay but you have to work with them for a long period of time. The maximum is only 15 bucks.

Advice to Management

Raise base salary if you want to keep your teachers. Your good teachers are going to leave for other companies.

EF English First2019-05-01

"Don't waste your time working a month without pay..."

Former Employee - Online ESL Teacher

I worked at EF English First part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, work-from-home, exposure to unique people from around the world

Cons

You have to work two months before pay because they only pay monthly and you have to wait until the following month for your first paycheck. It started off nice and I felt like I was doing well when all of a sudden, they stopped adding classes to my schedule and my friend's despite us having high-scores as teachers even though classes were available, they just decided to phase us out. My friend and I opened EVERY... time slot on both of our calendars and not one class was given to us for a full month. When we reached out, people stopped responding to us, acted like we didn't exist and then pretended like we were fired, when we were flat-out ignored. I attempted to reapply recently, as now I am even more qualified than when I worked there (teaching classes) for 7 months in 2017, but on paper, it was about a year. They denied that I was eligible and did not offer an explanation, even though they were hiring and I have a bachelor's degree, former experience with EF, high student remarks, 120-hour TEFL certification, and I have taught ESL for 3 years in total. What a joke! Do NOT WASTE YOUR TIME for two months before pay and to be treated like you are replaceable.

Advice to Management

Management needs to care about employee retention as much as they do student retention.

EF English First2019-05-15

June 3, 2019Vice President

Thanks for leaving a review of your experience working online with EF. Regarding your comments about pay, it’s required that teachers teach for a month, then submit their invoice after that month closes and teachers are paid thereafter. Class assignment is contingent upon student demand, which can vary. Teachers are always welcome to pick up subclasses or schedule classes directly with their repeat students to supplement the classes that go onto their schedule via the assignment process, which is performed by an automated tool that matches teacher availability with student demand for classes.

9. "Descent pay"

Current Employee - Online English Teacher in Decatur, GA

I have been working at EF English First part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They always pay you on-time.

Cons

Recently I can't get enough hours.

EF English First2019-04-12

"Management has very little respect for teachers"

Former Contractor - ESL Teacher in Boston, MA

I worked at EF English First for more than a year

Pros

You can teach the material as you want. The slides are not lengthy. You will have repeating students, especially in the group classes.

Cons

You form good relationships with the students and then one day, management just gives you the boot without any adequate explanation. All the time and energy that you spent on the student is wasted, because he/she will now have to start all over with a new teacher who has a totally different style. Secondly, one of the managers was psychotic and phoned my house multiple times a day over minor things like a student... being unhappy about a review. If you miss a class, say 1 out of 100, the management goes REALLY berserk. The management will NEVER give you positive feedback. For example, most of my classes went overtime, to maximize the student's learning experience, but the management didn't care; they were only obsessed with trivial things like missing 1/100 classes. Lastly, the pay is extremely, despite the fuss over trivial issues. You can easily work elsewhere for nearly double the pay.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect teachers. The relationships they form with students are more important than marginal revenue. If you want to hold teachers to an impossible standard, then at least they pay them properly. When teachers file cases, respond to the case within 24 hours, don't ignore it.

EF English First2019-05-02