EFI Reviews | Glassdoor

EFI CEO Guy Gecht
Guy Gecht

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"ok place to work if you don't mind working lots of hours during quarter end"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fremont, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Fremont, CA

I have been working at EFI as a contractor

Pros

Non quarter end better hours.

Cons

Quarter end - long hours (around 15+ hours a day during close)

Advice to Management

Need to hire more people to share the quarter end long hours.

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some flexibility with telecomuting, depends on department.

Cons

Politics. Low pay. Low morale. High stress. Cheap.

Dec 19, 2016 – Manager Talent Acquisition Americas

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on your time with EFI in Fremont. We are glad that you found the flexibility of telecommuting a pro. In regards to the cons you listed, I... More

"Not recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I have been working at EFI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible work schedule
    -Some nice colleagues

Cons

-Low Salary for SF Bay Area
    -Low Morale
    -No career advancement
    -A lot of good people already left the company

Advice to Management

Seems like they only focus to be the billion dollar company and forget about employees and customers in the process

Oct 25, 2016 – Manager Talent Acquisition Americas

We are sorry to hear you are not pleased, we have heard from others that certain parts of our compensation plan (like 2 year lookback on employee stock purchases, and all employees eligible to... More

"The worst 4 years of my life, no kidding!"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I was there they had a nice building in Foster City overlooking the bay, not anymore. The company has moved its headquarters to Fremont.

Cons

The company has existed for a long time, the code base is old and not too much new development is going on. Instead, it's they follow the principle, if it works don't touch it. And sure it does work, but that is not the question, the question is how well? Most people do bug fixes. Only maybe 10% of engineers do actual development. So, if you're young and you're smart (I don't mean you're a genius, I mean you're a capable engineer who can get the job done and you are good with basic algorithms so you can prepare for interviews) and you feel like you're not challenged enough, then GET OUT OF THIS PLACE. There are plenty of companies that pay at least 30-40% more than EFI does. And you'll get to learn new technologies and work with a lot of smart people. If you talk to others within the company you'll get the feeling that they feel the same way, at the same time they don't want to do anything about it... Do not be like them. Go out and try and change and it'll most likely be good.

Sep 30, 2016 – Manager Talent Acquisition Americas

Ouch. :-( We’ve been in Fremont for three years now, your feedback might be a bit dated, but our facility in Fremont is state-of-the-art and facilitates great collaboration among our employees, which... More

"Tetering between good and just difficult"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, NH

I have been working at EFI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong benefits package - Strong technical staff - people want to do great things - moving to flex time for vacation time which is appealing to many

Cons

Bad behavior begets bad behavior - upper management doesn't truly listen to their people and continue to pile the work of 6 onto 1 person. This is causing people to just feel overwhelmed and under appreciated.

Advice to Management

Time to be realistic and look at what is broken - poor performers cannot keep being rewarded while strong performers get pushed to their limits

"Good company"

Current Employee - Sales Development Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Development Manager in Fremont, CA

Pros

American MNC culture, result oriented

Cons

needs to understand Indian context as too much american

"Senior QA Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at EFI (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice building in Foster City, but I heard they sold it and went to Fremont.

Cons

Low pay, low morale, not much opportunity.

Advice to Management

Inflation will get you to a billion, eventually. Just be patient.

"Mixed Experience"

Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at EFI full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Ability to work and contribute in areas not normally associated with a given job title. Day-to-day this was a fine place to work if you could ignore the bigger issues and the continual shrinking of the office headcount.

Cons

Company is overly focused on meeting quarterly numbers to the detriment of long-term goals. I worked in the Pittsburgh office and it was pretty much expected that there would be one or two people missing just prior to quarterly numbers being announced. There wouldn't be any notice/all-clear notice. You'd just notice that a cube was empty or realize somebody was missing a week later. Layoffs are part of the tech industry, but shouldn't be a regular heartbeat so that a division can squeak out another percentage or two.

Bonuses are tied to meeting corporate sales goals which makes perfect sense. But the goals were so overly aggressive that they weren't attainable.

Middle management (at least in the Pgh office) were largely people that had little experience outside of EFI. There was little advancement or formal management training. So things which are commonplace in the rest of the industry like agile are either not implemented or not understood.

I held out quite a while mostly due to inertia (and the vague hope of a severance package after a layoff) but finally left on my own accord. I'm very happy I did so.

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Manchester, NH

Pros

Good work / life balance. Managers don't micromanage and are positive for self initiative.

Cons

Disorganized management and HR. Management doesn't recognize accomplishments. Don't promote from within. A good old boy's club. Upper management is very well rewarded - in 2008-2010 while the whole company got a 5% reduction, executives got millions in stock grants. Management rates folks company wide for bonuses when things are going well but criticizes sub-groups when not. Mass migration of labor to India. The Fiery group gets preferential treatment despite many poor quarters. Company has regular layoffs which tend to be political and which has created a long term climate of paranoia and turf behavior. Company focuses primarily on new business and short shrifts existing customers. Most growth is through acquisitions which is symptomatic of a shrinking print industry. Outside of the Ink Jet group, not a great place to grow your career.

"Merging and Redefining"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at EFI full-time

Pros

Innovative digital printing presses and ink, flexible hours. Assorted versions of presses on site to design, test, and develop on. Ink development labs on site.

Cons

Ink manufacturing in the same building as engineering. Management turnover with reorganization. Very little career advancement opportunity. Too many instances where co-workers setup other coworkers to fail in order to hide difficulty their experiencing and move the delay in delivery timeline off to another individual or group.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the internal sabatours. Beware of nay sayers as to their motivation. Those who say something 'negative' because it's based in reality, want to address the issues, move forward, support the making of a better product and speak publicly versus the non-public, it's not going to work, because I don't understand it, it's too difficult for me to do, I can't be wrong, where an individual's personal limits, insecurity, and inflexible prevent team organizational change and growth.

There are far too many in the lowest engineering through mid management level where interest of the 'I' is the most important.