Found 375 of over 394 reviews
- Most Recent
- Highest Rating
- Lowest Rating
What are your colleagues talking about?
Top Review Highlights by Sentiment
Excerpts from user reviews, not authored by Glassdoor
- "Benefits are good for a Language School" (in 43 reviews)
- "Many of the students and some of the people that work there are really great people to be around." (in 24 reviews)
- "Great coworkers and center director" (in 15 reviews)
- "Great colleagues and coworkers." (in 15 reviews)
- "Excellent health benefits." (in 9 reviews)
Ratings by Demographics
This rating reflects the overall rating of ELS Educational Services and is not affected by filters.
- 5.0Aug 14, 2023TeacherCurrent Employee, more than 1 yearBoston, MA
Supportive environment. Great management. No micromanaging.
Wanted more hours. Now, school is closed after Covid. So sad.
- 1.0Aug 29, 2023English TeacherFormer Employee, more than 3 years
The students are, for the most part, charming and sincere in their interest in learning English.
No such thing as full-time work. Hours can vary quite a lot from "session" to "session" and a session is very short so you can find yourself with significantly fewer hours from one month to the next...It also puts significant pressure on teachers to work hard and fast, with no pay for hours spent outside the classroom developing lesson plans/materials and assessments, or for time doing assessments of student work and calculating grades. Apparently, local management can vary tremendously, based on what I have read here, but the management at my site was eccentric, to say the least and regarding the regional manager who came to our site from time to time, It quickly became clear that she was just visiting to spout the corporate line and hold things down. Bottom line? Don't work here if you need a regular, reliable income and respect from owners.
- 3.0Aug 31, 2023InstructorFormer Employee, more than 1 yearMyrtle Beach, SC
I enjoyed my time here. Co-workers were congenial and supervisors gave us feedback to continue growing.
Some policies and materials were outdated. The parent company had a somewhat traditional approach to language teaching. There was more focus on proficiency and correctness than communicative skills, which does not align with modern SLA approaches.
- 5.0Aug 23, 2023Instructor non-exemptFormer Employee, more than 1 yearHouston, TX
Super fun work environment, excellent support from staff and management, amazing students
Only paid for teaching hours, lots of marking outside of hours, not a lot of room for upward mobility
- 3.0Aug 7, 2023InstructorFormer Employee, less than 1 yearColumbus, OH
Student population was lovely, got to teach new classes every session.
Hours were a bit intense, no pay for planning/grading, no benefits
- 3.0May 27, 2023ESL TeacherFormer Employee
You get to teach young adults from all over the world.
This company is struggling and it shows. This company only cares about the bottom line and does not really look out for teachers or students. Favorites are played constantly instead of implementing a just system of power.2
- 3.0May 31, 2023ESL InstructorFormer Employee, more than 10 yearsNew York, NY
Wonderful students, good hours, and holiday parties.
ELS paid for teaching hours but not prep time. Teachers spend a lit of time prepping and grading papers! I found a school that does pay for prep time.1
ELS Educational Services Reviews FAQs
ELS Educational Services has an overall rating of 3.3 out of 5, based on over 394 reviews left anonymously by employees. 42% of employees would recommend working at ELS Educational Services to a friend and 52% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 3% over the last 12 months.
42% of ELS Educational Services employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated ELS Educational Services 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.7 for culture and values and 2.7 for career opportunities.