ELS Educational Services Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Pay is nowhere near the amount of work they expect from you (in 12 reviews)

• Very few teachers are full time (in 13 reviews)

1. "In Step with Most IEPs"

Current Employee - Senior Instructor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Instructor in Portland, OR

I have been working at ELS Educational Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great way to gain experience in the field of ESOL
    - Freedom to teach the curriculum with your own supplementary materials

Cons

- the iHART instructor ranking system
    - the uneven assignment of teaching hours

Advice to Management

Get rid of the iHART teacher ranking system. This only brings on uneasiness amongst your employees. When hours go down, distribute them evenly rather than completely taking away some employees hours while other equally-qualified teachers get full schedules. Stop being overly reliant on one international market for students. Lower you cost of attendance to make the school more competitive and attractive.

2. "Instructor"

Current Employee - Instructor
    Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at ELS Educational Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging, fast-paced, great students, flexible schedule

Cons

somewhat outdated curriculum, but with an option to update

"International Student Advisor"

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time

Pros

You get to meet awesome students from around the globe and get to expand your horizons a bit. You also get a lot of support from the teachers in your center who have more experience. Great way to learn a lot of different skills.

Cons

Too much work for little pay. The center is poorly managed by administration and there is very little guidance. Directors always change their plan of action depending on the session and there was never a clear view as to what direction the center should be going.

Advice to Management

More efficient training overall for advisors and learn to split the responsibilities.

4. "Associate Instructor"

I worked at ELS Educational Services part-time

Pros

The staff are extremely respectful and so are the students. It was a great work environment.

Cons

There were not enough students to keep teachers on full time.

Advice to Management

No advice except to figure out a way to recruit more students.

"Associate Instructor"

I have been working at ELS Educational Services part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is great to work with students from other countries.

Cons

So many...Center is in an old, under kept building. The seniority ranking is idiotic as it often down ranks long-term, experienced teachers in favor newly graduated teachers with the "right degree". No paid planning. Ridiculous student surveys that hold too much weight. Bland, outdated teaching materials and uninviting classrooms. Inconsistent student population creates a lack of job security, which in turn, causes stress and anxiety.

Advice to Management

Value you your long-term employees. Do this by paying them for their planning, not placing so much value on surveys that are done by students that may have an agenda or lack the language skills needed to complete them. Do this by making years of loyalty something that employees can count on and not have to fear when a new hire walks in. Put some money into your facility and curriculum. Recruit! Recruit! Recruit!

6. "A mix ..."

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time

Pros

Great coworkers, good health benefits

Cons

work very dependent on student enrollment

"Teacher"

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time

Pros

Lots of lovely students that are from all over the world.

Cons

The education and materials are lacking

Advice to Management

Be honest and true to students and teachers.

"This is a grossly underpaid part time job, not a career"

Former Employee - Senior Instructor
    Former Employee - Senior Instructor

I worked at ELS Educational Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is an opportunity to learn about other countries and cultures through your students.

Cons

Enrollment is really low, so full-time work is fairly nonexistent and without enough hours, there are no benefits. Teaching materials are woefully outdated, as are computer systems and support for both students and staff. Corporate team's goals all seemed centered on cracking the whip on staff at individual learning centers instead of offering development and support.

Advice to Management

Find more students, reduce the number of corporate employees, update systems and teaching/learning resources.

ELS Educational Services Response

Jun 14, 2017

ELS is seriously committed to teacher training and professional development. As an example, over the past several years, ELS has provided full tuition and housing scholarships to more than 80 ELS... More

"Working at ELS"

Pros

The best reasons for working at this company is without a doubt the students. The students come from all kind of countries and are truly interested in learning English and about the American culture.

Cons

ELS is stuck in the 90's. The administrative processes are outdated and inefficient. This place is not for a place for person who is use to working a traditional university/college. The company is a "for profit" and student development and academic counseling is not a priority.

Advice to Management

I think management should focus on the domestic market of english learners. The prices of the programs should be lowered and classes should be offered in the evenings and weekends. Focus more on retention initiatives that emphasize student development especially for those that want to pursue a degree.

"Unjustly treated like persona non grata"

Former Employee - ESL Instructor
    Former Employee - ESL Instructor

I worked at ELS Educational Services part-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the start, there was an atmosphere of collaboration and even conviviality. I looked forward to the monthly graduation ceremonies for students. Even when some problems came about, a "SWAT Team member" was brought in for a month. With his guidance, I received my best student reviews ever and just prior to his intervention, I was given some helpful hints from visiting professionals from headquarters who criticized what was warranted and offered sincere praise that was not overdone. At the end of the most memorable session, we all received small tokens of appreciation that reflected our personalities or lifestyles.

Cons

Unfortunately, this expert leadership was short-lived. The academic director who hired me had been let go for some unknown reason, which prompted the arrival of the "SWAT Team member." Soon after, the center director left. In the midst of all this turmoil, my employer "forgot" to pay me not once but twice. There were never enough hours, so I was told I could work as many or as few sessions as I wanted. I was even encouraged to go on vacation due to low enrollment. When I returned, I almost ended up with no hours at all. Then to add insult to injury, I was confronted by angry students waving papers and demanding I change their grade. Instead of putting a stop to it, the center director turned around and gave me a verbal warning for raising my voice. I broke down and cried a few times in this atmosphere of hostility but I was trapped since I needed the money. Being terminated due to low enrollment was a blessing in disguise.

Advice to Management

Do not throw the baby out with the bath water. If anything, suggest solutions (leadership classes, assertiveness training, CELTA). Have the decency to send a termination letter (unless you wanted to avoid having to pay unemployment benefits) and do not treat employees like persona non grata.