EMC Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

EMC is now part of Dell. Dell and the EMC family of companies have united to become Dell Technologies. We drive global progress and transformation by bringing practical innovation to people and organizations everywhere. Let your career transformation begin at jobs.dell.com

EMC Atlanta Reviews

Atlanta, GA Area

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Dell

Pros
Cons
  • Can be tough to have a healthy work life balance if you are not careful, just depends on the role you are in (in 162 reviews)

• Political just as any big company (in 90 reviews)

1. "Sr Technical Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Kennesaw, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at EMC (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great training available
    Interesting/challenging and latest products
    Outstanding cooperation between teammates/colleagues
    Good management

Cons

EMC is large company. This can be good and bad. Would like to work for smaller company where contributions would have larger impact on overall success of the company.

"Good people, but"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay plan
    Best salespeople around.
    Empower employees to close sales
    Very smart leaders in sr. management positions
    Always working on next big thing

Cons

No excuses accepted - legit or not. My territory was incapable of supporting quota
    Quarterly pivots were tiring. Job #1 changed from one quarter to the next.
    1st line manager made the job much more difficult.
    Culture was win at all costs.

3. "First job out of college!"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant I in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant I in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a consultant, many aspects of the job could be pros or cons depending on who you talk to. You get to travel, earn airline miles and hotel points, eat amazing food, and make connections at each project you work on. But there are also projects where you may work from home through the duration, which is a nice break from flying out every week. Oh, and one of the best things is that you can move anywhere in the US so long as you are 2 hours from a major airport. Talk about a great first job! Also, I came in through their GSAP program which is a great way for us younguns to get much needed training and guidance through our first two years on the job.

Cons

The only downsides that I can think of would be if you didn't like traveling, you may be unhappy in this role because on most projects you fly out Sunday or Monday(depending on your PMS preference) and come back Thursday. Also, who knows what will happen to the employees once the Dell-EMC merger goes through.

"Good until bean counters took over"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Originally a great Company to work for. They cared about employees and fought hard to never layoff people. Benefits always the best while i was there.

Cons

Brought in "Advisors" and bean counters and suddenly cared more about cutting costs and people and moving any job possible to India!

Advice to Management

Return to caring about your employees. The Company is big enough and have enough other positions that you should at least try to give employees the opportunity.

"Senior Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Committed to project management as a professional discipline. Significant investment in standardizing project management methodology and comprehensive tool set. Autonomy for PMs that show they can deliver. Working with strong technical and sales resources.

Cons

Increasing pressure in US to use off-shore resources for delivering services.

"Enjoyed working for EMC."

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Snellville, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Snellville, GA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The diversity of people and different experiences. Working as a team is very rewarding

Cons

Dealing with management. Good group but do not listen to employees for improvements

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more

"CSE"

Former Employee - CSE in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - CSE in Duluth, GA

Pros

One of the leaders in the mass storage technology Industry. Provides a challenging work environment and has you working on customer sites for some of the largest corporation in the world such as AT&T, Coke Cola, CDC, Lockheed and most of the University's in the country.

Cons

In an effort to reduce the cost of their Field Service and Installation staff they began eliminating employees for obtuse reasons. Many of which could have been the basis for law suits including my own. I made a mistake which regularly is handled by some time spend with a more senior engineer to review the area were you needed help and at worse a write up if the mistake cost either the customer or EMC monetarily. My case cost neither but was used as a reason to terminate me. Now I'm not perfect but I had been there 5+ years with all excellent reviews and zero write up's. So if you ever wish to make decent money and want a future with a company at the same time EMC is not the place to go.

Advice to Management

Stop dropping industry and field proven engineers just to save a buck. Pushing inexperienced people thru a bunch of classes with a test at the end of each (you know reading memorizing and regurgitating) in order to be able to claim certification. Only creates accidents waiting to happen. Remember what happened out a Checkfree when you miss guessed how to deal with
    an employee.

"Confused Company"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Woodstock, GA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Woodstock, GA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good health benefits, smart people, great technology, good work/life balance depending on the division.

Cons

401K is $3K max match. Very poor. Good old boys club, pay under market value, hard to move up or around without jumping through hoops like a circus animal. Middle management (Director to VP) is a total waste. Incompetence is rampant and job protection is the goal. Need to show them all the door and restructure. Sr/Exec VP have a good vision, but too much in-fighting and CYA. Do what's right for the stock holders, employees, THEN worry about yourself last. Too much concern about profit only, not customers. Getting beat heavily in market and stock is stagnant for 10 years. Time to thin the herd.

Advice to Management

Time for Tucci to give it up. No real stock progress in 10 years except for himself and the chosen few. Complete the downstream merger with VMware and allow the shareholders to benefit.

10. "Schedule and Dispatch Specialist"

Current Employee - Schedule and Dispatch Specialist in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Schedule and Dispatch Specialist in Duluth, GA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the people are on a mission to please their customers and work hard despite any roadblocks to do just that.

Cons

Executive decisions are not made with the customer in mind.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's and empower them to make changes.

11. "Director of Global Accounts"

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very sales driven and customer focused

Cons

Bullies at the senior levels of sales management. Hyper political and slow

Advice to Management

no comment

Showing 20 of 4,298 reviews