EMC Insurance Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
EMC Insurance President, CEO and Treasurer Bruce G. Kelley
Bruce G. Kelley

1. "Great lifer company, not necessarily great for fast advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at EMC Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic benefits, managers are accessible, senior executives are willing to meet, and pay is fair for the industry and location if negotiated.

Cons

Currently conservative management culture that values tenure in position, advancement can be slow or nonexistent depending on department and level

Advice to Management

Appreciate that people are capable of learning new roles and that they can and should be able to move outside of a given department for advancement instead of being pigeonholed. Develop new positions as necessary to add value to the company and grow talent.

"Good company overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at EMC Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall has been a great tenure. The people tend to be great overall; every place will have their own rotten apples. Decent steady job with good pay and benefits. Changes in hierarchy both in the branch and in the company overall has been mostly beneficial. You are rewarded for continuing education and professional designations.

Cons

At times can seem unfair; punishment used to be doled out with no allowance for your say in the matter (at least in my situation); not allowed to even give your side of the story, let alone asked for it. Not always a lot of room for advancement for new employees beyond promotion to a higher version of their current position. Nepotism does seem to be present but will be addressed if complained about. The obsession with obtaining your CPCU is a bit much. Some supervisors seem woefully inept and some promotions seem to be on length of tenure rather than on ability.

"IT Intern"

Former Employee - IT Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Great work environment
    Competitive Pay
    Co-workers were great
    Management was good
    I would work here again if given the opportunity, overall great place to work

Cons

None that I can think of. Everything from my experience was pretty positive and I would work for this company again if I had the opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. It's a great place to work with good management and employees. They pay was also very fair.

4. "EMC Cincinnati Branch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at EMC Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our branch vision team asked the employees the number one thing they liked about EMC Cincinnati. Of 70 individual responses, the greatest majority by far said their co-workers/camaraderie. Other things were the benefits, the casual dress code, flexible hours, the branch management, and the overall atmosphere in our office. EMC truly cares about the employees from home office down through branch management. They are always looking for ways to make this the best place to work via benefits, salary, and corporate culture. We have MS Office Suite including Outlook and several web based current software including for HR/benefits/payroll, underwriting, employee development and compliance. EMC has strict rules against nepotism. There is an anonymous compliance line to report any harassment or inequality in the workplace. These complaints are investigated and addressed to the fullest extent by home office. I find EMC and specifically the Cincinnati branch to be a fabulous place to work.

Cons

None specific to EMC or our branch. There are bound to be differences in personality between some people and management. With 2200 employees nationwide, the lack of negative reviews indicates that the vast majority of employees are very happy.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! We appreciate all you do for us!

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at EMC Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The health benefits are great. My manager is great. Life is so much better here than my former employer. Easy to calculate bonus. Nice people over all.

Cons

Mapper is outdated. When the bonus is high, the raises are low.

"Underwriter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at EMC Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed underwriting because I'm good at it.

Cons

Every underwriter was on a different page & the mgt didn't seem to care. Only cared that Newer underwriters were watched closer than those that had been employed longer despite Underwriter experience. Not very inviting group & hard to become part of it. Very unprofessional office with different standards for different people. Some can work from home but most can't. Met my 40% of my production goals in 2 months but still issues there & no recognition for my work.

Advice to Management

Watch what your underwriters do & give those we both experience an opportunity to use it. Don't treat them like they are children. See who comes in early & stays late and who never comes in the office. Split up the business among all underwriters by production #s instead of assigning 2 agts to 1 Underwriter & 24 to as another.

7. "Senior Claims"

Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Adjuster in Charlotte, NC

I worked at EMC Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits. Company pays for continuing education. CEO seems to be a good man but needs to pay close attention to his management.

Cons

No opportunity for growth.
    Micromanagement.
    Sex discrimination.
    Years behind in technology.
    Supervisors allowed to harass/discriminate.
    Senior Management not approachable.
    Unequal workloads.
    Nepotism and favoritism within teams/branches.

Advice to Management

Actually look at your employees and see what they are doing and what they are capable of. Be approachable and "listen"!

8. "EMC - Birmingham"

Former Employee - Underwriting Intern in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Underwriting Intern in Birmingham, AL

Pros

Friendly atmosphere, got a good look at all major parts of the carrier side of insurance, knowledgeable employees and managers

Cons

Not everyone on same page about certain tasks - UA and underwriter conflict, different ways of doing the same task, etc.

"Commercial Lines Underwriter"

Former Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter II in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter II in Overland Park, KS

I worked at EMC Insurance (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good benefits and competitive salary. Nice building and office.

Cons

Paranoid branch management. Wanted underwriters to basically be clones. Original or differing though was discouraged. Older employees being dismissed fairly frequently

Advice to Management

Listen to employees.

"Nepotism / favoritism 101"

Former Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Des Moines, IA

I worked at EMC Insurance full-time

Pros

Has decent benefits but low-salary

Cons

Too many family members work at this company. Nepotism is rampant. If you are not one of the chosen ones, good luck getting an advancement at this company. Technology is still an issue at this company and hampers one's ability to effectively do their job

Advice to Management

Get rid of your Egos and listen to the people that work on the front lines