EMC Reviews in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

EMC is now part of Dell. Dell and the EMC family of companies have united to become Dell Technologies. We drive global progress and transformation by bringing practical innovation to people and organizations everywhere. Let your career transformation begin at jobs.dell.com

EMC New York City Reviews

New York City, NY Area

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Dell

Pros
Cons
  • Can be tough to have a healthy work life balance if you are not careful, just depends on the role you are in (in 165 reviews)

• Political just as any big company (in 90 reviews)

1. "TECHNICAL SUPPORT"

Current Employee - Technical Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support in New York, NY

Pros

Technical Support is nice work

Cons

Technical Support is benificial work and more profit

Advice to Management

Hi sir

2. "Before Dell buyout"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good technical training on advance tools

Cons

Salary increases are small but regular and Dell buyout pending this year

"Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many tremendous associates at the individual-contributor level. Solid benefits. Opportunities across multiple lines of business

Cons

Salary lags the industry by a lot. Bias against remote and field-office workers. Bloated mid-level management. Continually poor BU-level senior management. Strategic plan often sacrificed to make the quarterly numbers. Bloodbath as people now fight to stay on to the close of the Dell deal and have their options vest.

Advice to Management

Too much talk about movement to a solutions orientation. The culture is too geared toward selling storage boxes only. Stop trying to build new storage hardware and create true cross-Federation solutions that are comp-neutral across VMware, Pivotal, RSA, and EMC.

"Re-org, Re-org, Re-org.... Sell to Dell"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Brunswick, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Brunswick, NJ

I worked at EMC (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good people. Hopkinton is near fenway

Cons

Too much uncertainty. Re-org's occur regularly. Politics is a contact sports. Layoff's occur frequently. With the Dell sale, more layoffs are inevitable.

Advice to Management

Be honest about how stable EMC is. I left because I didn't have faith in staying at EMC.

6. "A waste of my time!"

Current Employee - Advisory Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Systems Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They REALLY want you to stay current on your education!

Cons

For over a year, I've done nothing. All I want to do is the job that I was hired for (SE to one of the major SIs they partner with). But I have not been given the opportunity. Never given the chance to interact with team members, staff. Am still trying to understand why I was hired. But the good thing was I got paid all my salary/bonuses. I was in sales, and for the last 4 months, had no expenses to report!

Advice to Management

Give people the chance to do the job they were hired to do, don't go off doing their job, act like a manager, not one of the staff......

7. "Live in India"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Pros

- There were some very knowledgeable people with some impressive educational accomplishments.
    . If you are a "coder", you have the ability to flex your programming muscles.

Cons

Everything they can possibly move off-shore, they are.
    They used to be very strong in employee training through their EMC University. No longer...they are more interested in gaining new knowledge by aquiring companies than growing it organically.

Advice to Management

You used to have a company that you could say you worked at with pride. Now, it is known as a joint where you take what you can from a US-based expert, then move it to India and dump you.

"I worked like a slave with no support or appreciation"

Former Employee - PMO - Director of Professional Services Program Management in White Plains, NY

Pros

EMC is a very large company with well-known products and services, and brand recognition. My job at EMC provided me experience of managing many very large, complex IT projects across many different business units and functional areas (i.e. across finance, marketing, sales, legal, and engineering at many different business units). I was able to obtain more experience working with storage, network management, and virtualization technologies.

Cons

I was practically working round the clock, between 50 and 80 hours a week and an average of around 70 or 75 hours every week. I was working 6 and usually 7 days a week. I was on back-to-back phone calls managing projects and holding project status meetings. My phone calls were continuous from about 7:30 am until 8:00 pm and then I was working until 11:00 pm or midnight completing reports and meetiing minutes, organizing my teams, following up on open issues, checking status of the projects of my other project managers, and making sure everyone was reporting their hours. My team supported 3000 projects per year and I personally managed an average of 65 projects at a time. The work environment between team managers was very combatative and everyone felt on edge all of the time. The management team did not make team members feel appreciated for their hard work and did not provide recommended methods of improving but only provided very negative feedback. My personal life and physical health suffered while I worked there due to the high amount of work environment stress.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training managers on how to treat their employees fairly and do not reward managers for keeping their jobs by degrading their team members. There should be a rating system which enables employees to speak annonymously and freely to rate their manager. If their manager does not show signs of improvement, they should be reprimanded and penalized until they show improvement. Treating employees in such a negative manner will cause the committed and high performers to leave the company, and can ultimately affect client relationships as employees who are under fire can not perform well or deliver high quality work when they are continually on the defense against verbal and mental attack.

9. "Smart & Aggressive"

Current Employee - Advisory Account Technical Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Account Technical Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Great Pay for Hard workers

Cons

Disrespectful work atmosphere...dod eat dog

Advice to Management

Recession is eating your ILM strategy

"Incredibly smart people, but trouble with leading."

Current Employee - Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive in New York, NY

Pros

The amount of information you receive around education.

Cons

Sometimes shows a lack of true leadership

Advice to Management

It's about your employees. Create a mind sharing, inclusive environment. It is very tough to work for some people who don't care about you as a person; it seems to be only about them. I believe if your employees are happy, production will come.

"Just a job, not a career"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in White Plains, NY

Pros

Financially stable, at least for the moment

Cons

Big company mentality -- bureaucratic, slow to react, entrenched ways of doing things persist even if they are counter-productive.

Advice to Management

Fire the entire IT department and get people who understand that IT's job is to make the company's people more productive.

Showing 10 of 4,338 reviews