EMC Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Dell

Pros
Cons
  • Can be tough to have a healthy work life balance if you are not careful, just depends on the role you are in (in 165 reviews)

• Political just as any big company (in 90 reviews)

"Operations Specialist"

Former Employee - Maintenance Ops Analyst in Franklin, MA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Ops Analyst in Franklin, MA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to work from home. Working overtime can be beneficial at times. At the end of quarters, you'll get half days for the most part. Ice cream time is always a plus...idk.

Cons

Okay, where do I start. The politics are so bad there. Managers will fire you just by not liking you. Supervisors would walk away while you're talking to them, how disrespectful is that. Other coworkers want to look good so they will try to make it seem like you don't know anything at all so they could look good for the supervisors/managers. You'll work there for years and no raise. People talk crap about each other all the time. They think they know everything and won't help you but turn around and have someone else do their work for them. This has to be the worst work experience I've ever had. It is unhealthy to work under those conditions, leaving work fearing if you're on the brink of getting fired because the supervisors could seem like they are on their periods on day, this includes the male supervisors, then happy the other. Don't try to make friends, just work and try to transfer if you're in the Franklin location. Beware if you end up working there. EMC in a whole, because the politics are ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Listen to your coworkers and stop being so disrespectful to the employees that are helping you get jobs done. You seem like you love toying with employees emotions and families and that's not fine. Stop giving nonsense trainings that the employees will never use. Give raises and not wait 10 years to get one raise. Stop making this an unhealthy work environment. When employees need help with something, don't think they don't know anything at all, they just need some calcifications.

2. "No trust"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at EMC (More than a year)

Pros

Working with hard working, dedicated people

Cons

Management only cares for their bonuses and their friends. No appreciation.

Advice to Management

appreciate the hard working and loyal people. They are not just the numbers in the end of the day.

"Dell merger destroyed many lives"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for EMC for 15 years until the Dell merger. EMC was a great company but then became a ton pf politics and job uncertainty.

Cons

The dell merger lead to good people either being fired or just leaving.. To this day I am hearing from my friends that the heads are still rolling. I was laid off my last position as a Solutions Architect and asked to interview for another position in presales which I though and was told I nailed even through the hour mock presentation. 2 weeks went by an was told i didn't get it because i didnt have presales experience.. WELL DUHHHH I was asked to interview knowing that I didn't have presales experience an was told i did a amazing job. None the less found out a family member of the hiring manager with zero experience got the job which infuriated me.. Its a blessing that I didn't get the job because now I have a civil service position with a pension so take that EMC Dell whatever you're head chopping name is lol..

Advice to Management

Actually advice to current employees and potential employees... DONT WORK HERE IF YOU LIKE JOB SECURITY!!!

"horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

they require I put five words in here to submit the form

Cons

Management is quick to fire people for minor mistakes. Tried to set up a plan for improving my performance and was consistently ignored, pushed off, pandered to, and then when I made a mistake I was fired the next morning. No warnings. Nothing. Just got a call saying my badge wouldn't work and I didn't need to worry about coming in in the morning.

"Don't take a job here"

Former Employee - Principal Contracts Manager in Ashland, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Contracts Manager in Ashland, MA

I worked at EMC (More than a year)

Pros

The commute was pretty convenient

Cons

Total inertia. Horrible work environment. Terrible management. Totally PC environment. I hated this place more than any other place I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to this review.

7. "Fast paced group"

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

Opportunities to learn. There is a large storehouse of database information, training materials etc. the federation is constantly making acquisitions of leading companies.

Cons

Poor work life balance. Expected to understand patchwork of 1year old legacy process and systems, other you get penalized in every way.

"WORST IT COMPANY IN 2016"

Former Employee - Software Tester in Apex, NC
    Former Employee - Software Tester in Apex, NC

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

too much CBT and not enough hands on trainings.....

Cons

un trained managers, untrained cell leads, Manpower staff sucks, they bring unqualfieid poeple to do testing for their hardware and they are not trained to do so

Advice to Management

get rid of your HR management who are using as slaves manpwer sstaff for low wage

"last experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefit, Good technologies, Good knowledge pool system

Cons

too many politic and selfish people,
    Lack of mentoring

"Terrible job, horrible benefits, and no care over employees"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

EMC used to have great health insurance, stock options, and it was a great place to work. Since the recent acquisition plans the company has gone into a downward spiral.

Cons

Insurance is terrible, jobs are extremely stressful, also they expect you to work without taking a vacation. I haven't had a vacation in 6 years. They they sign non-competes with every company. So you will never find another job with other places.

Advice to Management

Don't be a manager, they make managers have a full 40 hour job and manage teams of 30. Run away!

"Food Service Coordinator"

Former Employee - Cook in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Cook in Miami, FL

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Near my home and I love to cook. I enjoyed interacting with the students, training them, mentoring them and teaching them how to acquire life skills.

Cons

There was no raises for anyone for 10 yrs. We got no respect from management. After all our loyal service, we received no serverance pay or help with job placement.

Advice to Management

Be more professional, stop making up rules as you go along. Put people in charge who know how to treat and behave around subordinates.

Showing 210 of 4,340 reviews