EMC Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Michael Dell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The passion of EMC can turn to poor work / life balance if you allow it to (in 171 reviews)

• Big company so overlapping product lines (in 94 reviews)

"ASE"

I worked at EMC full-time

Pros

-had good benefits (not sure after the merger)

Cons

-run techs into the ground
    -trying hard to outsource
    -cust no longer comes first

Advice to Management

If your employees feel appreciated they will work harder for you naturally. Treating them like they are slaves will get you nowhere.

"Going downhill fast!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits we had an EMC were amazing. The medical/dental plans that were offered were spectacular compared to what else is out there. The vacation time was also comparable too.

Cons

When we were acquired by Dell everything went downhill. There was no communication from the Dell side. We were not included in any decisions or communication. Everything we got was filtered through other people. We were trying to integrate the two systems (I worked in HR) and they would send out the wrong link to employees and we on the EMC HR side would have to deal with all of the question. They would never send out a follow up email stating the correct link. And we were not allowed to send anything out to clarify.

Advice to Management

If your intention was to drive out all the legacy EMC employees. You definitely succeeded. Between the layoffs and normal attrition you have driven many out. And the few that are still there are miserable so it's a matter of time before they leave too. It's really a shame, because we did have a great company during the Egan, Ruettgers days.

"On a fast lane to oblivion"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at EMC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to build foundation knowledge.
    Good work life balance.

Cons

Deeply entrenched executives. Lack enthusiasm to keep others updated on strategy.
    Lackluster compensation compared to NetApp or HP or Google Cloud.
    Reseller company, nothing original and lacks the motivation to innovate.

Advice to Management

CPSD Senior Product Mgmt is a group of outdated individuals. Lack the motivation to be transparent. Lacks basic enthusiasm to keep team members updated.

"Don't know where to start."

Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Durham, NC
    Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Durham, NC

I worked at EMC as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none. I tried to think of even one thing, but nothing comes to mind.

Cons

- Management.
    - Culture.
    - Facilities.
    - Pay.
    - Everything else.

Place is a frat-house mentality dumpster fire that hates intellect, creativity, innovation, and most of all its customers.

Stay far away.

Advice to Management

None. You've almost reached the end, now that you've been acquired by Dell. Good luck.

"Operations Specialist"

Former Employee - Maintenance Ops Analyst in Franklin, MA
    Former Employee - Maintenance Ops Analyst in Franklin, MA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to work from home. Working overtime can be beneficial at times. At the end of quarters, you'll get half days for the most part. Ice cream time is always a plus...idk.

Cons

Okay, where do I start. The politics are so bad there. Managers will fire you just by not liking you. Supervisors would walk away while you're talking to them, how disrespectful is that. Other coworkers want to look good so they will try to make it seem like you don't know anything at all so they could look good for the supervisors/managers. You'll work there for years and no raise. People talk crap about each other all the time. They think they know everything and won't help you but turn around and have someone else do their work for them. This has to be the worst work experience I've ever had. It is unhealthy to work under those conditions, leaving work fearing if you're on the brink of getting fired because the supervisors could seem like they are on their periods on day, this includes the male supervisors, then happy the other. Don't try to make friends, just work and try to transfer if you're in the Franklin location. Beware if you end up working there. EMC in a whole, because the politics are ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Listen to your coworkers and stop being so disrespectful to the employees that are helping you get jobs done. You seem like you love toying with employees emotions and families and that's not fine. Stop giving nonsense trainings that the employees will never use. Give raises and not wait 10 years to get one raise. Stop making this an unhealthy work environment. When employees need help with something, don't think they don't know anything at all, they just need some calcifications.

6. "No trust"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at EMC (More than a year)

Pros

Working with hard working, dedicated people

Cons

Management only cares for their bonuses and their friends. No appreciation.

Advice to Management

appreciate the hard working and loyal people. They are not just the numbers in the end of the day.

"Dell merger destroyed many lives"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for EMC for 15 years until the Dell merger. EMC was a great company but then became a ton pf politics and job uncertainty.

Cons

The dell merger lead to good people either being fired or just leaving.. To this day I am hearing from my friends that the heads are still rolling. I was laid off my last position as a Solutions Architect and asked to interview for another position in presales which I though and was told I nailed even through the hour mock presentation. 2 weeks went by an was told i didn't get it because i didnt have presales experience.. WELL DUHHHH I was asked to interview knowing that I didn't have presales experience an was told i did a amazing job. None the less found out a family member of the hiring manager with zero experience got the job which infuriated me.. Its a blessing that I didn't get the job because now I have a civil service position with a pension so take that EMC Dell whatever you're head chopping name is lol..

Advice to Management

Actually advice to current employees and potential employees... DONT WORK HERE IF YOU LIKE JOB SECURITY!!!

8. "Sr.SA"

I worked at EMC full-time

Pros

Work environment is Good (again its depend on the Department or Group or Management). My team is Good.

Cons

People who are working under non-immigration, this is not the company to choose for full-time.

Advice to Management

Please train your management and hr staff how to help and show respect towards the ex-employees.

"horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

they require I put five words in here to submit the form

Cons

Management is quick to fire people for minor mistakes. Tried to set up a plan for improving my performance and was consistently ignored, pushed off, pandered to, and then when I made a mistake I was fired the next morning. No warnings. Nothing. Just got a call saying my badge wouldn't work and I didn't need to worry about coming in in the morning.

"Don't take a job here"

Former Employee - Principal Contracts Manager in Ashland, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Contracts Manager in Ashland, MA

I worked at EMC (More than a year)

Pros

The commute was pretty convenient

Cons

Total inertia. Horrible work environment. Terrible management. Totally PC environment. I hated this place more than any other place I have ever worked.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to this review.

Showing 216 of 4,534 reviews