EMC Reviews | Glassdoor

EMC Reviews

Updated December 13, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The passion of EMC can turn to poor work / life balance if you allow it to (in 171 reviews)

• Big company so overlapping product lines (in 93 reviews)

1. "Sr. Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Nashua, NH

I worked at EMC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good technologies, training, benefits, education tuition assistance, equipment, time flexibility

Cons

Too much management overhead, too much politics, bad management

"software engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

used to be good before starting outsourcing majority jobs to India

Cons

Used to be good co before new top managers came software division after 2012 and 2014, Currently company doesn't have any good strategy to survive, doing not well

"Test Technician"

Former Employee - Senior Test Technician in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Test Technician in San Jose, CA

I worked at EMC (Less than a year)

Pros

It is not best place to work

Cons

A lot of stress,negative experience

4. "Senior Consultant"

Pros

Decent Pay and bonus structure.

Cons

Bad Management. No work life balance.

"Uncertain times ahead"

Former Employee - Director Marketing in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Director Marketing in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong leadership and vision, great people and benefits.

Cons

Disruption and uncertainty puts people's career on hold.

"EMC"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in San Jose, CA

I have been working at EMC (More than 8 years)

Pros

There is a fair amount of work time flexibility.

Cons

You're nobody and you better like what you do because you're not getting an opportunity here.

"Support"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pembroke, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pembroke, MA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Not a good atmosphere at all. You have no sense whatsoever of your job status with all the cuts going on. Here you are just a number.

8. "Review"

Current Employee - Engineering in Uxbridge, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Uxbridge, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    Great Management

Cons

Lower pay in comparison to other companies

9. "Great team to work on until all this talk of "Dell" - let the petty penny-pinching begin..."

I worked at EMC full-time

Pros

I once worked on a great team, which was left in shambles because of upper and executive management. When working on projects, people genuinely cared, listened and tried to work together to build great products. After all the layoff announcements, things just weren't the same. Some people left on their own accord, others stuck around out of "loyalty" to coworker friends, and others continue to remain at a loss to this day. Otherwise, the working environment *was* good. Benefits are pretty good. Immediate managers and directors were all very good people and very reasonable.

Cons

Petty and penny-pinching at every opportunity. There's a lot of talk thrown around about how the company is about its "people" and its employees. But employees are just a number and talk is cheap. Employees are assets and liabilities, not people. I get it, that's how every corporation is supposed to operate, isn't it? Apparently so... anyway, this is a great outlook to maintain if you want to see a continuous outflow of top performers and contributors. Oh but be careful on your exit that you tally up anything that might have incurred "costs" while working here, because they'll be sure to come after you for it. Culture? The only culture I knew of was the healthy culture created in my immediate team and group. I didn't see it exemplified anywhere else, in upper management, or consistently across the organization.

As far as direction of the group I was in. Things started going south a few years ago. Finally, in this past year, they kept pushing for a product in which they had no real or solid road map. The end result? Over-promises and under-deliveries. And the result of that? Lay offs. The latest venture seems like a hail-Mary for the most part. Lots of people have doubts of its success and I think many people are keeping their heads down trying to get it to work (because they're on the line) OR they already know they're on the line and are working hard to gain as much experience as they can to polish up on their resumes. To them I say: "good luck, my friends."

Advice to Management

I know you had to do it because of the looming Dell acquisition, and business is business. Everything is always a "business decision" - but try not to be so cold to your "assets" during or after their departure (especially when you ultimately initiated their departure). They may just come back and write negative reviews about you on Glassdoor, which probably end up as insignificant as the employee was to you anyway. And as far as the "cost-cutting" measures. I'm sure EMC is under the gun to pinch pennies in every which way. Gotta save-save-save for when Dell comes in to straighten things out even more. I guess in 6 months, when you guys become Dell, none of this will matter. What matters now is that you, upper/executive management, continue to look out for yourselves at the expense of the current [and former] employees under you. After all, you may be out of a job when Dell determines your role is a duplicate role. At the end of the day, who cares about any of this? The executives are probably just working hard to secure their collective $147 million dollar payday by any means possible.

"Rewards longevity vs. contribution"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Hopkinton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible hours, reasonable pay. There are many talented and dedicated engineers in the company

Cons

Poor facilities - cubes or shared offices for most people. Rewards people who have been employed longest versus those with best talent or skills. Highly political with obvious favoritism. Remote senior management who protects their local "turf" and employees at the expense of those people remote to them.

Advice to Management

Revisit how layoffs are done. Rethink the strategy of having so many of key executives and leaders for all areas outside of Hopkinton.

Showing 391 of 4,509 reviews