EMC Senior Marketing Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Michael Dell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Can be tough to have a healthy work life balance if you are not careful, just depends on the role you are in (in 165 reviews)

• Political just as any big company (in 91 reviews)

"EMC Information Intelligence Group"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Project Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A professional and collaborative work environment. EMC has attracted some of the industry's best and brightest in their enterprise content management group. Their client base is solid and supportive. Career growth is encouraged.

Cons

This is an enormous highly "matrixed" corporation with regular organizational redirections. Some changes are reactive to the industry, of course, but others are strategic reorganizations by top executive management.

Advice to Management

Commit to longer-term strategies that take global industry uncertainties into consideration.

2. "Marketing Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at EMC (More than 3 years)

Pros

professional atmosphere, competent staff, above average pay

Cons

constant mgmt. shakeups, general uncertainty, middle-mgmt disconnected

"Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many tremendous associates at the individual-contributor level. Solid benefits. Opportunities across multiple lines of business

Cons

Salary lags the industry by a lot. Bias against remote and field-office workers. Bloated mid-level management. Continually poor BU-level senior management. Strategic plan often sacrificed to make the quarterly numbers. Bloodbath as people now fight to stay on to the close of the Dell deal and have their options vest.

Advice to Management

Too much talk about movement to a solutions orientation. The culture is too geared toward selling storage boxes only. Stop trying to build new storage hardware and create true cross-Federation solutions that are comp-neutral across VMware, Pivotal, RSA, and EMC.

"6 Bosses in 16 months"

Former Employee - Senior Principal Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Marketing Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at EMC (More than a year)

Pros

Not a tough role, but no ability to impact a falling star.

Cons

Too many different businesses, strategy always changing, internecine warfare, mergers, acquisitions. A mess. New England is cold.

Advice to Management

Merge with Dell, that will work! Hahahah!

"One of the best companies I have worked for in the past 20 + years"

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company in a growing market.
    Federation of companies stand alone in the industry as a leader in IT infrastructure and cutting edge technology.
    EMC invests in R&D and MA more than most make.

Cons

Still a big company with all that comes with it. The challenge in the market are great and changing rapidly. This can create challenge for anyone who is new to the industry.

"Great Place to work.... for now"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Management understands what they need to do to be successful and are focused on success. Have made some crazy good acquisitions and have learned how to bring them into the family, or leave them alone depending on what is needed.

Cons

Still a little bit of an old boys network, you need to learn who the inner circle is. Storage business is getting flat and they are increasingly becoming a holding company.

Advice to Management

need to focus on developing career advancement options

"Imagine working at the company in "Office Space" - that place was much better than EMC!"

Former Contractor - Senior Marketing Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Contractor - Senior Marketing Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at EMC as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

1. There are tons of information available to do your job
    2. Depending on your manager, you can work from home
    3. Depending on your group, you may have some decent coworkers
    4. You get a relatively decent PC when you work there - as an FTE you get a cell phone (ok that's a pro and a con)
    5. IT Helpdesk is available 24/7 and believe me, you need it because the IT infrastructure sucks.

Cons

1. No one ever decommissions anything off their Intranet so it is hard to dig through what's useful or even current*
    2. Work-life balance doesn't exist, even for contractors. Early (as in 5AM) meetings are not uncommon. Make sure you check your e-Mail before you go to sleep (that is if you can sleep)
    3. Management doesn't care about you - most managers are simply higher level employees with supposedly "better" pay. Don't expect them to guide you, mentor you or even manage you.
    4. Unless you negotiate a high starting salary, don't even think about getting close to market rate until you leave. In my case, I was in initially given an offer in 2010 for the amount I made in 1998. Full disclosure, I made half as much as I did in 1998 as I did in 2010. You do the math.
    5. Lots of intra- and inter-department politics. I ended up leaving the company because two people I worked with in another group didn't do their jobs and I got blamed for their ineptness
    6. Way too many pet projects where managers hire their friends as "consultants" paying them more than they ever deserve
    7. Doing a good job is ignored while mediocrity is rewarded. Many of the people who have been there for years should have been fired a long time ago, but somehow still manage to stay for no reason

Advice to Management

Get rid of the entire IIG marketing organization from the top down. Rebuild it from scratch and hire people who actually know how to do their jobs. Pay market rate if not more - you can afford to do that.

"Not the nicest people I've ever worked with."

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Program Manager in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Program Manager in Hopkinton, MA

I worked at EMC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pays well. There is no respect for a personal life.

Cons

You will work for every nickel!

Advice to Management

Treat people better and demand that they do the same to one another. I found that from the top down, people are disrespectful of co workers, vendors and partners.

9. "Fantastic people, interesting work"

Current Employee - Senior Product Marketing Manager in Hopkinton, MA

I have been working at EMC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I interact with is very nice and work towards a common goal. The company is making an effort to improve the culture - it's not that its a bad culture, but they are trying to be more fun and flexible. I would say salaries are fair, maybe even above average.

Cons

Since I live in Boston, the location is far and traffic can be difficult. Also related to the location, there isn't a whole lot of stuff around the campus in Hopkinton - 2 small bars, a couple of gas stations and a grocery store which isn't very helpful if you need to run errands during lunch, etc.

Advice to Management

Communication with employees is very good and feedback is solicited, but it would be nice to have a little personal interaction even if it was just a small group.

10. "EMC - Good opportunity for hard driver to learn and advance your career"

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Hopkinton, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Hopkinton, MA

Pros

Excellent technology company that is driven to lead in the markets where it competes. Good, competitive pay and very good benefits package.

Cons

It's a very hard-charging environment. Evaluations are driven by quarterly Management by Objectives (MBO). You need to ensure that your MBOs are realistic and achievable. In my case, numerous items were added and I was unable to complete all my MBOs in one quarter, and there was hell to pay from my management. So, the key is ongoing communication, really negotiation with your manager.

Advice to Management

They have actively transformed the company to capitalize on information storage and retrieval trends and position the company very well and ahead of competition.