EMCORE Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "stationary engineer"

Current Employee - Stationary Engineer in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Stationary Engineer in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at EMCORE full-time

Pros

cool co-workers. No oversight. Do whatever the hell you want and collect a paycheck.

Cons

lol. worst company ever worked for. PTO is a joke. Screwed me out of my 5k relocation funds and now I'm suing them. Lied to me about schedule. Lied to me about the operation. Now our contract is up and we may all be out of a job. Was con'd into taking this job I feel like.

2. "Refuses to implement current standards and norms"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at EMCORE as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with my team.

Cons

Worked hard to bring my team up to current standards and norms, but upper management killed progress and reverted back to standards and norms held 5+ years ago, which is an eon in today's market environment. They are never going to be competitive with their current mentality.

Advice to Management

Get out of the dinosaur age and let your staff help you with this, otherwise you are bound to fail

"Avoid if possible"

Current Employee - Production Operator in Alhambra, CA
    Current Employee - Production Operator in Alhambra, CA

I have been working at EMCORE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a good customer base and there's room to make money. Emcore has a good portion of market share

Cons

Low pay, less than average benefits. Old equipment and too many personal entanglements happening on the floor between operators. Company has a loose outlook on safety as a whole, no chemical gloves/aprons available.

Advice to Management

Mgmt comes and goes and nothing changes for the better

"Steer clear of this company..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at EMCORE full-time

Pros

Great R&D professionals with some pockets of excellence in the operations departments. Support staff that has survived the many layoffs are very nice to work with despite their survival related habits.

Cons

Operational management teams are stuck in outdated and ineffective management methodologies. It doesn't matter if best practices are suggested as anything different is shot down since it threatens the status quo and empire building. Mistakes are punished harshly and accomplishments are all but ignored. Very poor management structure with too many senior managers jousting for position and attention from the top brass. EMCORE was a small business success story that is now headed to being just another statistic.

Advice to Management

Set your strategy up for the long term and start behaving like an established company. Overhaul your entire senior management layer including personnel. Key players quitting even without a job lined up should be a clear sign that the manager in charge is the wrong person for the job. If you can express your lack of confidence in an entire division to an individual person then why not express it to the organization as a whole.

"Not to be considered a reliable employer for long-term employments."

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

I really can not think of any pros other than it was a job that payed the bills ...

Cons

Lots of politics and incompetent engineers. Not much respect for hard working employees... Lots of favoritism within managements. Obvious disconnect between HR and personnel. Has seen and felt discrimination and self biasing exerted by managers. Overall, Not a pleasant working environment (mostly due to management attitudes and incompetencies). Lots of layoffs...

Advice to Management

Managers need to value hard working employees and give them promotions. None of the managers have "managing" and "people" experience. Managers/directors need to open their minds to new ideas and work hard instead of trying to find escape goats or under-dogs for their screw ups. Managers need to find ways to reduce the number of layoffs and engage/contribute to scheduling, distributing and assigning clear responsibilities and instructions, There is no "company process" in place. Managers need to put an end to favoritism and bureaucracy. They need to hire knowledgeable and responsible/credible employees...

"Do Not Work Here!"

Former Employee - Production Operator in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Production Operator in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

A lot of talented people work in the engineering side, only thing that has kept the doors open. Other than that, there aren't any pros really.

Cons

the culture is absolutely horrible. This is set by the poor management from top to bottom. There isn't a single qualified person in their position. The top management are engineers whom have zero business sense and are wasting their true talents. This is leading them to hire awful middle, and lower management. because these people are not qualified or confident in their positions, they use fear to control people. If they feel threatened by how hard you work, they go out of their way to make you look bad. I worked there for almost seven years and worked my butt off. My boss felt threatened by the level of work I was producing and promptly set me up in a bogus situation and had me terminated. Unfortunately, I was not the first person to receive such treatment.

Advice to Management

Fire all and start over with new culture and mindset ASAP!

7. "Emcore has the potential to be a market leader, but the internal disfunctional management is killing this company"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at EMCORE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The cutting edge technology in several areas is an incentive to work at this company.
    And I liked the can-do attitude to get problems solved at the technical level.

Cons

There were several million-dollar programs that were being run as graduate student projects. No documentation, no work processes, and 'star' leaders that would not work with anyone. Teamwork was not something that was encouraged, and individual mistakes were severely punished.

Advice to Management

Bring in an experienced business management team and demote the PhD's to technical leadership. Focus on the value of product lines, and the actual costs of each product line. Install teamwork processes, and create business processes and structures. Make the effort to really value your personnel, instead of using them as a cash-flow balancing tool.

8. "waste of time"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Alhambra, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Alhambra, CA

I worked at EMCORE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

none, none , none , none

Cons

Layoffs , Layoffs and more Layoffs .... good people are leaving .
    Record success in loosing $$ year after year .

Advice to Management

Find new management

"Good people and good ideas flushed down the drain by incredibly inept management"

Current Employee - Engineer in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Engineer in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at EMCORE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The technical staff who work here are typically incredibly knowledgeable and talented.

Cons

The high talent level is dragged down by an inability to remove obvious dead weight, which typically moves up the ladder with this company. If you are useless, or are good at sounding intelligent without putting any effort into your ideas you should apply today with this company, you will probably make manager within a few years. Salaries are abysmal, and the rewards are only verbal. If you can pay your bills with "atta-boys" you will be just fine. Unfortunately, most of us need an monetary investment in our personal worth from our employer. The saddest part is that everyone at the company who is not buddy-buddy with senior management knows that it is a terrible company, and has grown to expect things to not change.

Advice to Management

Go join a terrorist organization, so they can benefit from your highly effective ways at demoralizing members and destroying competent people.

10. "One of the most dysfunctional companies I've ever worked at"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Alhambra, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Alhambra, CA

I worked at EMCORE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Umm.... I guess if you suck at your job then you might be safe here.

Cons

Pretty much everything from pay to incentives to equipment to employee morale and getting anything accomplished. Oh and the stock price performance is a joke.

Advice to Management

Quit. You're all talk and no substance. It amazes me that you're still employed in your capacity considering the stock price performance and the inability of your company to do anything well. If it wasn't for the US government propping you guys up you're house of cards would have been dead a long time ago. Talk is cheap and everyone worth keeping can see through your charades.