EMG Corp Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Claude Limoges

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A time and a place for everything"

Former Employee - A&E Project Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - A&E Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at EMG Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Emg has lots of work in lots of places and will pay for you to go there for as long as you can tolerate

Cons

Very challenging culture. This is a company in transition. The president of the company is very passionate about Emg I think that blind sides him. It's a shame because changes need to take place which includes respecting the people in the field who do all the dirty work. There is no respect for time - for your personal time. Nor is there a adequate compensation for the time field people spend traveling to and from job sites -

Advice to Management

Stop and just slow down. Make the changes you need to make - give your people who work hard for you the respect they deserve and then think about getting bigger. You can't do it without us.

"Sweat shop"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at EMG Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home is the biggest (maybe only) draw here. Extensive travel is great for airline miles and rental car points.

Cons

Work from home quickly nullified by realizing you will be sleeping in a hotel room half the year. Airline miles and rental car points don't help when you are so sick of travelling you just want to stay home for once.
    This place a sweat shop. Company is consistently trying to increase profits by overworking employees and cutting corners. Their business model is based on the quantity of reports produced meaning they are always trying to find new ways to get a report out the door faster so they can get to the next one. These constant attempts at shortening report production time generally come at the expense of the employees who are constantly subjected to changes in processes and who are not given adequate time to finish their work. Pay can be very low depending on your qualifications and there is no overtime pay or bonuses paid of any kind, but they will tell you thank you and how important you are until you can't stand it anymore. Many days can be 12+ hours due to travel, which will be extensive. They are lying when they tell you most of your trips will be day trips in your region of the country. You will be all over the place all the time. When you travel they will want you find a hotel in major metro areas for $100/night or less. Google that real quick and see what you get. Motel6 is more than that most places.
    They once tried to tell me I had to use a PTO day as a full-time employee because they had no work for me. Not exactly creating a sense of confidence in the company. They try way to hard to promote a sense of "family" since most employees are remote. This is overdone and comes off as contrived. It is a means to combat the general disconnect and unhappiness of most employees (see the 2.6 approval rating). In reality, it drives employees away because they know it is fake. A great attitude will take you far with this company, to the point you may find yourself in a position you are completely unqualified for just because you smile a lot. Great attitudes are overly stressed here because of the general poor attitude that exists among most due to the seat shop mentality of management. Great attitudes are important, but not more than experience and knowledge.
    Overall not a pleasant experience in my 5+ years there. Did meet some really good people, but that is par for most jobs. Turnover is very high as the company has trouble keeping people due to the general stresses of the job, mainly travel, and they do not care. Out with the old, in with the new until they push them to quit too, then all over again. Hard to work in that environment. Good company to use to your advantage to break into the industry, but not a good long term solution.

Advice to Management

It is a two way street. Having experienced working for you and several of your competitors, you are becoming a joke in the industry. You will end up one day with few willing to work for you. But that's ok right? Fresh recruits ready to be taken advantage of around every corner. They may not know what they are doing, but they travel!!! Carry on.

"Look beyond the surface"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Towson, MD

I worked at EMG Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a group of very smart, dedicated, and creative employees that work there. Most of the staff I worked with truly cared about the work and products they put out, and worked hard despite less than ideal circumstances. Flexible schedule helps, even though it's necessary for the long days and nights.

Cons

Unfortunately, much of what has been said about pay, hours, lack of meaningful communication, poor executive leadership, and quickly finding yourself on the outs is very true. Many employees brag about the hours they work, which is truly unhealthy across the board. Compensation does not match the work load and the benefits overall are lacking. The Executive Management team is too far removed from office and field staff to understand the issues, they often write them off and ignore them. The training in several departments is lacking in quality and many employees are thrown to wolves day 1, then written off if they do not succeed immediately. The executive team thinks throwing motivational quotes and being "rah-rah" during town halls and hugging people the few times they see them makes up for the neglect of the staff. There was a lot going on with the merger with QPM, but people on both sides failed to understand the why of it.

Advice to Management

Listen to the critiques here and that are given during exit interviews and make investments (which I know are very costly but critical) in making changes. Get to know the staff, but local and remote, and work with them on fixing things. Stop with the motivational stuff that is nothing more than noise...impact change!

"Never ends"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Northeast Center, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Northeast Center, NY

I have been working at EMG Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I genuinely like what the president of the company , Nestor, tries to create - a cozy family oriented work environment

Cons

But he doesn't listen to the field who tell him his senior people are no good and there he goes again no raises this year but a two day xmas party. Really ?

Advice to Management

Take stock of what you have who is loyal to you and regroup

EMG Corp Response

Oct 6, 2016 – President

I apologize for the delay in rolling out the salary increases. The salary increases will be occurring on November 1, 2016. The Holiday party for this year is on a single day (currently planned for... More

"A Work in Progress but needs to get serious about it"

Former Employee - Remote Worker Building Sciences in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Remote Worker Building Sciences in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Some divisions are working with tablet-based data collection so one can completely automate their field activity and spend less time actually writing reports. Lots of cool cloud-based data-base and facility planning projects are rolling out in the assessment space and EMG is way ahead of many of it's competitors in this regard. it has spent a great deal of time and effort streamlining some of the work. Some people there are truly working hard to develop an alternative work production model that might sidestep many of the current and persistent management weaknesses.

Cons

Most of the observations made by those making critical and negative comments are pretty much as I experienced EMG as well so there's no need to repeat. Management needs to take more responsibility for the field implementation details and stop throwing assessors under the bus. Many twisted backwards and silly 'protocols' only make matters worse. If people are treated and paid like adults, they will produce but when management seems to lack the skills and capacity to fix systemic problems with travel, scheduling, training, providing clear and un-contradictory communication of work requirements, proper communication overall - people stop caring and leave. Many promises made, much talk talked and little action. They can't get out of their own way.

Advice to Management

Let it go. Get outside professional management consulting because you lack the capacity to fix your company relying on the existing in-house personnel. You need to remove some key people who are impeding progress yet appear to be quite expert at making it seem as if they are indispensable. Hint: they aren't. The only way to make these critical reviews go away is to fix your company.

"Not great"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at EMG Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home. That's about it.

Cons

Over the few years I've been working here, it's been getting worse and worse. The company is expanding, though most of us have absolutely no idea what's going on. A monthly town hall meeting to talk in extremely vague terms does not really provide any insight into the company. Remote project managers are just left in the dark and excluded from any sort of meaningful discussion. Training is absurd. As a few before have mentioned, we are told to look at training videos in cornerstone. No time is actually provided for us to do this, so you need to do it on evenings or weekends for free. Multiple meetings have occurred to improve RQA process, and still feels like were being graded in high school. some PMs are kept churning out reports constantly, and never given an opportunity for growth or anything different. The work from home aspect is great, but you never have your schedule more than a week out, and often much less. This makes it impossible to have any sort of routine or life during the week. You could not even make a dinner plan because you never know when and where they will send you until a moments notice.

Advice to Management

Invest in face to face training and refreshers. You want report consistency? Teach everyone how to write a report. All that happens now is we are directed to look at videos on our own time, or lambasted for mistakes after the fact. This is a pretty basic concept, invest more in training. Pay more, provide opportunities for growth.

"Coworkers Awesome, Above Not so Much"

Former Employee - Client Delivery in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Client Delivery in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at EMG Corp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome coworkers. Each department has a family atmosphere. Laid back atmosphere, dress casual. Work at home. OT hours often in this department makes pay a little better. Under former ownership, this was a family, (although mid management was terrible)

Cons

--Pay is horrid.
    --a lot of rah rah from high above, but not much to back it up.
    --huge disconnect between high and lower employees, despite Town Hall meetings
    --things that should have been improved technical wise and system wise were not, while odd improvements were made (all of the lights except individual desk lamps were turned off)
    --advancement is non existent for those who would qualify for better incomes. (However, it IS a great place for a young person to grow through the system as long as s/he doesn't expect to earn enough to live on for many years.)

Advice to Management

--learn your employees' names. There's one exceptional person to this, and anyone within the company knows who that is. Otherwise, you can say hello every day to someone, and they look right past you. It's sad and demoralizing.
    --keep your political opinions to yourself. It felt violating and abusive to have new owner send an email telling people they should vote a certain way or company would go under from health care costs
    --If people express an interest in moving up or learning other things, give them a way to do it.
    --Pay. There is a huge gap between the grunts and others.

"Many reviews posted in one week, all showing good reviews?"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at EMG Corp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

So disorganized and chaotic you can't do enough fast enough

Cons

Management feels compelled to ask employees to post on GlassDoor to overcome all the bad reviews. Note the many many posts all made in a one week time by current employees. Obviously there's an effort to counter the negative reviews which based on my experience are very accurate.

Advice to Management

Manage and stop blaming it all on the Assessors and stop promoting incompetence.

EMG Corp Response

Oct 6, 2016 – President

That one was my fault! I did ask employees to provide their feedback on Glassdoor. I did not ask anyone to lie or make it artificially positive. There are nearly 600 employees at EMG, and I wanted... More

"All things considered- A good place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Owings Mills, MD

I have been working at EMG Corp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. You get to work with a team of highly motivated, dedicated, hardworking co-workers that strive to deliver the best to the clients. This is a tight knit community, individuals go out of the way to help each other- this is generally not seen in other places.
    2. You get to travel- travel can be stressful but you got to know how to make the best out of it. This job will take you the some of the weirdest as well as the most fun locations you have ever been- and all expenses paid!! If you work here, you need to have the travel bug in you.
    3. If you are in the head office- there is tons of free food, whenever employees come to the head office, the management makes sure that the lunch is catered..
    4. The new office space is great, having worked in the old office- there is a sea change in the employee morale and attitude towards coming to work
    5. The management is pretty lenient about “work from home” days, it understands that travel to work daily can be stressful and encourages individuals to telework
    6. Our President- I think he is amazing, he is constantly trying to infuse newer concepts for productivity and employee morale improvement into the company, he is approachable and responsive.
    7. Great holiday party- the recent merger with QPM , not only infused the company with a great talent but also made it slightly more cheerful place to work. The merger having been successful, the company did have a great two day Christmas party

Cons

1. We are growing rapidly- faster than what we think the company can handle
    2. Training, training, training- the firm needs to invest into employee training
    3. Long working hours
    4. Centralized scheduling can be stressful

Advice to Management

Invest in training your employees.
    Improve pay of your employees- EMG can't afford to loose good talent

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The best part of working for EMG is the flexibility. Report writing from wherever you are and times that work with your personal schedule. Travelling is a bonus for me, the site visits can range from a 1/2 day to 5 days depending on the project. I have travelled to many interesting locations around the country that I probably would not have seen otherwise. EMG is a great company to work for and I am fortunate to work with such great people and great clients.

Cons

I cannot complain about EMG, it has been nothing but a positive experience.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. I see the growth potential this company has and believe management is taking the proper steps to reach our company goals while keeping repeat clients happy and new clients coming back. Even though we work remotely from home offices, management has taken steps to bring the company together at functions such as trainings, team dinners, and holiday parties.