EMIS Health Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
EMIS Health CEO Chris Spencer
Chris Spencer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There's a fantastic work/life balance to be had at EMIS Health (in 6 reviews)

• Not much more positive to say about this company worked for them for 6 years if you need a starting point in IT then this is a good place to start (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The Senior management is a joke to be honest (in 8 reviews)

• Very cliquey atmosphere with a "face fits" mentality (in 6 reviews)

"A good company losing sight of what makes it great"

I have been working at EMIS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people. The people. The people.

Cons

Over the last ten years Emis have gone from a SME that valued it's employees, it had a family like feeling, and we were all in it together.
    Nowadays, due to acquisitions, new management structures, redundancies amd outsourcing it feels like the best people who drive our business forward have been forces out and management have lost touch with what made Emis great from the get go.

Advice to Management

Listen and value the guys who do the hard work, stop finding excuses to cut costs and corners, pay us fairly (the recent pay review was a sham, the new levels were applied fit to current salaries and not the other way round, pay reviews are non existent, I had to fight tooth and nail for a salary increase and only got a nominal increase after many requests (1st increase I had in 5yrs).

"Change needs to be swift"

I have been working at EMIS Health full-time

Pros

Flexible working hours. Good social scene.

Cons

Lost its way a bit recently

Advice to Management

Stick with a plan

"Growing pains, a bit naive, or something else?"

I worked at EMIS Health full-time

Pros

A relatively little heard of company with a strong heritage that often give’s people their first start within IT. Pleasant offices and location (as long as you drive a car), and what seems to be a genuine belief in what they are doing to try and make people’s lives better.

The majority of the staff who do the actual “getting their hands dirty” day-to-day work are extremely dedicated to what they do and try to create a friendly and welcoming environment.

Cons

EMIS Health used to be a fairly small, well focused company that did one thing and did it well with a good ethos, strong direction, and a high degree of customer engagement and co-operation. It has more recently gone down the “increase our presence” route and expanded into areas outside its traditional GP focused market. Whilst this has been great for the shareholders and investors, it has not gone down well for the way the company does it’s day-to-day work and the company is now beginning to pay the price for the poor implementation of that growth.

Its products are lacking the quality that used to be the companies trademark with a delivery practice that seems to consist of get it to market and fix it later. There is a seeming desire to make it capable of doing everything and anything and letting the overall experience of using it suffer as a result. Whereas when speaking to customers they would be happy with a few less features if the core product was solid, reliable, and could be relied on to do its job without issues, EMIS seems to be more concerned on whether it can have the latest new thing or has exactly the same features their competitors have.

There have been a lot of changes in the development teams that produce the software which has also contributed to a lot of the current issues in the company, most noticeably through a poor adopting of Agile practices (via 2 weeks training to make everyone agile…. but only the development teams… in a couple of the office…..) and a basic misunderstanding of what it entails (project managers that don’t actually get involved with the teams doing the work they just want progress updates, architecture done on the back of a beermat and never updated, happily accepting no customer involvement in design or feedback, no R+D on the impact introducing new features or architecture, etc.)

There used to be a running joke that EMIS never sacked anyone. Whilst this is not a bad thing and employee loyalty is something every company strives for, this has also led to issues and “career” workers within the company. . It has helped foster the impression of promotion through “if your face fits” simply because of the length of time people have worked there. Conversely it has also led to promotions because of the time spent there rather than ability. This is apparent in certain areas where the “EMIS way of doing things” cannot now be challenged or changed. It has also caused problems in that now there is a belief that 3 years spent their equals X role, 5 years equals Y role and even poorly skilled or performing staff are expecting a promotion simply for sticking with the company. This has ultimately led to something of a brain-drain where those who can do and are ambitious eventually leave - the recent restructuring being a prime example of this. Working in healthcare has a pull that online gambling never will have but everyone still has to pay the mortgage.

Advice to Management

Have a serious think about where you want the company to go and how to get there. There has been a massive amount of churn recently in management styles, growth through acquisitions, different offices, team structures and development processes. This has caused instability further down the line as there seems to be a constant change of faces and associated products by a mysterious executive board that no-one ever sees (and believe simply sit in London and makes business decisions based on monitoring the stock price).
    Get a grip on your software. The company seriously needs to decide if it’s going to resolve the issues it has with its products and the reputational damage that’s occurring or just carry on regardless in the hope that enough shiny new features and changes will keep the masses happy. The current crop of competition might not be up to that much, but if a serious player enters the market with a decent, reliable product that does 80% of what the customers want then EMIS could facing some tough years ahead.
    Communication in the company is frankly terrible with changes either simply not mentioned, such as people leaving and its left until people notice they are no longer around. Or it is the barest minimum with a lot of fluffy management speak about vision and having identified areas of pain and working on plans to resolve. What your staff want is concrete examples of what’s going to happen and how the changes will impact them.
    Without this, and what is happening at the moment, is an undercurrent of chaos within the company where the staff feel no real connection with the management teams or faith in their ability to know what needs doing and how to implement it. The recent re-structuring is a prime example of this, massively delayed implementation of not quite what was asked for. 90% of the communication and face-to-face conversations with staff is then pushed down to the lower management ranks to deal with while the senior management are mysteriously absent.

"Sr. Manager Operations"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chennai (India)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chennai (India)

I worked at EMIS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good work life balance , good insurance package , product development ,health care industry ,

Cons

nothing specific , overall a good company to work with

"Corrupt to the core"

I have been working at EMIS Health full-time

Pros

There's few good eggs. I've made a few good friends here. there are also a few very bright sparks who are fantastic at what they do (albeit neither praised nor rewarded for it).

Cons

I've seen some pretty remarkable things in this company. There’s a lot so I'll stick to what I deem to be the big stuff:

Bullying:
    I've seen Incompetence, bullying and being generally underhanded become the mark of a successful person here.
    If a manager doesn't like someone, I've seen them simply make that persons work life so miserable that they are forced to leave.
    I've seen a team leader throw their own manager under the bus so they are forced to resign and then take their job.

Nepotism:
    I've seen lots of nepotism. Preferential treatment is given to special friends and family members across most departments in this division (and by the looks of it, a number of other divisions too).
    I've heard about people failing interviews and then suddenly get in and rise to team leader once one of their friends got into an influential position. I've seen mates promote mates directly and I've seen bullying campaigns being launched on friends and family members' behalf.
    I've seen members of staff put in the effort and get mediocre scores in their appraisal while people who are mates with the director get great scores and land large bonuses as a result. I've seen good people bared down upon for minor infractions while the highly regarded get away with spending all day surfing the web or messing about on their phone. There was apparently an announcement of a big training budget but the only people who saw the benefit of that were the privileged few (the same few who are allowed to 'work' from home and get arbitrary promotions to new non-roles etc.).

General culture:
    I've seen a single department have the highest staff turnover I've ever seen in any department anywhere because their members are so stressed by the utterly toxic culture of blame, KPIs and clock watching fostered by their director, they couldn't bear the thought of staying. So much good talent has gone to waste this way.
    I've seen people get made redundant and then I've seen the company try to trick them into accepting a 'trial' for role so they don't have the pay the redundancy pay.
    I've seen countless cases of people making an honest mistake, and then desperately claw for someone else to blame and throw under the bus for fear of being made miserable by their director.
    I've seen genuine cases of discrimination in this day and age and in a company of this size too numerous to go into individually (it was even pointed out in an anonymous company survey but nothing was ever done about it. No investigation. No change). I've seen sexual harassment cases get swept under the carpet with the victim being told to keep quiet about it in the office for fear of upsetting the perpetrator (who, at this point I’m sure you'll not be surprised to know is still here).

To sum up:
    Want to know if someone's successful here? Find out how many colleagues they've made miserable or how much they have cost the company with their self-gratifying actions or look at who their mates are. Don't look at how hard they work or how good they are at what they do.

I'd love to say that I'm an edge case, only seeing the worst of the company but after reading these other reviews, I'm saddened to see that I'm not. This is the rancid culture of EMIS Health.

Advice to Management

Start listening to advice. And if someone in your department shows concern, try making at least the bare minimum effort to show that you actually care rather than making excuses. Read these reviews. It seems the rot exists across multiple divisions. Do it for the patients whose lives our products are supposed to be improving. I know I wouldn't want my healthcare software to be written by people who hate their job.

"Avoid Watford office if possible"

I have been working at EMIS Health full-time

Pros

You do not have to work very hard at all for months on end

Cons

No training or investment in staff.
    Used Bradford Factor for absence until very recently.
    Once you start you will not get any training, promotion or pay rise.
    Fire staff without warning.
    Expect you to work long hours, unpaid.
    Using ancient software, no investment.
    Company makes shed loads of money but does not share.
    Only friends of senior staff are promoted, no matter how awful they are.
    No job security, outsource what they can to Chennai.
    Haemorrhaging good staff.
    Just got rid of miserly bonus scheme, pay cuts all round.
    Only minimal bonuses available.

Advice to Management

There is not one competent manager that would listen to any advice.

"My Annus Horribillis In Rawdon"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at EMIS Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got paid every month.

Cons

A lack of industry standard tools and development practices.

An ageing code base and out of date technologies.

A ‘roll your own’ culture exists.

Want to use a industry standard ORM mapping tool, Entity Framework, nHibernate? No need when you can use a flawed in house implementation,
    Want to use a industry standard IOC container, such as windsor, ninject etc? No, guess what? They have their own, again, flawed version of one.
    Want to use an industry standard static analysis tool on your code? No, guess what? You’ve guessed it, they have developed their own flawed version.

Seeing the pattern?

This is happening because of one person responsible for single-handedly producing these in house abominations is empire building and stifling any chance of growth or improvement with the quality of the code or product.

Architects and team leaders who have risen from the ranks of junior support staff, to tester, to developer and then to team leaders or architects within a stupidly short space of time. This has resulted in senior members of staff who know nothing other than the “EMIS way” of doing things and lack the experience and exposure to good industry practice and architecture. These people form cliques and protect each others positions though underhand and questionable practices.

When raised to management, these clandestine practices were simple swept under the carpet or ignored.

I quickly realised, like others before and after me, it was a case of tow this lad’s line in deviant design or leave. Staying would have resulted in constant exposure to bad design and practice and a deterioration in my mental health, quite ironic when working for a healthcare solutions company.

Seriously, don’t work for this company, unless you’re about to be repossessed or lose everything you have. Even then, think twice about it, you deserve better

Mind you, you’d be lucky to be offered a job as most of the work is now being outsourced to India. Not quite sure that will improve quality of the product.

Advice to Management

Waste of time talking to management, they never listened. But, take a look at these reviews and seriously look back at the last couple of years and see if you can spot the obvious problem?

"What a shame!"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at EMIS Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

In the good old days it was great! and everyone had that motivation to work hard and do the best for the company.

Cons

It was a big mistake hiring the new MD. The Senior management is a joke to be honest. All the bright and highly skilled people have left - it will take EMIS decades to replace that workforce!!!!

Advice to Management

Scrap the current Senior management team and start fresh. That's the only way you can get the company back on track to its original glory. If you don't, then this company will go bust sooner than you think!!!

"Something rotten within"

Current Employee - Training Consultant in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at EMIS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The opportunity to meet some of the best health professionals on the planet and give them the chance to really sculpt their clinical software. The majority of staff want to do well, succeed and provide the best possible platform for their customers.

Cons

A perceived lack of empathy towards the employees remaining after recent restructuring, providing them with little or no information as to their new roles even now, over half a month after the redundancies were completed. Customers being drip-fed information about their former account managers and the restructure, with only a brief update from HQ emailed recently. The cliques and people responsible for 'keeping their mates' in the good jobs whilst the qualified get bumped off the friends list is shocking. I thought it was just bad in the field teams but to read the reviews that it's rampant in many departments is very sad and cannot all be tales from disgruntled ex-employees either. In spite of denial from the MD, the influx of workers from Chennai would strongly suggest that out-sourcing is on the cards and may well extend to training and customer management teams. That would be a massive nail in the coffin for the business, as the customers know the lack of visible local support from the likes of TPP and INPS puts EMIS streets ahead in terms of customer service.

Advice to Management

My advice would be: achieve your aims - if you truly want to restructure to be the very best, consider the long list of reviews that mention the cliques that contain well meaning people, who are however unqualified, to lead a team of specialists. This is making some departments less efficient by therefore never allowing anyone outside the clique to voice their opinion (hence so many anonymous reviews on these types of website). If the un-qalified and under-talented do remain at the helm of their various ships, have them all pointing the same direction on the same sea and ensure that their Captaincy is expected to be much improved. A ship where the Captain takes no advice from his/her first mate and crew can expect mutiny. Consider proper team leadership courses for staff - EMIS have never promoted further on-the-job qualifications other than NVQs which have to be done in staff's own time. The best programmer may not make the best leader. Knowing how to code and develop software is not the same as keeping people on the right course, getting people to focus or motivating them. Above all else, please take each feedback as genuinely wanting EMIS to be a better place to work for and consider how you can learn from each of the comments made. If there's worry about out-sourcing, quash it quickly if it's nothing but rumour. If remaining staff are feeling undervalued, make it a priority (not mid May) to address all staff and tell them how valued they are (and not simply because there's nobody else available - that doesn't make someone valuable). If you expect those on new pay structures and loyal enough to remain with the company when their friends are leaving in droves, then ensure they know what is expected and what a pay increase can result from (what hard work, rather than whether their line manager likes them, can achieve).

"Once shone bright, but now dwindling away"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Leeds, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Leeds, England (UK)

I worked at EMIS Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people you work with day to day are excellent. There is a kitchen serving expensive but good food on site. Pool table and TV room.

Cons

Everything else.

The moral and spirit of the company have disappeared, the customers are following suit. The management should be gone, but aren't. Many jobs are going to India across all departments.

Staff asked for a Pay Review because they were being paid so low.. After nearly 3 years (of consulting with a paid consultancy) it was determined that the best way to make it fair was to take the car allowance, and holiday days away from long term employees, give more holiday days to new hires who have no loyalty, and to increase the pay of the most useless employees, whilst simultaneously making redundancies and giving zero pay increases to the better (and therefore already higher earning) staff.

No wonder most of the people around have been here less than 4 years nowadays. Senior management is the same, all new hires who have nothing in common with the people who ran the company in the early days.

Needless to say all the good staff who remained, have or are now like me in the process of leaving.

A total shambles.

Advice to Management

Management don't listen to advice. Plenty of people have tried to give them some.