EMMES Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Anne S. Lindblad

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Middle and upper management micromanage your work (in 4 reviews)

• The company has done its best to take everything interesting out of the clinical trial formula (in 3 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Supervisor"

I have been working at EMMES Corporation full-time

Pros

growing company with new opportunities along the way

Cons

growing from a small business to a large business is a healthy challenge

2. "Poor management, but a great place to get experience."

I worked at EMMES Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Proximity to Rockville Metro and bus transportation. Proximity to Rockville Square. Health insurance benefits are good. Casual dress work environment. Additional office opened up in Frederick, MD.

Cons

Deep down I believe Emmes is a good company and the products it offers to its clients are good. However, if you work at the Rockville office you will probably run into the following types of issues:
    NEPOTISM: there are tons of people who are related to each other in this company!!! This has been problematic for employees who get caught in the middle of family fights.
    POOR WORK-LIFE BALANCE: It's not unheard of for employees to be handed more projects than they can manage and it can create arguments between you and your PI (who wants to bid you on yet more projects). The company is growing more quickly than some employees can deal with.

Advice to Management

My advice to management: the work your employees do day in and day out can be adversely affected by permanent fixtures who have no need to change their management style or drive to improve the employee-supervisor work relationship. The downside is that you lose brilliant minds who have something to offer Emmes as it continues to grow and reach new heights.

"Need to change their management structure.."

I worked at EMMES Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and work/life balance culture

Cons

There can be a mix of team leads, project managers, directors, vice presidents within the same project - and it can get very confusing when working on a day to day basis in terms of what your tasks and goals are. You have to find out yourself on where to get answers and not sure who to listen to in the end. They also need to change their decision making process when it comes to employees and their current positions or changing positions within the company. It isn't fair for one person to make a certain decision for an employee when they haven't worked with the particular individual on a day to day basis. Also, mind you, this isn't your typical CRO. This is a company founded by statisticians and stick to old fashion processes and tend to stay away from innovation and open minded ideas. They are far behind from how CROs are trending today. Regardless of how much research experience you have - they will not value it. HR also is horrible. They do not respond to e-mails or phone calls in a timely fashion. This company also praises for employees who either have a PhD, MD or Masters. If you have anything below that - good luck with getting respect.

Advice to Management

Change the the way Management works and listen to your employees.

"Food resume padding"

I have been working at EMMES Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As many have said, this is a good place to gain experience. Co-workers are typically friendly and willing to help. Never feel obligated to work more than an 8 hour day here. Office is close to the metro.

Cons

The most common complaint heard around the office is "underpaid," possibly due to having primarily government (NIH) contracts rather than pharmaceuticals. Initial training can feel condescending and like you have never had a job before, regardless of your prior experience. There is no consistency/standardization between projects so everyone has different processes and uses different systems. The company's in-house systems frequently have issues and are inefficient but the company does not want to lose the contract so they force us to continue to use poorly designed software. Employee website is horrible to navigate. PTO and sick days are accrued and there are fewer holidays than I've ever had at previous jobs.

Advice to Management

Standardize some processes across projects, re-evaluate the pay scale, get new software.

"A better experience than most of these reviews"

Current Employee - Data Manager/Protocol Monitor in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Data Manager/Protocol Monitor in Frederick, MD

I have been working at EMMES Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job itself can be interesting or excruciatingly dull, depending on your project and how far along it is. Be prepared for a lot of QC, auditing, change documentation, and SOP adherence.
    Work-life balance has been great. I've never been expected or asked to stay late - I've only done it a few times because I wanted to get something done. Never had leave requests denied. Everyone is friendly and professional - office drama is basically non-existent.
    Telework available 1 day/week after 6-12 months, with the eventual possibility of 100% remote work - my supervisor works from home full-time out of state.
    Maybe I got lucky, or maybe these other reviewers are not doing as good a job as they think, but I worked hard my first year and got almost a 7% raise. Mileage may vary depending on what project you work on.
    While the medical copays are a little higher than average, the emergency and family planning benefits are excellent. Coinsurance after the (fairly low) deductible is 100%.
    The retirement plan is VERY generous, to the point where I haven't felt the need to contribute to it on my own and am not worried about my retirement.
    The company seems to value its people, and places a high emphasis on diversity, furthering education, and job mobility. In one year I've worked with people from every continent, with educations ranging from high school to MD/PhD. Company is growing rapidly.

Cons

Since the company's client base is so wide and varied, your experience here will vary GREATLY depending on which project you work with. I've always been able to just work my 8 hours and go home since I'm on a relatively small project, but I know some people have had to spend weeks at a time working 12 hour shifts because of the nature of their project.
    Paid vacation is non-negotiable 3 weeks, only increasing by 1-2 days once you've been with the company for 10 years. There's also 7 days sick leave, 2 floating holidays and 9 federal holidays though, so it could be worse.

Advice to Management

Look across all projects to identify and implement trends and practices which lead to happy teams. Consider increasing paid leave incentives. Make sure project directors aren't insulated and can spend time with their operational staff to understand them and the challenges they face.

"Associate Programmer/Analyst"

Current Employee - Associate Programmer/Analyst in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Associate Programmer/Analyst in Rockville, MD

I have been working at EMMES Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work culture is pretty awesome, people here willingly help you. Great opportunity to develop yourself.

Cons

At times the work load is too much but everything is manageable if you're prepared in advance.

Advice to Management

The new hire training program has a room for improvement.

"Average"

I have been working at EMMES Corporation full-time

Pros

Many projects, flexible hours, 3% 401K match fully vested

Cons

Every project does things differently. I have never seen a company moving people to different offices so often. The office will not be closed no matter how many feet of snow we got.

"Good Company, Ok Job"

Former Employee - Protocol Specialist in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Protocol Specialist in Rockville, MD

I worked at EMMES Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Employer seems to care about employees
    Excellent training and growth opportunities

Cons

Frankly, the protocol specialist role is boring. While the trials being conducted can be on the cutting edge of technology, clinical trial management is geared towards ensuring these trials are conducted ethically and according to regulations - in other words maintaining the status quo. It's a very necessary role in society, just not one that is suited to everyone. Workflow can move at snails pace, except at the beginning or end of a trial.

"Highs and Lows"

Current Employee - QA Specialist in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - QA Specialist in Rockville, MD

I have been working at EMMES Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company seems to value work/life balance, and my manager makes a concerted effort to ensure her team takes time to take care of themselves, despite the high pressure environment.

Your opportunities are what you make of them. Plenty of management are academic in nature, so it's really on employees to make the most of their career and take charge of their learning and training. Personally, I like the opportunity to pair with my coworkers in crosstraining, but you really have to take the initiative, most management isn't going to goad you into action.

The retirement program is the most generous I've seen, especially when I compare it to much more profitable "big pharma" and larger CROs I've worked for previously.

Tuition reimbursement is excellent, and the company and my manager emphasize continued learning/improvement.

The company is growing rapidly! Somewhere near 250 employees when I started and well over 600 now! A recent expansion to Frederick, MD made the commute minutes versus hours for 40+ employees, and the company is already planning an expansion at the site.

Cons

Negotiate for the highest salary at the time of your final interview. Despite being a profitable company with a robust range of projects in industry and government, even brief comparisons on Glassdoor and Google show salaries are lower than average, and in my experience the performance increases are modest to outright lousy even for employees whom exceed expectations. Supposedly the HR team completed a focused review of salaries, but it appears to have made little difference to most employees outside of the ScD and PhD levels. Turnover is a direct result of competitors and industry roles offering more money for the same or more engaging work. The salary ranges are very broad, so the potential for higher earning is there, but placement within that scale seems arbitrary.

High turnover is a problem with middle and entry-level staff. The company likes to brag to sponsors/clients about turnover for project staff, but what they're talking about are Project Management and executives. I've observed several entire teams of data managers leave the company because they're actively exploring opportunities for advancement, and putting it simply, in a structured clinical trials management company, opportunities are limited for young professionals. In many cases, a single Data Manager, Protocol Specialist, or Monitor are often assigned to 2-3 projects, which places a lot of stress on the new employees while middle and upper management manage via email and memos...some are REALLY engaged, but as with many companies there are more micromanagers and more seemingly disaffected managers (usually promoted due to longevity) whom are simply going through the motions.

A management role isn't necessarily a position earned by the ability to manage people or a project, but rather seniority. In some cases, it's very clear that managers are managers simply because they have an advanced degree or, more likely, that they've been there for a decade or more. Most project management/leaders are Statisticians, and some just don't have the soft skills to actively manage their project staff. They're very capable of executing clinical trial management, but aren't necessarily interested in staff development, continuous improvement, or the concept of teamwork. It shows in turnover, and there's a large age gap between newer (millenial) hires and project management...If you're Gen X or Gen Y, you're a unicorn.

The company is also woefully inadequate at adopting new technology solutions to increase the efficiency of the company. While the Advantage eClinical suite is excellent, other company-infrastructure based programs are just now being investigated at the advent of their 40th anniversary.

HR employs some 20+ employees, with 3 employees replacing 1 departure and not executing the job nearly as well. Support staff, e.g., Facilities, are almost criminally understaffed, and some departments/projects are bloated. A recent employee was recently counseled for streaming TV on her computer for 3 days straight because no one in the department bothered to engage her and train her on job tasks.

Advice to Management

The CEO and Executive VPs are engaged, and need to take a long, hard look at their immediate managers. The passion is there, but the opportunities to learn, grow and advance from entry level positions are stymied by middle management. In many cases the projects are often run by unsung heroes with less than 3 years with the company, particularly Data Managers, while their supervisors or Project Managers won't accept responsibility or are incapable of managingr regulatory requirements, audit preparedness, client satisfaction, and development opportunies.

10. "Not bad, but not great for software"

I have been working at EMMES Corporation full-time

Pros

The people are nice, the hours are pretty flexible, the work is not challenging.

Cons

Work is feast or famine, the work is not challenging (can be a pro or con).

Advice to Management

Work on team dynamics more.