EMP Museum Reviews | Glassdoor

Christina Orr-Cahall

1. "Security Officer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at EMP Museum part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting and diverse people from all walks of life.

Cons

Long shifts with nothing much happening.

2. "Corporate Alliances Manager"

Pros

Interesting projects, passionate people, decent perks

Cons

Poor leadership and oversight by parent company Vulcan

Advice to Management

Let museum leadership have autonomy

3. "No growth potential. Stay away."

Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

Most coworkers are great.
    Wear all black jeans and shoes

Cons

Narely any hours are given to work. Part time position is never given, let alone a full time position. This is why only college kids or recent graduates work here. Many late night shifts are given then you are expected to open the next day. Even if you have the qualifications they won't choose you to move up in the company. Management would rather their friends who have been there longer with no bachelor degree. Management doesn't get along with each other. No benefits to stay. This applies to all departments.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to be more involved in how departments are hiring and based on what.

"Enigineering Technician"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Seattle, WA

I worked at EMP Museum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun place to work. Lots of entertaining events and exhibits to be involved with. Talented exhibits crew great to work with.

Cons

Engineering is understaffed. Pay is poor and noone ever wants to talk about raises. A facility of this caliber should really pay whatever is necessary to hire and retain superior talent for engineering - non-profit or not. Apparently, engineering and IT employees were staffed and paid a bit too lavishly in the past so a correction was made...or should I say " gigantic over-correction". Some people who survived the "Mass Cleansing" are still terrified they'll lose their job at any moment and given what most of them are paid, that wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen to them.

Advice to Management

Middle Management - Raise is not a 4 letter word. Upper Management - If one of your "skilled" employees make in a year close to what you pull in in a month, maybe your labor budget figures need to be revisited.

6. "Great place and tons of creativity"

Former Employee - Design Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Design Intern in Seattle, WA

Pros

This is a great place to intern. I interned here during college and it was a great place to learn about exhibit design.

Cons

Since I was an intern I was only part time but I know full time staff do not have very high salaries.

Advice to Management

Hire more designers! I would love to come backs d work there now.

"Fun but hard and unfair"

Current Employee - Visitor Services Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Visitor Services Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at EMP Museum part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun being around music related stuff, getting to meet interesting people (celebrities/ect), good location and fun co-workers.

Cons

As a Visitor Service Rep you are treated badly, paid very low and not respected. Required double shifts, not allowed to sit down for hours on end and a VERY annoying gossipy culture. No room to grow and management unwilling to work with you on schedules or employee requests.

"Great content, great people, if it's ok that you make a little less than average"

I worked at EMP Museum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The title says it all - there are not many other places in Seattle (or elsewhere for that matter) where you have the opportunity to work on a variety of subject matter, or with a great set of coworkers like the EMP.

Cons

While I was working there, I learned and grew as a employee tremendously. However, there was a very clear ceiling (both in career and salary), and if I wanted to move past it, I would need to leave. The organization attracts great people, but they all leave because there is only so far you can go there.

"Best Place Ever"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at EMP Museum full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At EMP, I'm surrounded by people who share a love of the content of the museum, including Music, Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy, Comic-Books, Video Games, etc. etc. etc.

Cons

Not a Con, but a challenge: Like most non-profit Arts & Culture institutions. We've always got to figure out how to remain financially sustainable.

Advice to Management

Never underestimate the power of staff that deeply cares about what we do.

"Dreadful place to work"

I worked at EMP Museum full-time

Pros

museum technicians and visitor services. some interesting technology but most of that comes from the partners who they contract to make the technology.

Cons

arrogant, annoying IT staff. CTO who doesn't listen or care. Producer with no backbone. everyone considers the place a joke. constant demoralizing chatter from most teams. no job security. changes in management constantly. lay offs constantly.

Advice to Management

Bring in better management rather than let the CTO silently take over the whole organization. Get rid of arrogant, know-it-all, yes man IT guys who are in the CTO's pocket.

11. "Working on the administrative side of EMP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at EMP Museum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The colleagues are terrific. They have a lot of social events and the people are also artistic. The work is hardly eveer boring as there are lots of different things to work on at different times.

Cons

Hard to move forward as higher ups including the CEO seems to change every other year. Management is either off hands but somewhat clueless or micromanagy anf overbearing.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire to do the job they are hired to do. Hire the best people for the job and pay them accordingly.