EMP Museum Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 2, 2017

Christina Orr-Cahall
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Working on the administrative side of EMP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at EMP Museum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The colleagues are terrific. They have a lot of social events and the people are also artistic. The work is hardly eveer boring as there are lots of different things to work on at different times.

Cons

Hard to move forward as higher ups including the CEO seems to change every other year. Management is either off hands but somewhat clueless or micromanagy anf overbearing.

Advice to Management

Trust the people you hire to do the job they are hired to do. Hire the best people for the job and pay them accordingly.

"Visitor Services - Fun job with little personal benefit"

Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at EMP Museum part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was a Visitor Services Representative for a little over a year. My love for the arts brought me to this job, and it is was lovely being surrounded by music in a museum setting. The management were actually very nice and amiable. They were flexible with my personal schedule and needs. They seemed to genuinely care about their employees. It was ultimately a fun job and my co-workers were mostly pretty awesome - like-minded creative types. It wasn't the managers I had a problem with, it was the whole system and policies in which they operated.

Cons

I ultimately wouldn't recommend this job if you are looking for an opportunity for advancement. When I applied for the job, I had hopes that I could move upwards in the company given my skills and background, but that certainly didn't happen to me, and it certainly didn't happen with my co-workers. Most of my co-workers had similar aspirations, but eventually gave up and either quit or stayed on until they found something better elsewhere.

Ultimately, this is a job that is based on a model of expected high turn-over. Workers are hired yearly for a mostly short span, and they inevitable drop pout because of the low pay and lack of any benefits. Very few Visitor Services Representatives had any kind of health benefits, hours were generally unstable and you were often expected to work double-shifts and then come in the next day to work some more.

This job is ideal for young people, in college or still under their parents roof.

Advice to Management

At least pay the VSRs more, if you're aren't going to give them health benefits, especially in accordance with Washington State's minimum wage, and King County's general cost of living.

3. "Corporate Alliances Manager"

Pros

Interesting projects, passionate people, decent perks

Cons

Poor leadership and oversight by parent company Vulcan

Advice to Management

Let museum leadership have autonomy

"Great place, not lots of opportunity"

Pros

EMP hires lots of fun, creative and hard working people. Benefits are great and time off is flexible. Management styles vary.

Cons

Management doesn't guide all departments to guide employees to work in a coordinated fashion with a shared vision for the company.

Advice to Management

Put more effort into making all department work in a streamlined fashion. To accomplish this, take drastic steps to improve internal communication.