EMSL Analytical 157 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peter Frasca

Pros
  • Some what flexible schedule, I was able to come in a little earlier or later than my scheduled time (in 23 reviews)

• Flexible hours sometimes, a ton of overtime - unfortunately the only way you make any money (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • All of upper management is related to one another or married in so no point in complaining (in 21 reviews)

• Maybe if our manager actually came around he would have seen our hard work (in 16 reviews)

1. "Stable, good atmosphere"

I have been working at EMSL Analytical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good company to be with if you work hard and have excellent ethics in what you do. Generous vacation time, very casual attire, too casual even. No forced overtime to my knowledge.

Cons

Pay is generally a little less than what you get from a competitor. No distinction from the hard working employee and lazy employee next to you. You might have to wait years for a bonus. Some management seems a bit disassociated from what is actually happening in the lab.

Advice to Management

Identify and reward hard working employees who would bend over backward for your company, the employees who care about the client and their results. Not the employees who are just there to do the minimum.

"A good place to learn the hard way what to look for in an employer."

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cinnaminson, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Cinnaminson, NJ

I worked at EMSL Analytical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people, and some managers, depending on the group you work for. If you want to you can learn a lot and use it to get a better job. Flexibility is always an option here. You will learn what you need to look for at your next employer.

Cons

Terrible pay, benifits are a joke, management is not interested in promoting qualified people who can think for themselves. They only want yes men around them, and want to prove they are the smartest people in the room. Management takes care of their family and kids, which would be fine but the disparity between how they are treated and benifits they receive verses employees is beyond belief it would be better to just pay them to stay home and not be seen or constantly have anagment negative impact on the company and actual employees that work there.

The management and owner are horribly out of touch on how to manage and motivate their employees, they see employees a negative assets that they have to deal with and resent them for it. And as such raises and promotions are almost non-existent and what you get if you are promoted is normally 1-2% even for promotions.

Advice to Management

It has been said here before, invest in your employees and take care of them like they actually mean something. In some cases you do actually hire intelligent people find them and work to keep them, even if they disagree with you. Look to move these people up into higher positions. Tell the family members to stay home, and hire or promote people who have degrees and actual experience in the business and lab spaces. The company will be much better off for it.

"EMSL Company review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sun City, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sun City, AZ

I worked at EMSL Analytical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

EMSL is a fairly well organized business, with emphasis on treating science as a business. The main objective of EMSL Inc, is to keep costs, both for the company and the customer as low as possible

Cons

To meet the objectives above-mentioned sacrifices are made, often times this is done by lazing QA standards and being reactive to audits rather than proaxtive.

Advice to Management

The non compete contract needs to be done away with. Often times the only people willing to accept such a contract agreement are disparate. Those who aren't and are terminated under the at will cause are soon to become disparate.

"Analyst"

I have been working at EMSL Analytical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many . Flexible hours sometimes, a ton of overtime - unfortunately the only way you make any money. If you are lucky you can make some friends.

Cons

Let's see - lower then average pay for skilled employees whom almost all hold degrees, NO 401k match, health insurance rates are so high and plans are just OK, the analyst starting rate has been the same for many years regardless of how high the cost of living has become, new programs only cater to new employees - people who have been here long or make what upper management thinks is "already enough" will receive 0-2% yearly increases. Regardless of your position or years of work you get a Christmas bonus of $25 which doesn't even get you a tank of gas . The turnover is so high because better opportunities are out there with better pay and better benefits.

Advice to Management

Stop asking employees "what would make them happy" or other fake questions - you know the answers. Offer real benefits, increase everyone's pay, think about giving a yearly bonus based on years of service, stop catering to new employees and reward years of service instead.

"Good Starting job but not for career"

Former Employee - Lab Technician
    Former Employee - Lab Technician

I worked at EMSL Analytical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are great and friendly which is one of the reasons I'm currently still working here

Cons

Very little room for promotion and even if you get a promotion or change in position, they expect you to do both your previous position and your new position. Pay is very little and expectations are very high.

Advice to Management

I URGE you to READ these comments about your company and take ACTION! Increase your employees pay and allow pay for overtime during the holidays because we all know it gets extremely busy during the holidays and your employees will actually be willing to keep up with the demands and work the overtime. If this doesn't happen soon, you will constantly see new faces everyday because employees are going to quit and you will have to hire people to fill the positions

7. "Terrible company to work for - Do not work here!!!"

Former Employee - Analyst in Hell, MI
    Former Employee - Analyst in Hell, MI

I worked at EMSL Analytical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn a lot on your own because they will provide you with minimal training and wonder why you are not as fast as people who have been there for years.

It is a good place to get experience so you can find a new job somewhere else where you will be treated with respect, dignity and paid a fair wage

Measly $25 Christmas bonus per employee even though the company makes millions. Thanks - I can buy some Kraft dinner and Hot Dogs and cover my gas to the grocery store.

would give 0 out of 5 stars if I could.

Cons

Read the negative reviews here. They are ALL TRUE. The positive ones are likely written by the owners family. CEO had to ask employees to write positive reviews on glassdoor in 2016 because former employees kept posting the truth.

-Health Insurance is a joke. Unaffordable to most.
    -Terrible & unsafe working conditions. You WILL inhale asbestos during your time there. They will do the minimum to cover themselves legally. No actual care for the health and well being of the employees.
    -You will get talked about behind your back by management about your personal life not related to your work performance.
    -All of upper management is related to one another or married in so no point in complaining.

Advice to Management

Despite what you think - everyone wants out. That is why your turnover rate is so high. Take a real look at why people leave your company and post the truth on Glassdoor. 100+ negative reviews don't lie. You are fooling nobody when you write positive reviews yourself.

"High Demanding Job, Not Enough Pay."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at EMSL Analytical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great job to start with right out of college. You meet some really bright people who can achieve much more than working for this company. As an administrative assistant you're able to network with companies that work in this industry which is perfect for anyone who's patient enough to see an opportunity and seize it. Also, you're able to get away with wearing almost anything, as long as you don't wear shorts or flip flops you're good.

Cons

Alright, where do I begin...
    First and foremost, the pay was horrendous. The amount of work you're expected to do and the ridiculous demands of the clients, it's just not worth it. I was given a non-negotiated salary of $13/hr. I was talking to another employee in a different department that makes $14/hr (refraining from stating which dept they work for as it can stir the pot) which I'm glad they brought up because even though the admin staff aren't analyst, we are the first people clients speak with regarding anything with the lab. We are the liaison between clients and the lab and the reason why there is communication throughout the lab.

Secondly, the expectation to finish the workload that's given to you in a days time is not possible. You're slammed with samples to login while catering to clients demands. Although at the lab I worked for, there was 3 of us, I felt that we weren't fully staff to meet all the demands of the clients and the lab.

Third, the benefits that are offered are insane. For health insurance, you have to pay $400/month for a insurance deductible of $6000, no thanks. I'd rather sign up with the healthcare exchange in which I did. The first year you work, you get 5 paid vacation days plus 2 paid holidays, sounds nice, but these "vacation days" are your sick days as well, so you must use them wisely.

Which brings me to my next point, this company will turn their back on their employees even if they're hard workers. Sales reps and managers will reprimand the employees for some of the smallest things. It really goes to show, you're always disposable at the companies will. I think that's something important to carry with you any job you go too.

TL;DR
    They pay too little, benefits suck, you get screwed over.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, there's a reason why they're writing on this website about you. They want other people to pursue better opportunities. Almost everyone can agree with me that your benefits suck, fix it. Pay your admin a couple more bucks an hour, you can afford it. They're the people that will keep your clients happy. Stop emailing the company pictures of you fishing. They're busy working. Lastly, please don't email the company asking them to write a great review for your company, because you'll just be filling with website with fluff.

"Do not work here!"

Former Employee - Lab Manager
    Former Employee - Lab Manager

I worked at EMSL Analytical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not many. Great coworkers in many branch labs who are unappreciated

Cons

Everything. Management is exceptionally poor, nepotism is rampant, they prefer women not to be in management roles, overtime is forced, workload is impossible to get done, no raises, health, vacation and 401k are all jokes. I left the company and work for a competitor and am making almost double with bosses that appreciate me. Avoid this company at all costs. I heard from a current employee that the owner sent a mass email in may 2016 asking employees to write fake 5 staff reviews on here to up the companies rating.

Advice to Management

Turn the company over to people who care about the employees and more than cash in their pockets.

"Fix From The Ground Up"

Current Employee - Lab Manager in Cinnaminson, NJ
    Current Employee - Lab Manager in Cinnaminson, NJ

I have been working at EMSL Analytical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent coworkers
    Relaxed dress code

Cons

This advice is for all of the miserable employees:

When your audits come around, save/ print all of your emails to give to the auditor when s/he asks if there are any problems. That means, if you've ever had to fix equipment you weren't qualified or comfortable fixing, if you know you were improperly trained to where it affects accuracy, if you've asked for additional workers because you're understaffed, if you frequently go over the recommended number of samples because you're overworked, etc...
    This is the ONLY way we will get things done- by involving the government when corporate gives us the runaround. Sing. Like. A. Canary. This will not only give us what we need, it will make work more bearable by putting all of the pressure back on corporate.

Also, don't overwhelm yourself. Why crank out the work, if they're not willing to mirror that in your paycheck? Let your workload reflect your pay. In lay men's terms, get within the recommended range, but slow down :)

Complaining to corporate obviously hasn't done much, so take the initiative by remembering that you have more influence than you believe.

Advice to Management

Get ready for a storm.

"DON'T."

I worked at EMSL Analytical (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, vacation days accrue quickly if you stay for a couple years.

Cons

No sick time or personal time, vacation days are all you get. If you're sick or if it snows, you're using your own vacation time.
    Management does not value its employees Working there is stressful, the morale is very low among employees across all departments. You are expected to do a monumental amount of work with minimal compensation. Raises are once a year and 2% at BEST - you might not get a raise at all, and you definitely won't get a performance review. Holiday bonus is $25 and there are no other bonuses to speak of, no profit sharing, no company picnics or holiday parties. If you work too much overtime, they will put a stop to it.
    If the company wants to give a job to one of their kids or one of their friends, they will hire them and then fire YOU. On the other hand, you are expected to be grateful for your job and if you resign to work elsewhere, they take it personally. You will be bad mouthed (behind your back to other employees) and treated poorly until you leave, unless they fire you before your two weeks is up.
    There is no real advancement there. Most of the highest level management positions and department heads are given to family members or people that marry into the family.
    The work environment is filthy. There is no real cleaning except for emptying trash cans. New employees are shown to dusty, dirty cubicles with crusty,broken office chairs covered in stains. They have to clean it themselves and get to work. The employee bathrooms are disgusting - the same grime was stuck to the walls and the floor for several months.
    Benefits are very expensive and the plans are terrible. 401K is also terrible. Most people can't afford the health insurance, which is probably a big reason why so many people quit.
    Overall, it is a very strange and unprofessional culture.

Advice to Management

Stop telling your employees how great your company is - prove it. If you pay people what they deserve you won't have such a high turnover rate. No one is going to stick around for a $0.40 increase per year.