EPG Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1.9
Randy Palmer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Decent Consulting Firm"

Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at EPG (More than a year)

Pros

Dynamic projects
    Lots of senior staff to learn from
    Opportunities to conduct tasks that wouldn't be offered at a larger firm.

Cons

HQ is hectic
    Satellite offices are "on their own" primarily.

"Okay...But not great"

Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Environmental Planner in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at EPG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the employees are great people and really care about their roes and their co-workers. Insurance benefits were pretty good for a small business. Other benefits were comperable.

Cons

There were two major challenges working here. Little to no room at all for advancement and the principals were very difficult to work for. Many good employees left because they just got tired on the nonsense. Too many chiefs and not enough indians. One principal might tell you to do one thing, and then another may tell you to do another. If you can "go with the flow" it's not too difficult. I won't get into the ethics of the principals, but I'm happy I've moved on.

Advice to Management

Transparency is key. Telling your employees one thing in regards to the business, when they see otherwise, isn't a good way to retain quality employees.

"It's cute until you get fired..."

I worked at EPG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When they wanted to, management was generous to employees through parties, teambuilding events, etc. We had up-to-date equipment and a nice office. For the most part, people were pretty nice.

Cons

I have worked in alot of varied environments, and I have never worked for company that fired more people during my employment. With a staff of less than 100 people, I think 14 were fired over a three year period, one every few months, suddenly. At one point, three gay employees were fired consecutively within months of each other.

Advice to Management

Five Principles:
    Don't perpetuate unsavory racial stereotypes.
    Save decision making for those that can handle it.
    Homophobia eventually is worse for the homophobic.
    Just because someone is related to you does not mean that they are competent, trustworthy, fair or intelligent.
    If you want to own a successful business, be present and try to make people actually like you.

"Employees are disposable, management systems poorly planned, managers not trained to be managers."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at EPG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits were adequate. Flexibility of hours.

Cons

Paternal, mechanistic view of people and corporate system. They place no value on people, emphasize bringing in work constantly, but give no time to do it. Impossible situation. Review systems are inadequate and disorganized. Bids are all overpriced because they cannot manage properly and cannot see how to be efficient.

Advice to Management

UT Principals: Understand the value and ideas that employees bring to the table. Trust your employees. Be flexible. Learn a thing or two about management. Strive to be a better company, not just a better product; it will make your company better. Or just keep doing what you are doing and create a worse reputation for yourself. And it does get worse every day.

"I arrived energized with a can-do attitude, but departed with my hands tied."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Benefits package is good
    Salaries are competitive
    Paid time off
    The company has a lot of potential

Cons

Important information was communicated primarily through staff chatter. Upper management comprises several principals/industry professionals who have not sought to improve their skills as managers–no management classes, seminars, or professional enhancement/education were offered or recommended to middle managers either. Office staff members were inconsiderate about conversations and laughter in and around cubicles and in the halls and there were many interruptions, which made working after hours, at home, or on the weekends necessary. Deadlines were not enforced, thus arbitrary. Budgets were only disclosed to support staff when exceeded.

Advice to Management

Support and respect the efforts of the professionals you hired. Proactively seek to improve your leadership skills. Study current people- and business-managing philosophies through books, classes, and management seminars. Encourage and enforce a more professional office culture.

"Fair Warning to Applicants considering this Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

There are plenty of good people here, including some managers. They are good at what they do and ethical, so they are in the same boat as me (see below). The work we get is interesting and has been coming in pretty solid, so we have enough to do. It is less corporate than my last company.

Cons

This company has several other locations, and I can only speak to the Phoenix office (headquarters) where I am currently employed, though I hear that the problems we have in Phoenix apply throughout the company. There is an exodus underway at this office, which will result in openings, so this is fair warning for the highly-skilled professionals who may be doing their research rather than taking their interview at face value, as I did. This office is what is known in the HR industry as 'toxic', meaning that none of the normal, logical rules apply to the way they do business and treat their employees. I am not taking my experience there as representative, I am taking mine and about 85% of the 60-person office that I've spoken to personally about this into account in this 'review'. We all need the job we have desperately and otherwise would obviously have left already but you know it is bad when everyone at the office is talking about it, and I don't mean normal griping, I mean significant depression, teeth grinding, tears (not us guys, just the girls), etc. I am seriously considering going back to my previous company if they'll have me. Since there are only so many general comments and specific examples you can make here without giving your identity away, I'll start by saying that if you are considering (due to the economy/lack of other options like the rest of us) applying or taking a position with this company, first do yourself a big favor and get the names/#s/personal emails of several low-mid level staff at EPG who have worked there for at least a year (hard to find them with the turnover rate--I have been there over 3 years) and ask them about what it is like to come to work day to day and whatever other questions you have (rating categories above a good place to start). The state of this company is such that even with job prospects being slim, the vast majority of staff here who haven't been 'laid off' (the company is highly profitable and doesn't make an effort to communicate problems its management has with staff) or quit to wait tables instead (making better money) have pending applications with other companies. This is truly a case of anywhere else would be better. A number of promises are made (not in writing of course) to get you to come on board, and then the total dysfunction of the management (principals, and therefore, managers that stay on) trickles down to the staff's constant frustration and anger at doing their jobs excellently with no recognition, sub-standard salaries and power plays/drama between the few people in the office that find temporary favor with the owners (who, by the way, work in the Phoenix office--in theory, this could be a good thing, except that they smoke in the office during business hours and are so personally notorious to work for that recently a recruiter for the company said that people he attempted to recruit in OTHER STATES said they would not work for this company due to its terrible reputation in the consulting field). Even if they don't lowball your offer (and that will be your salary for the next couple of years), it is not worth the risk to work here. The staff and managers making the higher salaries here are miserable and waiting for offers to get out because of the non-compensation issues, and their having given up on a future with EPG makes them fairly impossible to work with/for since they are 'dropping the ball' and not motivated.

Advice to Management

Standardize communication between the main office and the other offices, especially with the cultural and biology offices who need to be given budget.

"Solid company, employees have a good work ethic"

I worked at EPG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable compensation package, flexible work scheduling, company events at reduced prices, multiple locations, plenty of work, friendly coworkers, reasonable accommodations in office setting.

Cons

Long work weeks, sometimes too much work and too few people to get it all done. No compensatory or flex time accruals.

"Revolving Door"

Pros

EPG hires talented people. Unfortunately they are cut-throat and fire employees left and right. Or they do not provide any basic incentives to retain these talented people.

Cons

45-50 hours per week required (No straight time, No overtime, No Banking of Hours, No bonuses)
    Salary only. No hourly jobs.
    Required travel and weekend work with little or no warning
    Terrible time off policy
    No sick time allotted
    Socially awkward and smug upper-management
    Inexperienced/underqualified middle-management
    Most employees are just faking-it-until-they-make-it
    Weird "team-bonding" activities that further aleinate employees (much like the TV show "The Office")
    Noisy, distracting cubicle setting
    Salaries below industry standards
    Infrequent raises
    Questionable environmental ethics
    Loophole and mitigation specialists
    EPG = Every Project Guaranteed

Advice to Management

Treat your personnel more like humans (with families and social lives) rather than livestock.

"Completely incompetent at the highest levels. Suprised they are still in business."

Pros

Honestly I cant think of any Pros other than it was a job for three years. Im just glad I'm longer working there.

Cons

No training. No sense of team everyone out for themselves. No leadership. No advancement opportunities. No diversity.

Advice to Management

Ignorance and arrogance are a dangerous combination. Good luck you'll need it.

"Working there was confusing! A huge amount of unnecessary rah-rah to the point of being comical, not helpful."

Pros

The management did train you well. And they had direct deposit.

Cons

All of the leads are old, and when I say old I mean...when you call a lead and the gate-keeper says " What? that person has been dead for the last ten years! " then hangs up on you. Also they keep giving you the same exact leads day after day!! It seemed that employees were rewarded for lying to the business owners. Really unethical practices!! DON'T use your real name if you want to ever be in sales in the future, I would cringe thinking what it would be like for the outside sales person when they walked into an appointment.

Advice to Management

Be on the up and up!! The outside sales people will stand a better chance!