ESF Camps Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Rouse

1. "Former Camp Counselor"

I worked at ESF Camps part-time

Pros

The kids are the best part of the job by far! It is so great to have a fun-filled summer and make relationships with your campers along the way. The staff is helpful and they want the best for the campers.

Cons

As a camp counselor you work from 8:30 to late in the afternoon. It is an exhausting job that is incredibly underpaid.

Advice to Management

Pay your workers more. They are what holds the camp together!

"Counselor at Day Camp (six to nine year olds)"

Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Former Employee - Camp Counselor in Tinton Falls, NJ

I worked at ESF Camps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Working with kids
    -Diversity of activities (Sports, Swim, Fencing, Art, Archery, Etc.)
    -Specialist Staff was great with the kids and VERY nice
    -Themed weeks and dress-up days were fun!

Cons

-THE KIDS DO NOT HAVE FUN. If I took away nothing else from the summer it is that overstructuring everything and an aversion to lawsuits has lead to the most boring summer for these poor kids. I tried my best but the kids were bored with the activity and rarely got chances to let loose any energy or creativity.
    -non-competitive pay ("work for the love of kids, not money" said the for-profit company when anyone asked for money)
    -cancelled overtime multiple times with no notice (I would have to check every day)
    -Base staff (counselors) were untrained and in many cases unmotivated from day one
    -understaffed
    -Paperwork constantly, A counselor has to manage sunscreen sheets, water sheets, camp-o-grams (I had 30 kids in my 'tribe'), check in and out sheets, question of the week sheets, and more which needs to be filled out while working with the kids
    -no breaks for the counselors are allowed

Advice to Management

-If you want the best employees who work their hardest, give them a fair wage. It is a camp, not a charity. The camp I worked at was in a very affluent area, there is no reason for such low pay for the amount of work demanded.
    -give the kids more room to be kids and have a fun summer. We had water balloon days where kids would be grouped up, not with their friends, to throw balloons at trees. That isn't fun. Let art be less structured with projects and give kids more freedom to create things within a themed unit. They need more time to run around and play games and get their sillies out before they'll be able to enjoy activities like science or reading lessons.

3. "Counselor"

I worked at ESF Camps full-time

Pros

it was ok, not great but also not horrible.

Cons

micro management goes a bit overboard.

4. "Counselor"

I worked at ESF Camps part-time

Pros

Amazing standards across company

Cons

Sometimes difficult to have your voice heard

5. "Day Camp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moorestown, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Moorestown, NJ

I worked at ESF Camps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun summer job with a lot of responsibility

Cons

Pay wasn't great and the hours were long.

6. "Solid Summer Job"

I worked at ESF Camps full-time

Pros

Good core management and direction
    No experience needed
    Fun to be around kids
    Parents tend to tip a lot if you have camper's consistently
    Closer workers typically become friends

Cons

Management isn't open to new ideas typically
    It can be frustrating to work around kids
    Work is extremely similar day to day

Advice to Management

Be a little more open to new ideas - I tried to start a fencing clinic and it failed not because of a lack of reources but because management wasn't open to the idea

7. "Mini Camp Counselor"

I worked at ESF Camps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was a counselor for the youngest age group, and they honestly made my summer working at ESF great. I loved that we got to teach them new skills and watch them grow throughout the summer. And then to see former mini campers I was a counselor for excel in the older age group was very rewarding. Definitely recommend working here if you love working with children. The overtime pay wasn't bad either.

Cons

I was disappointed a lot of the times with the way camp was run. I felt like the youngest age group I worked with was just thrown aside and never really looked at by management or the company in general. They treat the youngest age group like babies and do not give them some of the great opportunities the day campers have. ESF needs to include mini camp more; they can do just as much as the 4(+) age group can. Don't limit them.

Advice to Management

Sometimes I felt like upper management couldn't care less about camp running smoothly and only cared about discussing their social lives (which by the way was a completely inappropriate setting to discuss some of the things I heard AND some of the things the kids heard). And then of course when something went wrong, they would turn around and blame the nearest counselor. You basically walk on thin ice every day to make sure you aren't yelled at. If you are a favorite with upper management, then you are fine and never to blame. My overall advice to management would be to not pick favorites, and leave your personal lives at the door. You're here to work and lead like the rest of us, so start leading by example.

"Counselor"

I worked at ESF Camps full-time

Pros

Each day is well organized. Processes are in place, unlike some other camps that I have worked for. Everyone there was really welcoming and positive.

Cons

The hardest part of this job was ending the summer. Clean up is a bit of work, but it's just like any other camp at the end of summer. I you don't like to work or take a position seriously, then don't apply.

Advice to Management

Keep the positivity. Daily meeting are an awesome way to start the day. It keeps everyone on the same page with special events, etc.

"ESF Summer Camps"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lawrenceville, NJ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lawrenceville, NJ

I worked at ESF Camps full-time

Pros

ESF is a great place to work. The staff that work there make you want to come back to work everyday. It is great for interaction.

Cons

The hours at the camp were long. Pay wasn't that great. There was some miscommunication around the camp site.

Advice to Management

Hire an assistant director. More staff is needed just in case people want to have a summer vacation.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor and After School Instructor
    Former Employee - Summer Camp Counselor and After School Instructor

I worked at ESF Camps (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome staff and even more awesome kids. Great leadership. Directors are fun, organized, and helpful. ESF has structured activities and many activities for staff to implement. Great year round work opportunities for college students and summer work for teachers.

Cons

Pay is very low. Staff have the opportunity to work overtime, which is higher pay, but leads to long hours.