ESP Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ESP Associates President Joe Hendrick
Joe Hendrick

1. "Good Company, Great Experience, Great People!"

Former Employee - Civil Designer III in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Civil Designer III in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at ESP Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at ESP Associates for over 4 years. This has been a great work environment with truly friendly, capable, and professional people. My time with this firm has allowed me to gain more experience and develop skill sets I do not believe would be as advanced had I worked anywhere else.
    If you're in your early 20’s and devout in your belief that you know how to operate/lead a department better than senior professionals(with a proven record of success), I can see how you would clash with some members of upper management. However, I have thoroughly enjoyed working with so much autonomy in a friendly environment free of tedious inner office politics and would recommend this company to almost anyone.

Cons

The free coffee is mediocre at best, and at times an office culture centered around a strong work ethic can lead to poor work/life balance.

2. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at ESP Associates (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent culture and work environment. Lots of opportunity to work in different areas and to learn if you have the desire to grow your skills & career. Leadership truly cares about the success of everyone.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is to have more health insurance options.

Advice to Management

Continue promoting from within and holding everyone to high standards.

3. "Great employer - enjoyed my time here!"

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Fort Mill, SC
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Fort Mill, SC

I worked at ESP Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have spent the past 4 years working at ESP Associates and can tell you that you won't find a better civil firm. I always felt appreciated for my work and once a couple of leadership changes occurred, the culture changed for the better almost overnight. If it weren't for my spouse's position being relocated, I would have retired at ESP.

Cons

Commuting times to the south side of Charlotte was difficult at times.

"Hostile work environment"

Current Employee - Survey Technician in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Survey Technician in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at ESP Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, can't think of any more. Free coffee, but it's the cheapest kind ever made. The only good reviews on here are written by the owners.

Cons

Hostile working environment, chauvenist, narcasist owners, little room for growth, no work-life balance, no overtime pay. Culture is dry, boring but hostile. Nothing nice is done for the employees. No one speaks to each other and everyone avoids eye contact. Strangest place I've ever worked. Everyone seems to hate life.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees and treat them like professionals. Act professional and stop blowing up and and shouting things about your personal life across the office. No one cares.

"Recruiting Specialist"

Former Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Rancho Mirage, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiting Specialist in Rancho Mirage, CA

Pros

Full time job, office job

Cons

The Staff is unprofessional, unfriendly, and rude. HIPPA violations daily. The office is noisy and makes it hard to focus. If they don't like you they will verbally harass you until you can't take it no longer and end up fired. I only lasted here four days.

Advice to Management

Need to train employees about work ethics and harassment. Management should be professional and understanding to their employees, and not be to quick to fire because you may end up with a lawsuit. ... For Real!

"Good growth potential"

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Technician in Charlotte, NC

I worked at ESP Associates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A good place to get started with your career and a decent place if you are mid level. Features a diverse client base with a variety of work, albeit mostly commercial and residential jobs. Office is very young with many greenhorns. Company has a good eye for finding young talent.

ESP has experienced rapid growth the past few years and has added staff accordingly to try and keep pace with the increasing work load. Company is strategically located in one of the hottest real-estate markets in America outside of Texas, California and DC. They are not burdened with aging overpaid dinosaurs and have thus has stayed competitive against fierce competition.

Benefits are average for most departments and they typically pay straight time for anything past 40 hours which is a nice perk and somewhat rare in the industry. Lots of overtime available if you want it.

Ownership is likeable and in general is very positive. They listen to you and the conversations are real unlike other companies where corporate bigwigs are too high and mighty to give you the time of day.

Cons

Work life balance is somewhat skewed at times. Working 60+ hours a week can burn you out and it seems to be expected in Engineering. Deadlines are a fact of life in the A&E fields but sometimes the clients are just not being realistic and the PM's don't have the guts to step up and say no, especially during the holidays.

Please pay people what they are worth or you will lose them to greener pasture. Offering lots off overtime (straight time for salaried employees) is not a justification for lower salaries. Some of the department heads are notoriously cheap with their employees in order to keep costs low and undercut the competition.

Certain PM's and Dept. heads have big pie in the sky ambitions and make promises to staff during performance reviews that they shouldn't make. If it's not a real opportunity don't make one up and don't ask staff to do more for peanuts.

Advice to Management

Start upgrading computers on a regular rotational basis. Old technology in the A&E field is recipe for disaster and ridiculous for a company growing at a rapid rate. Higher additional competent IT staff. Reel in department heads regarding promises made promises kept.

"Bad work environment. Overworked employees. No appreciation of staff. Hostile managers and owners."

Current Employee - Current Employee in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Current Employee in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at ESP Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many. Really having to think hard here. Clean office is all I can think of.

Cons

Will work you to death with no overtime. Degrading and hostile, foul mouthed owners. Owners run around office yelling profanity and throwing things/slamming doors. Not a good place for women. Sexist behaviors. High turnover. The environment is very negative overall. Fear of being fired. Don't value employees. Non flexible work schedule.

Advice to Management

Hire better project managers, stop firing people and laying them off for ridiculous reasons or you'll end up in a lawsuit. Create a more positive and happy working envioronment. Stop yelling, cursing and and throwing fits around the office. It distracts us from work and creates a fearful working environment.

8. "Land Survey"

Pros

Great company to work for! Many benefits!

Cons

Workers tend to great take advantage of project managers and tend to "idle" their work progress and completion time. Jobs could be better managed for efficiency as some crews sit in work trucks for hours doing no work but chatting about nothing but getting paid. Other firms would not put up with this.

9. "Project Manager"

I have been working at ESP Associates full-time

Pros

Not sure I understand the comments that are provided by others. While no company is perfect, the leadership at ESP strives to provide quality engineering for top level clients by supporting top level employees. All the policies and procedures that they create follow these values. The growth that has occurred due to our company success has been taxing, but they have managed the process with the best intentions and with employee satisfaction at the forefront.

Cons

The market has created an environment of rapid growth, which has been difficult to manage. This is a very good thing for the construction industry, but has created operational challenges.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

Management is very personal and provides support and advice to project managers on a regular basis.

Cons

Not much to complain about