ESPN Reviews in Bristol, CT | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
ESPN President John Skipper
John Skipper

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult to maintain (in 35 reviews)

• Some events require working long hours (in 25 reviews)

1. "The world wide leader is more than a marketig slogan."

Current Employee - Coordinating Technical Director in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Coordinating Technical Director in Bristol, CT

Pros

The pride and relentless pursuit of inovation and excellence. They put the viewers and employees needs into every action they take. I've worked at small market stations and espn is by far the industy standard. This place is televison haven if you want to work on bleeding edge equipment and have you work seen by millions of people each day. I look forward to comming to work each day, I especially like the fact that I'm in a possiton where I can make a decision, I have the ear of senior managment and my thoughts and concerns are heard. I cant wait to see whats on the horizon for espn.

Cons

You have to work hard to raise above you collegues. But if youre a brown noser but you suck at your job you will still get ahead. One more downside is that we are a 24/7 365 operation that means no holidays off, no weekends. Its tough for people that want a social life. If you want to get ahead you really have to sacrifice a lot. There is so much to learn you cant do that by working your normal 10 or 8 hour day. I wish my dept gave you schedules earlier. The director staff get there schedule a month in advance.

Advice to Management

I think they are knowlegable and have the company going on a right track.

2. "Sports Lovers Paradise..."

Current Employee - Production Assistant in Bristol, CT

Pros

If you love sports, ESPN is the place to be. The Worldwide Leader in Sports provides a fast-paced, high energy environment where strict deadlines must be met, but the process is enjoyable and exciting.

Cons

The hours can be tough to adjust to at first. Considering that most sporting events happen at night and on the weekends, many of us work well into the night. For someone young like me, this is no problem, but I can envision a time in life when working until 2am will not have the same appeal that it has now.

Advice to Management

I think you are doing an excellent job running the company. With consistent growth and the total dominance of the sports media marketplace, I think it's hard to find issue with the way Senior Management is doing their job.

3. "ESPN has a commitment to excellence and communication."

Current Employee - Production Assistant in Bristol, CT

Pros

ESPN is an extremely collaborative experience. Doors are almost always open for discussions about Processes, Content, Execution and ways to improve all of these areas.

Many of ESPN's employees have the ability to suggest improvements and different approaches that will aide the company in moving forward and becoming as efficient as possible.

Cons

The workload. "With great power comes great responsibility" (or so a famous Super Hero once said) and ESPN has an enormous amount of responsibility to provide a tremendous amount of quality content. Producing Twenty Four hours of content, over three quarters of which is LIVE TV, is very daunting, not to mention all of the online, radio, print and mobile content. ... It can get a bit overwhelming to think about the amount of content ESPN produces.

Also, the pressure of always providing the best TV is a bit life-consuming. Work-Life balance is emphasized, but to truly succeed in TV (or so I've seen so far), that balance gets skewed a bit by the dedication to Work.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the communication lines as open as they are. Always be willing to tell us when we've done well, as well as when we've done wrong.

Showing the personal side of management also really helps bring out the best communication environment for me. I'm much better at talking, providing ideas and listening to feedback when its coming from a place of respect and assistance, rather than with a diminutive, dismissive attitude.

"ESPN is the best company I've ever worked at."

Current Employee - Manager in Bristol, CT

Pros

There are tons of growth opportunities. They promote from within. They invest in future leaders. Owned by Disney, so free park passes and 50% off at Disney hotels. Tuition reimbursement. Onsite gym. The huge growth in the industry means lots of opportunities to grow, if youre willing to attain new skills. New media is a big growth area. TONS more.

Cons

Old-school mentality about working your way up.

Advice to Management

As we get big, dont get slow.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

Pros

-- Opportunity to pursue whatever you'd like
    -- Management was, in my opinion, more than competent and willing to roll up their sleeves and do dirty work.
    -- Teamwork and collaboration within groups was not only encouraged, but a vital part of ESPN's success.

Cons

-- Bristol and CT in general can be tough to get used to
    -- Pay was fair, but cost of living in CT is high and can affect overall outlook on job.
    -- On TV side, too much emphasis placed, at times, on promotion over content. When I worked at ESPN.com, it was the complete opposite.

Advice to Management

Maintain and gain ... it was a great place to work and would happily return in the future.

7. "Great experience as an Intern"

Former Employee - Client Services Intern in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Client Services Intern in Bristol, CT

Pros

Great work environment with many positive people that are very pleasant. As an intern was able to meet individuals from across the country with diverse backgrounds. During time there enjoyed numerous volunteer opportunities and corporate events that allowed for interaction with on screen talent.

Cons

Location might not be the best for some but for an internship is a great change of pace. Company does not provide much feedback regarding performance until end of term.

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees are able to see a route towards achieving whatever career goals they have planned for themselves.

8. "ESPN is an exciting place to work, where the company as a whole expects employees to eat/breathe/sleep ESPN culture."

Former Employee - Supervising Integration Producer in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Supervising Integration Producer in Bristol, CT

Pros

If you are a sports fan, there is no better atmosphere. Either in Production or in more traditional 9-5 business disciplines, you will be surrounded with people who enjoy a 20 minute conversation about minute details of last night's game.

Cons

Even at the management level, you will work Nights, Weekends and Holidays....you know, when sports are Live. The strategy and culture is very top-down, where the direction of the company is dictated by management.

Advice to Management

ESPN Management was always good to me in allowing me to have a life outside of ESPN. I often speak very highly of the management and simply left to pursue other interests.

"Overall, a great place to work."

Current Employee - Manager in Bristol, CT

Pros

A great nuruting environment that encourages innovation and individual freedoms. The company is truly concerned about the well being of its employees. The company works very hard to ensure that the integrity of the work environment. The compnay gives your the opportunity to learn and do a lot.

Cons

Too much of a locker room mentality/ old boys network, which interferes with and compromises the goals of the company and president. The "pay for performance" program is not properly administered. Some groups are paid for mediocre performance and other groups are not rewarded for outstanding performance. You are also asked to do a lot with limited resources.

Advice to Management

Loosen the purse strings and reward employees and individual employees for their tireless efforts. Acknowledge that it takes a lot to produce the products and reward those who make it happen.

10. "Respectfully Business Casual Environment"

Former Employee - Operations Technician in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Operations Technician in Bristol, CT

Pros

The overall environment at ESPN is very casual, very friendly and most of all respectfull. Great place to work for college graduates looking to get a head in the television industry. Also great benefits as well as VERY GOOD PERKS.

Cons

This is a 24 hour environment so be prepared to work the over night shift if you are a new hire.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know your staff and the more you offer them the more they will be willing to sacrafice themselves for you.

"Highly desireable place to work, great innovators"

Current Employee - Consultant in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Consultant in Bristol, CT

Pros

Company doing extremely well, growing rapidly, with lots of opportunity for those who bring valid skillsets to the business. Much comraderie.

Cons

Doing well and having money (deep pockets) also brings a certain lack of focus. Not a strategy driven company. Built from ground up, lots of talented people who have been there many years, and sometimes not enough outside influences to help business grow beyond what they know (well... sports entertainment.)

Advice to Management

Build more depth; dig deep to develop talent.