ETS Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Internship Experience"

I worked at ETS Corporation full-time

Pros

I interned at ETS for about 3 months and I really enjoyed it. The environment was super relaxed and welcoming. All the employees were super helpful and easy to work with. I learned a lot at ETS and I'm really grateful I was given the opportunity to be an intern here. They even paid me to intern which was awesome because most companies don't pay interns. I'm sad to leave ETS but I would love to possibly have a career here in the future. Ed isn't the person all the other reviews make him out to be. He's a nice guy and he actually worked with all the interns a lot over the summer. The fact that he worked with us directly and taught us so much shows a lot about his character. Most CEOs of other companies wouldn't even bother with the interns. I would honestly recommend working here to anyone.

Cons

They lock the office down before 9 am so it's impossible to get in. Even if you arrive 10 minutes early you're stuck waiting for someone with a key to let you in.

2. "Good internship"

Pros

Cooperative, Flexible, Informational, Interesting, Fun

Cons

Sometimes the tasks are not very different from one another, although it's not at all often.

3. "ETS"

I have been working at ETS Corporation full-time

Pros

Is a great place to work, it is a good Environment to grow and learn, Anyone is willing to help you grow and succeed. The Place is looking for highly motivated people to be apart of the change as ETS drive forward through to the future.

Cons

The days can be very challenging but highly rewarding.

"Interesting Place"

Pros

-Nice employees
    -Nadia
    -The kind lady that emptied my trash daily
    -Free food every now and then
    -Hadi
    -Great kitchen & office view

Cons

Ed, the CEO, seems to be an accomplished man who built a company out of nothing, which is very respectable. I never had any significant issues with him, but let me tell you, he is quite the character. I don't think I have ever met someone who speaks so condescendingly in every single conversation they have. I'm not sure if he has ADD or something but his thoughts and ideas seem to drastically change by the hour and some seem to be pulled straight out of his rear end.

Advice to Management

Take Ed to therapy. The man needs to relax.

"Terrible For Engineers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at ETS Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was definitely a family vibe among the people in engineering when I was there, but that had to do with the employees, not (upper) management, so I couldn't tell you what it's like now.

Cons

What you have to understand about ETS is that it's a corporation in name only. It really works like a sole proprietorship run by his highness Ed Vaughn.

There is no engineering process because Ed is a tyrant and thinks he can inject himself into the engineering teams' process or radically alter the scope of work on a whim. He would say really dumb things like, "How hard can it be to implement what I want. You just say 'If this, then that.' Why am I telling you how to do your job?"

Beyond that, the money and benefits at ETS are middling. Maybe they are good for Ashburn, but you could easily get a salary bump and full benefits down the road in Reston or Tysons. The vacation was good, but the rest was just okay. Full healthcare for your family, but no dental or vision and definitely no 401k matching.

Something that I think is indicative of the culture there. If you asked about 401k matching, the response was a well rehearsed "We don't do that because we pay in full for your healthcare." Well, that's great, but it's not binary. I have full healthcare coverage with 401k matching and more vacation now. But that's a classic sales tactic, to tell someone no but phrase your response such that it seems like it is in the buyers best interest to not get the thing they want.

That's Ed Vaughn for you, though. He'd try to sell you a pile of feces and convince you it was chocolate. From a technical perspective, that's what ETS is selling. He's the reason they can't keep good employees, bar none. I'm just surprised he gets away with it without losing his customers and investors.

Advice to Management

Ed Vaughn is like Travis Kalanik from Uber. You have to give him the credit for ETS' success through the years and for having the charisma, vision and drive to get the company where it is.

That being said, you also have to give him credit for cultivating the toxic culture that is the cause of the low ratings on Glassdoor and the cancerous technical debt that made it feel like all the systems would collapse at any moment (at least when I was there).

Someday, ETS will rot from the inside out, and there will be only Ed to blame. But when that day comes, I'd bet my first born child he will walk away with millions in his pocket and you'll find him at a golf club that night bragging about how he came out smelling like a rose and blaming his failures on anyone and anything except himself.

"Check your morals at the door."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ashburn, VA

I worked at ETS Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free health care. And that's it.

Cons

Look I could beat a dead horse here but I won't. Just know all of the negative reviews are true. And all of the positive reviews are either upper management or the lackeys that drink the cool aid. I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy, well maybe.

Advice to Management

Retire Ed Vaughan, Your driving the company off of a cliff, nobody wants to do business with you anymore. The lies, the deception, the sexual harassment, the Ashley Madison list (twice). It's sad.

7. "Positive Review"

I have been working at ETS Corporation (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company is the true meaning of "started from the bottom now we're here". Any decent, hard working, and appreciative individual would recognize the great opportunity of being a part of the ETS team. Great employee benefits including FREE health insurance, always room for growth and career advancement, and anyone know of any other company that gives you a brand new Mercedes Benz for an employee's 10 year? Beyond that and the negative reviews, employees are quite happy, genuinely enjoy their job/position, and have great respect for Senior Management. Theres a lot to be said when you have employees that tske pride in their work and are proud to be here
     We look up to the CEO and respect him and how far he's taken this company. With innovative solutions,it isn't hard to be successful, they give you all the tools to be. ETS isn't doing exceptionally well and better each year for no reason- there are many reasons and the proof is in the success of the company and the individuals who stand behind it.

Cons

The intention of this review is to bring to light the positives of ETS.

Advice to Management

Please look past the negative and petty reviews and know that your employees have so much respect for you and appreciate the opportunity to be a part of this company.

"To the "Stay far, far away" Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at ETS Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ETS is the best company I have ever worked for and it's sad to see someone bashing the company like this, especially our CEO Ed Vaughan. Mind you, the person who wrote this review has the audacity to say "I am gone soon too", please do us all a favor and leave now instead of using ETS as your piggy bank to your salary. We would be more than happy to welcome anyone that is actually willing to work instead of using this site to get your own frustrations out. If you work hard this is the place you are looking for!

The real problem is not our CEO, it's employee's like this...looking to get rewarded when they do not put the effort to stand out. He rewards his good employee's because they work HARD and put the effort to make this company the BEST.

Clearly you are far too worried about what others are doing instead of focusing on what you could be doing better for YOUR company.

The cars for employees? Yes, Ed rewards anyone who has worked for ETS for 10 years with a Mercedes Benz of your choice.

What about Christmas Party? Belmont Country Club is rented out every year with rooms available at the Hyatt Hotel with a bus taking you to the party and back. Open bar....and all expenses paid for.

What about the large bonuses? Every year the top 5 employees are given $20,000.00 in bonuses.....but I guess it just isn't enough for some people?

What about the ping pong table? Table soccer? Giant Jenga ETS purchased to let employees get a break throughout the day.

What about all the happy hours and are FULLY paid for?

Yes, self-taught developers are more than welcome here! ETS gives opportunity to anyone! Just because you don't have a degree doesn't mean that you don't have potential and ETS is always happy to give you a shot!

so to your dare, you found one person who agrees with all the 5 star reviews.

Cons

Not getting the cockroach out yet!

Advice to Management

You guys are AWESOME! Thank you for your hard work and dedication to our company!

9. "You will not find a better company to work for than ETS"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Berlin, MD
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Berlin, MD

I have been working at ETS Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One of the best aspects of ETS is how much they promote self development, I have learned a wealth of knowledge about the industry as well as myself that has helped my work tremendously. The relentless support of senior management has helped our team learn about ourselves

Cons

There are no downsides to this job if you are willing and ready to learn.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing!

"Rebuttal of the rebuttal of the "Stay far, far away" review"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Ashburn, VA
    Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Ashburn, VA

I have been working at ETS Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

LOL. There may SEEM to be pros for a little while, but then you really meet the CEO

About once a year there are happy hours that are fully paid for

Cons

"best company you've ever worked for" - how many companies is that? You're clearly either working out of the jaded Ocean City playground or you are in Ed's pockets. This place is an abomination.

The ONLY problem at this company is the CEO. He is the source of every issue, lawsuit, missed deadline, failed demo and delayed PCI compliance. Look up VISA PCI compliance and pull up ETS. As of this review posting they are “yellow”, not green. You’d think after this many years they’d not have an issue.

If you think he rewards good employees, you are sorely mistaken.

NO, Ed does NOT reward ALL employees with cars at 10 years. For starters, they are Ed's cars, not the employee's. Second, walk around and talk to people and you will find they do NOT have Mercedes and they have worked there 10 years. So, NO, you are completely wrong.

But, there are OTHER ways to get a Mercedes. Go talk to employees that drive Mercedes and have NOT been there 10 years and learn about the ways you can get a Mercedes early! Just be ready to put aside your pride and sell yourself out. One of those Mercedes is in the ETS parking spots right now!

Large $20k bonuses? Why don't you get off of Glassdoor and actually go talk to the employees who won the "award" this year. Yes, previous years he did EVENTUALLY give the bonus, but this year - nope.

He loves to tell people they are getting a raise and then delay or not do it at all. He loves using false promises to woo future employees, motivate current employees and win customers.

Ping pong table? Don't let Ed see you using it during the day.

Giant Jenga - It was brought in by an employee. But, yes, it's allowed to be out BUT do NOT let Ed see you playing it during the day.

Happy hours fully paid for? About once a year, yes, there are fully paid happy hours. In fact, this is a pro and I'll put it up there.

You are correct. Self-taught developers ARE welcome here. Good developers are not welcome here or they quit because the place is horrific. This is the reason that there are constant problems with their IT side of the company. There are always issues with the servers and software in our building not working or going down and customers complaining.

Walk around and talk to the software team and ask how much experience outside of ETS they have. There a couple that have been there for a while and have experience and they sit in their office and don't talk to anyone.

There have been a number of very experienced people that have come and quickly leave. They don't stay long and they are clearly much more talented than the people that remain.

Yes, the review did find one naive person to agree with the 5-star reviews written by or ordered to be written by the Exec. Congrats to you for either being new, working out of OC, in Ed's pocket or just completely ignorant of what goes on at ETS.

I invite you to write a follow-on review in a year or two. If you look the other way at the appropriate time, you MAY have a Mercedes!

Advice to Management

Seriously, stop having people write these reviews. You glassdoor review history is hilarious.

Accept your company for what it is. You created this abomination.