EVRAZ North America Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
EVRAZ North America President & CEO Conrad Winkler
Conrad Winkler

Pros
Cons
  • There is no work/life balance, which is why the finance team experiences high turnover (in 8 reviews)

• Poor treatment by upper management (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great learning experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at EVRAZ North America (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company provides a lot of learning opportunity and career development. You have great access to executive management.

Cons

The industry is cyclical, which will impact bonus compensation. The company does not have advanced systems. Most work is conducted in excel, but detailed templates is valuable to learn the business.

2. "Continuous Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at EVRAZ North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

FANTASTIC BENEFITS
    Autonomy
    Decent Pay
    Caring Management Team

Cons

Cyclical business environment
    Communication not always expressed to floor in the way that really describes our vision
    Lack of trust between certain groups

Advice to Management

Keep moving on the same path of CI. There is a lot of care towards employees from the leadership team, but that always doesn't get communicated to the floor. I think it would go a long way if floor level employees really knew how much upper management cared about them

3. "Lab Tech"

Current Employee - Lab Tech in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Lab Tech in Portland, OR

I have been working at EVRAZ North America full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits.

Cons

To many wanna be chiefs. Clueless management. Senior workers bully, and manipulate anyone they feel threatened by. Only care about themselves, not the team. Could be the best department if you got rid of one employee that thinks he runs the shop.

Advice to Management

Listen to the guys on the floor, and actually make a effort get be out on the floor with the workers to get a clue about what's going on. Grow a pair and don't let the "the best worker" try and dictate how the lab should run for his benefit, rather than the team...

5. "Technical engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at EVRAZ North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working schedule, train and education for the future.

Cons

Nature of beast, work odd hours, dont be lazy.

Advice to Management

Dont micro manage.

6. "My Perspective"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at EVRAZ North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for EVRAZ for over 3 years now. It has been a rewarding and also challenging experience. I have had the opportunity to work with some smart and very talented individuals. The company has also worked towards improving the day to day employee experience.

Cons

We once had a toxic, ego driven work environment, but most of those people have moved on from the Company, which is for the better. The industry itself is cyclical, so it is not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on employee engagement and turning the business around. We still have business challenges ahead, but hopefully things will turnaround.

7. "3+ years review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

I've had a worthwhile experience. I would attribute this greatly to working with a wonderful manager. From a company perspective, you're never bored; things change quickly and you must be able to adapt. If you are someone willing to embrace change and has a passion for improvement, this can be a good place for you.

Cons

As with other companies, there is a lot of work to be done (at least with in my area). This is suited for best for someone who possesses qualities of adaptability, teamwork, and delegation (or be willing to work towards this).

8. "HR"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at EVRAZ North America full-time

Pros

Absolute great benefits. Just a solid manufacturing environment with good people.

Cons

There is no "Ivory Tower" in Pueblo but still great place to work.

9. "Management"

Pros

NONE Don't work here! They don't like VET!

Cons

After three years not working there , they take back my pension! Worked for them 6 1/2 years and without tilling me.

10. "Boom or bust!"

Former Employee - Management in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Management in Portland, OR

I worked at EVRAZ North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity, but high risk of layoff. Good pay and benefits.

Cons

Steel and energy markets are either in a boom or bust cycle - nothing in between. During a bust cycle, always huge layoffs. Little to no job security.

"Stay away"

I worked at EVRAZ North America (More than 5 years)

Pros

EVRAZ pays a higher-than-average salary for technical professionals in the steel industry. If you are young, you may benefit from high starting salary, but don't plan to stay more than 2-3 years. Unless you are a higher level manager nobody will be bothering you on weekends.

Cons

EVRAZ is a classic case of failing fundamentals while obsessing over conformance to misguided improvement plans and old fashioned management methods. Stay away. EVRAZ will be wiped away in the next round of steel industry consolidations.

Raises have been suspended for 3 years running. All performance reviews are normalized to "average" curve by HR.

My boss prevented me from interviewing for at least one potential promotion, so that he could keep me where he wanted me.

Upper management seems out for themselves and their personal career advancement. I have seen ideas stripped from individual contributors, and twisted until they are presented as "Lean" improvements by people who have not even earned a Green Belt. A big show is made on a monthly basis of "walking the floor" ("gemba walk"). Form over function.

Employees do not believe upper management is engaged in quality improvements (only in talking about them).

Hourly employees work very hard and adapt as best as they can to shifting priorities, but are not respected (they know it very well).

There have been massive recent layoffs, including idling or closure of 5 out of 9 facilities in the last two years, and selling off a few other assets. The steel industry is tough right now, but EVRAZ is leveraged too heavily into the oil and gas sector so has been hit especially hard.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen anyway. My best advice to management is to fatten your resume before Mother Russia sells the US operations off. Most operations are being consolidated to Regina, SK.