EY Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Intern

4.3

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Risk Advisory Intern"

Former Intern - Risk Advisory Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Intern - Risk Advisory Intern in Houston, TX

I worked at EY as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Plenty of work to be done, so there's not much downtime and you're always learning. The work is similar to what a staff 1 would do, so you get a slight preview of the full-time job.

-I got to travel during the first 3 weeks of my internship

-Worked with 7 different clients, gaining tons of exposure to different teams, clients, and industries

-Lots of chances for feedback; there are weekly intern experience meetings, and each intern is assigned a counselor and peer buddy.

Cons

- Work can be monotonous at times, but the staff you work with can make up for it.

- Experience is determined by the teams you worked with. I never had a "bad" team during my internship though

Advice to Management

I'd say perhaps there could be more opportunities to explore other career paths in EY, but my internship experience was really good overall and I don't have any complaints.

2. "Great Experience!"

Former Employee - Advisory Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Advisory Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at EY (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful People and Culture Throughout

Cons

None! Only worked for a small amount of time

Advice to Management

Only an intern so unsure.

3. "Internship at Ernst & Young Review"

Former Intern - Intern
    Former Intern - Intern

I worked at EY as an intern

Pros

Its a great company to intern at

Cons

I can't really think of any

4. "Assurance Intern"

Former Intern - Assurance Intern in McLean, VA
    Former Intern - Assurance Intern in McLean, VA

I worked at EY as an intern

Pros

Great intern activity events schedule
    Multiple client teams
    Fun and hardworking culture
    Interaction with all levels of the organization

Cons

Interns were prohibited from working in excess of 40 hours (summer)

5. "Excellent place to develop consulting experience!"

Former Intern - TAP Intern
    Former Intern - TAP Intern

I worked at EY as an intern

Pros

-The people are absolutely awesome. From the recruiting process to the final internship conference, the EY team takes care of you
    -Great training, feedback, and professional organizaiton

Cons

-Not much ability as an intern to control the project you are assigned to

Advice to Management

-Let interns indicate their project preferences and take that into consideration!

"Great firm if you like accounting"

Former Employee - Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at EY (More than a year)

Pros

The people and culture at the firm are great. I personally did not like my experience with accounting as a field and therefore will not return full-time to the firm but if accounting is your thing, you can't do better than EY.

Cons

In my experience as an intern I found that you don't get to see a whole lot of the real, staff level work you will do once you begin full-time. This makes it a bit hard to truly know if you want to work in accounting or not.

7. "EY Tax Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Tax Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Intern - Tax Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at EY as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

EY has a large, corporate work environment which allows people new to the workforce to gain a broad skillset within tax accounting.

Cons

The internship is very administrative based, and the most work I did relating to taxes was filling out forms and formatting Excel files.

Advice to Management

Allow interns to do more accounting-heavy work.

8. "Good for some"

Former Intern - Risk Advisory Intern
    Former Intern - Risk Advisory Intern

I worked at EY as an intern

Pros

- Wonderful people. I really enjoyed working with my teams, and I made some great friendships during my internship.
    - Structured nature of promotions is helpful in knowing how long it will take you to move up within the company.
    - Lots of support and good teamwork. There is always someone there to help you if you're not sure what to do.
    - Open-door policy from senior managers and partners. I got a lot of face-time with these folks in my office, and they went out of their way to respond to my emails and have coffee and lunches with me. You don't find that in most places.
    - Lots of free food.
    - Pretty normal hours, at least in IT audit.
    - Lots of intern events to help you meet interns from other service lines.
    - Seems like there are great opportunities for people who stick around as well as great exit opportunities, but I did not experience this myself as an intern.
    - Robust benefits package that shows how much the firm really cares about its employees.

Cons

- Low pay (at least for those with an Info Sys degree), and everyone starts at the same level. You don't get rewarded for doing better in your internship or having better grades, previous work experience, or a certain degree.
    - Bonuses/raises based on rating scale compared to peers, but you still move up within the company according to a very rigid timeline. So, no matter how hard you work, it will still take you 2 years to become senior, 3 more years to become manager, etc. There is no real incentive to push harder than your coworker except maybe a few thousand dollars in bonus/raise money.
    - Despite what they say, it is very hard to switch service lines. I tried to do it as an intern, and despite expressing my change in interests early on, and despite stellar feedback, they still offered me a full-time role in the service line I was trying to leave. In talking to full-time employees also trying to make a move, it can be very difficult and take years.
    - Auditing/IT auditing is their bread and butter. Don't take an offer there if you don't love it. Personally, I found it incredibly boring, and if you are coming from an IT background, do yourself a favor and take a more technical internship elsewhere.
    - Has a little bit of a "drinking the Kool-Aid" feel. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not really my thing.
    - Internship was incredibly short: 10 weeks, 2 of which are training (which I did not find particularly helpful for the actual work I did) and the intern conference. Take out a few unpaid days for 4th of July holiday, and you're really only working about 7.5 weeks over the summer. It's long enough to get a slight taste for the work, but not long enough to make any real impact.
    - On-campus recruiting is not clear about the fact that Risk Advisory is NOT consulting. I was misled, and that affected my experience.
    - If you stay on full-time, you may have to divest some of your investments if you own stock in companies EY audits.

Advice to Management

Be more clear in on-campus recruiting about the nature of your intern programs. Make promotions and salaries more fluid and based on what employees can actually bring to the table, not an Excel table that rigidly outlines ranks and corresponding dollar values. Continue to do a great job bridging the gap between upper management and new employees.

9. "FSO Assurance Summer 2017 Intern, Los Angeles"

Current Intern - FSO Assurance Intern in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Intern - FSO Assurance Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience. Had hands on experience working on business projects and assurance work.

Cons

The internship period could be extended from seven weeks to eight weeks.

10. "Summer Assurance Intern"

Former Intern - Summer Assurance Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Summer Assurance Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at EY as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

People are good to work with. Nice pay.

Cons

Lots of travel. Overtime working during the busy season.