EY Reviews in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

Los Angeles, CA Area

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Cons

1. "Great development opportunities if you're willing to work your butt off"

Current Employee - Human Resources Supervising Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Supervising Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Advancement opptys; pay is fair; global rotation opptys; learning opptys; networking

Cons

little work-life balance; unclear career-pathing for non accountants

"It's not for everyone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you find the right team and a good mentor, you'll be fine.

There is opportunity for technical training if you really want it.

You'll get your next job on the name of this company alone.

You get thrown into supervisory roles pretty quickly. Even if it's not meaningful, it's fairly good experience.

If you are on top of things and are in the right group, there is flexibility in hours and the ability to work from home. You don't have to not see your family for 6 months out of the year if you are organized and professional.

Cons

Disclaimer: Most of this is office-specific.

The coffee is bad. Tea selection was OK.

Teamwork is almost non-existent. It's more just groups of people doing related work. There's no sense of "we're in this together" outside of we're all "going through this [ordeal] together". The way the work and rating process is structured, it's not to your benefit to care about your clients or anyone other than yourself. I felt encouraged to leave my staff behind to work late. This made me like an jerk and I often did work in secret.

Superiors can be very terrible at divvying up the work reasonably.

Schedulers ignore you.

Even when coworkers are willing to share some of their inhumane workload, there is a lot of admin/bureaucracy/obstinate engagement managers that stand in the way of adding new people to the team.

Rarely is interesting or technical work given to staff/seniors.

Management has little to no interest in using employees in ways that maximize their strengths, preferring to enforce identical roles/job functions across the board.

Advice to Management

From where I stood, there was a very "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" attitude with the way things were run. Either be more transparent on the decision-making process, or start taking strategies coming from beneath you seriously.

3. "SM"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The challenge and variety of projects and collegues

Cons

the Hierarchical / tiered partner-consultant model needs updating and more transparency

Advice to Management

Transparency could be improved especially about advancement

5. "Great learning experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning environment. Always surrounded by smart folks so no question goes unsolved.

Cons

Sometimes impersonal; just like any corporation would be

Advice to Management

Spend more time with younger folks to keep them involved.

6. "Great Internship Experience"

Former Intern - Business Advisor Program - Advisory Staff in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - Business Advisor Program - Advisory Staff in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at EY as an intern

Pros

Great culture. The employees all come from very diverse backgrounds. Everyone is respectful and is very open to collaboration. The work is very interesting as well.

Cons

The internship program is only 8 weeks long. This means that you don't get an in-depth perspective of the project that you're on.

7. "No surprises"

Current Employee - Assurance Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Assurance Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good culture, strong leadership, fantastic network, great learning opportunities

Cons

Way too much emphasis on meeting hours budgets, pressure from PCAOB has caused the auditing profession to harp on ICFR minutia (not EY's fault but is a con of the job), performance ratings subject to disparities depending on reviewers, feedback is not timely, can get lost in the fray without a proper mentor, hours are long (but who didn't know that?)

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the smaller audits that burn a lot of time, but fees are low and don't allow you to charge much time without wrecking the budget.

8. "For the 2020, not good any more"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

All the benefits like travel and 401k

Cons

More like an American corporate now

9. "Tax Senior"

Current Employee - Tax Senior in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career development, mentorship, flexibility of workplace, good benefits, variety of experiences available, high profile client exposure, high quality training offerings, rigid progression path.

Cons

Poor work life balance, less competitive pay than other big 4 firms, lots of administrative obligations, stressful and demanding working environment, high turnover challenging on engagement dynamics.

Advice to Management

I would advise managers to be more encouraging that staff/seniors leave work at a reasonable hour and truly prioritize work/ deadlines and be considerate of other engagements and obligations that staff and seniors are balancing.

10. "Great place to start your accounting/audit career"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It gives you a solid base to develop your career in the market. You can get the chance to work with some smart people that you could learn a lot from. Growth opportunities

Cons

Be ready for long work hours. Busy season never ends (this will depend on your portfolio and the YE of your clients, but there is always something going on to keep you busy). Work/life balance might be hard to achieve.

Advice to Management

Should work better on retention of experienced personnel.

11. "A Few Bad Apples"

Former Employee - Resource Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Resource Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part, local office leadership is engaged, accessible and promotes the values of the firm. Relationships are key, but they are easy to build. You work hard, however it is rewarded and acknowledged.

Cons

While strong company culture and reward for good work is promoted and, for the most part, Is the philosophy of the Partners and Leaders...it is, in fact, a partnership. There is a small number of partners and leaders, including the former leader of the Staffing team, that are abusive. Although they represent a minority, it is shameful that their behavior is known and not addressed. The Partners/Leaders are measured by their numbers. Great numbers/results significantly outweighs treatment of staff...for these partners/leaders, and again, they are a minority, their behavior is overlooked and therefore tolerated.

Advice to Management

l actually loved my time at EY. I would like to reiterate that most of the Leadership team was wonderful. Although my direct Leadership was quite abusive, she was focused mostly upwards and not always on our team....it it mitigated it a bit. But there are a few on the team that bared the brunt. Retention should be a key measure for Leadership. We had a revolving door on our team...and it was a direct result of this person's abuse of her team.

Showing 174 of 13,007 reviews