EY Reviews in Palo Alto, CA | Glassdoor

Palo Alto, CA

2.1

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Challenging, frustrating at times, brand helps."

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Growing practice, reasonable salary, EY brand.

Cons

Frustrating bureaucracy, salary not top of the market

Advice to Management

Too slow to respond to changing needs of the organization. Reinvent yourself in ways that matter to keep up with the competition.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Competitive Pay, smart people, good experience. Demanding work and competitive environment.

Cons

Cut throat leadership, vindictive and petty management. Excessive and demanding leadership, little investment in training or development. Constantly changing teams and inexperienced leaders. I had good ratings for 5 years, at the end of my fifth year I suddenly found myself rated as below expectations. Everything prior was met or exceeded expectations. Granted for a few months I may have been distracted, but my wife's cancer was not deemed to be an adequate reason. While at the hospital after her surgery I was asked to be in Ohio in two days which I then did and continued to travel during her chemotherapy, although I was able to schedule it on Friday's and attend most of them over a three month period. I was terminated while she was still undergoing chemotherapy. When I mentioned that none of my previous ratings had been less that “met or exceeded expectations” and the sudden shift to “failed to meet expectations” was sudden and not documented the HR VP told me it did not matter. I would have liked to have had more time to contest that, but the review was actually written after I was terminated. Calls to former Senior Managers and colleagues were all unanswered and not returned. At least they were loyal to each other.

Advice to Management

Take a long heard look in the mirror next time you are tempted to call that sweatshop a family. If that is your idea of a family I am glad I am not related to you. I don’t wish cancer on anyone, but when it hits your family ponder losing your job as the sole provider of a family of five on top of that.

3. "Good place to start from college, not a long term position for most"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Great training opportunities and ability to check out many areas of accounting (revenue, equity, inventory, accruals, SEC reporting, etc.). Work with many young colleagues.

Cons

Work life balance is low for many once senior level is reached (after 2 years). Difficult to change clients or industry focus. Driving distance to clients varies based on assignment. Work weekends or late nights occasionally.

Advice to Management

Compensate the employees more in dollars versus e-cards and they may be more satisfied to deliver work under tight deadlines.

4. "People First ... Quality in Everything We Do ... most of the time."

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

EY is a great place to start a career in accounting. EY employees have many opportunities to be exposed to a wide number of industries, interesting companies, and accounting issues. Through this exposure they can rapidly increase their technical accounting skills, as well as their other professional skills. EY is leading accounting firm in the Bay Area for the majority of industries. EY is dynamic workplace that has many young employees from all over the world.

Cons

A person's experience at EY is largely dependent on the engagement teams that a person is assigned to. Many of the firm's people are bright, inclusive, want to provide flexibility, and are willing to provide on the job coaching and professional development. However, there are often many managers and partners that don't fully practice these ideals. The recent downturn in the economy has unfortunately revealed the Company's true colors a bit more. Seniors are getting squeezed as an already lean business model is trying to get more out of less.

Advice to Management

N/A

5. "Interesting Experience"

Current Employee - Audit Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Intern in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

It is what it is. If you'd like to get a professional job with potential to gain respect in the accounting world, this is a great place to start out of school.

Cons

It is what it is. Be sure that you know that starting here will lead you to more accounting opportunities.

Advice to Management

Be sure not to over-diversify as that may lead to reverse discrimination. I felt very out of place here as a caucasian.

6. "EY as a good place to launch or bolster a career"

Current Employee - Supervising Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Supervising Associate in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Large, global organization. Good place to launch your career or gain experience. Very professional environment.

Cons

If you are not a CPA, you can not make partner and there are more limited advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have more opportunities for advancement based on merit or incentives, so that employees feel compelled to work hard, rather than just clock in and out.

7. "#1 Place to start your accounting career!"

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The best reasons to work for Ernst & Young are the People and networking, the client experiences which drive your learning and continual development and opportunities to lead.

Cons

It is hard to develope a good work life balance with the unending responsibilities that consume your day to day worklife.

Advice to Management

If resource management could staff the jobs that they schedule more appropriately based on skill and need the teams would be more balanced and the work would get more appropriately disbursed to decrease the burden on people. Further, developing a center to help staff plan and pass their CPA exams while balancing work efforts would also be great.

"Great place, decent pay"

Current Employee - Advisory Senior in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

The best reasons to work here are the downright competent, smart, and pleasant people you work with. I've never been at a place where I felt like everyone actually knew what they were doing - except here. It's great! Workplace flexibility is mostly honored and there are opportunities to work for some of the biggest and most influential companies in the world. This keeps is interesting, even if you're genera accounting/auditing is not.

Cons

The pay is lower than the competition across the board. You cannot move up the ladder faster than anyone else, even if you deserve it.

Advice to Management

Allow for more relaxed and less structured upward mobility. Compensate better!

9. "E&Y - work hard, learn a lot, enjoy the people, and make sure to take care of your career"

Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

For me the best reason to work at Ernst & Young were the people. The firm is young, and filled with people that are eager to learn and develop their careers. The firm does a great job in educating you to be prepared for your career, they put a huge focus on this. Additionally you will progress faster at a public accounting firm like E&Y than you would in an industry position - you will work hard to get there, but you will get there much faster. Additionally there are so many leadership positions that you can sink your teeth into by simply volunteering. It is a great place to develop leadership, teamwork, and education on accounting.

Cons

Work/Life Balance is a recognized struggle in public accounting. Despite the firm's attempt to voice the ability to have work/life balance it doesn't fit in well with a "client serving" atmosphere. When your clients need work done, then need it done right then. This at times means sacrificing vacation or family plans. The work hours are also generally grueling. There are lulls during the year where the work load is light, but overall you will work more in public accounting that elsewhere. A lot of these negatives go hand-in-hand with the positives (i.e. you have low work/life balance because you are working hard and learning quicker than your peers in industry). Additionally you will find that becuase you are in an atmosphere with very driven people, some of those people are difficult to work with and do not see the opportuinty to nuture and develop their people. You really have to keep an eye out and manage the people that you work for - find the people that will develop your career and get on their jobs.

Advice to Management

We talk a lot about people being our assets in the firm. It is requisite to find a better way to take care of our people - benefits, better managers/sr manager, etc.

"How to fool the world."

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

No good reasons to work at Ernst & Young Global.

Cons

Everything. Policies are just rhetoric. It is a sweat shop and with all things being equal one of the worst among the big 4 accounting firms. Pay and compensation are not comparable to other big 4. Career experiences are not valued by the firm. Loyalty is not considered to be important. Morale is only considered for those included in the 'clique' EY is very immature and high schoolish in terms of promotion. Work/Life Balance is just rhetoric.

Advice to Management

Consider the impact of the messages provided to the employees. Provide more transparency into the management's thought process.

Showing 10 of 14,064 reviews