EY Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Philadelphia, PA

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Cons

1. "Senior Life in Phila"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. You gain great experiences and good on the job training.

Cons

You will work very long hours during busy season.

2. "Laid off after 10 years"

Former Employee - Cbs in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cbs in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility (work from home), exciting, progressive culture. Global network. Good pay and good benefits. People oriented (at least in words). Great brand.

Cons

Your work will never be appreciated, your efforts are never good enough, and their Vision 2020 people model is to outsource/offshore everything possible. Bad managers are rampant across CBS - don't know if this is a result of poor training. Everyone puts in long hours but not apparent whether the long hours are effective or just a ruse to appear busy/indispensable. No commitment to talented employees who have been there over the long term (also saw this in lay offs in 2008).

Advice to Management

The quality of the firm's work is not going to improve by outsourcing/offshoring (is this why you changed the slogan from 'quality in everything we do'?). Show some commitment to employees who have committed to you and don't treat people as dispensable. You're affecting morale and diminishing your reputation with Vision 2020's race to hire client servers while pushing back office jobs overseas.

"Review of EY"

Current Employee - FSO Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - FSO Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-good money
    -good experience
    -nice people
    -great benefits

Cons

-long hours
    -travel
    -weekend work
    -no time for anything else

Advice to Management

I've been working at EY for only a month and I'm already pursuing other jobs. Public accounting just isn't for me. Busy season sucks and it seems like there's only a focus on billable hours as opposed to doing actual work and caring about employee health. Honestly, I've never been more miserable in my life. Every day that I come here, it feels like a piece of me dies inside. It's sad. I'm sad. Employees, beware. It's not necessarily a warning steered towards EY, but a warning to stay away from public accounting. It isn't for everyone.

"Dog eat dog, you are a cog"

Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY (Less than a year)

Pros

Unbelievable benefits. Great name brand. Some of the largest projects on the planet. Training opportunities. Great learning experience. Diamond status on all airlines and hotel chains.

Cons

1) The pressure to deliver is very high and becomes more every level you go up. Keep in mind your engagement has to be profitable first and help the client second. Managers and Senior managers have stolen deals from me in order to make their numbers (and make mine look worse). This is common.

2) Your partner will either make your life at EY great or a living hell - choose wisely.

3) Since EY is an audit firm, independence is a big deal, and a real pain for most employees - you will probably have to sell 1/4 of your portfolio within 30 days of hire. Strange things will happen because of independence - like you are not allow to talk to another vendor from the client (like Google, Apple, HP etc.) because EY is their audit firm. Makes for very strange behaviors.

4) Churn is very high because of either people leaving or through the annual performance reviews. Up or out. My theory is that this also helps keep costs down by reducing the older (and more expensive workforce). I wouldn't directly say that there is age discrimination because the EY lawyers would refute that. What I can say is that I heard that people who came on board near 60 had to sign an agreement that they would retire by a certain age. I spoke so someone who came to EY via acquisition of a 200 person firm 5 years ago. The person said that he was one of 3 people still at EY from the acquisition.

5) If you really want a career in management consulting - google "what's the life expectancy of a Big 4 partner" (67 vs average male in US of 77)

Advice to Management

Spin off Advisory. Having Audit and Advisory in the same firm is a failed experiment. You probably won't as the business is pumping out too much cash. Try to do what you can to retain your talent, instead of treating your consultants like disposable cogs. How much knowledge goes out the door?

"Strong Company and Brand!"

Current Employee - Advisory Senior in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EY has provided a wide variety of experiences that are both client and non-client serving. I have been exposed to many different industries and the different types of technology that support the overall business as it relates to meeting it's objectives. I am constantly pushed to be better and have already been promoted once. This experience has been extremely rewarding and fulfiing.

Cons

Sometimes the company can be extremely focused on rank and also bog down its top performers with so much they get burnt out so easily.

Advice to Management

I think the company should focus on its retention efforts for the staff through senior levels so that they can build up the pipeline for strong managers.

7. "Assurance Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time

Pros

flexible and good work environment, great people

Cons

hours can be a little long during busy season

8. "EY review"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a ton of flexibility that you don't get at a lot of other firms and the compensation is very competitive.

Cons

The obvious con would be working long hours during busy seasons. Also the review process can be a little unfair depending on who is writing requires for who.

Advice to Management

Find a better way to standardize the review process to make it an even playing field. Also it would be nice if more opportunities were available to try out different service lines before committing to one.

9. "Audit senior"

Former Employee - Assurance in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assurance in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing. Guess I need 5 words.

Cons

Compensation for hours is terrible. Mindless work. Everyone is pretty depressed below senior manager. Not a healthy atmosphere when probably 80% of your group wants to leave. To be fair, it's not just them. Audit is in a really bad state.

Advice to Management

Give internal exit ops. Rotate people into advisory. Probably not too much you can do.

"Great foundation"

Current Employee - Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and team environment

Cons

Long hours - even if work is completed, still the expectation to stay much longer than necessary.

11. "A good company to start accounting carrer"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a great company to work in. The people are diverse and pretty nice.

Cons

During the busy season, it's pretty long hours. The salary is not competitive by considering its workload.

Advice to Management

Increase the salary or imrpove some employee benefits

Showing 63 of 12,640 reviews