EY Reviews in Philadelphia, PA | Glassdoor

Philadelphia, PA

3.2

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "FSO Senior Audit Associate"

Current Employee - FSO Senior Audit Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - FSO Senior Audit Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great to start a career, learn a lot right off the bat and quickly engagement in management responsibilities.

Cons

Salary is not great for the hours you work. Need to be rated well to make it worth it.

Advice to Management

Ratings system needs to get overhauled. Would be helpful if internal transfers were easier

2. "Senior"

Current Employee - Advisory Senior in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Good atmosphere culture enjoy the flexible work life balance that is afforded close knit office low key at times but

Cons

Can be demanding due to the nature of the job and multiple clients at a time management is not always on same page

3. "Assurance Staff"

Current Employee - Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Competitive pay for first job out of college
    -Ability to network within the company
    -Great training

Cons

-Horrible work/life balance - can't even take advantage of some benefits because no time outside of work
    -They force you to drink the kool-aid as an intern and then eat you alive as a Staff
    -Horrible, in-it-for-themselves, co-workers
    -Partners reluctant to innovation making your life harder
    -Politics galore involved
    -Opposite culture of what they promote actually exists within the firm

4. "Working at EY"

Current Employee - Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You will learn a lot about accounting and will make great connections with your peers. You will also be very marketable as a candidate when you decide to leave.

Cons

The clients you are assigned to can make or break your experience in public accounting. If you decide to leave

Advice to Management

Make sure your jobs are staffed to an adequate level so that your staff and seniors aren't overworked.

5. "Senior Consultant"

Current Employee - Enterprise Performance Management Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work culture. I really enjoy the people I work with. Lots of opportunity to get involved with internal, volunteering, and corporate development initiatives.

Cons

Annual performance review results are highly dependent on the counselor that you're assigned to as they are you voice in the review sessions. If you are paired with someone good, you're golden. If not, then it can be frustrating.

"Laid off after 10 years"

Former Employee - Cbs in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Cbs in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility (work from home), exciting, progressive culture. Global network. Good pay and good benefits. People oriented (at least in words). Great brand.

Cons

Your work will never be appreciated, your efforts are never good enough, and their Vision 2020 people model is to outsource/offshore everything possible. Bad managers are rampant across CBS - don't know if this is a result of poor training. Everyone puts in long hours but not apparent whether the long hours are effective or just a ruse to appear busy/indispensable. No commitment to talented employees who have been there over the long term (also saw this in lay offs in 2008).

Advice to Management

The quality of the firm's work is not going to improve by outsourcing/offshoring (is this why you changed the slogan from 'quality in everything we do'?). Show some commitment to employees who have committed to you and don't treat people as dispensable. You're affecting morale and diminishing your reputation with Vision 2020's race to hire client servers while pushing back office jobs overseas.

"Review of EY"

Current Employee - FSO Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - FSO Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-good money
    -good experience
    -nice people
    -great benefits

Cons

-long hours
    -travel
    -weekend work
    -no time for anything else

Advice to Management

I've been working at EY for only a month and I'm already pursuing other jobs. Public accounting just isn't for me. Busy season sucks and it seems like there's only a focus on billable hours as opposed to doing actual work and caring about employee health. Honestly, I've never been more miserable in my life. Every day that I come here, it feels like a piece of me dies inside. It's sad. I'm sad. Employees, beware. It's not necessarily a warning steered towards EY, but a warning to stay away from public accounting. It isn't for everyone.

8. "Senior Life in Phila"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. You gain great experiences and good on the job training.

Cons

You will work very long hours during busy season.

"Dog eat dog, you are a cog"

Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Advisory Manager in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY (Less than a year)

Pros

Unbelievable benefits. Great name brand. Some of the largest projects on the planet. Training opportunities. Great learning experience. Diamond status on all airlines and hotel chains.

Cons

1) The pressure to deliver is very high and becomes more every level you go up. Keep in mind your engagement has to be profitable first and help the client second. Managers and Senior managers have stolen deals from me in order to make their numbers (and make mine look worse). This is common.

2) Your partner will either make your life at EY great or a living hell - choose wisely.

3) Since EY is an audit firm, independence is a big deal, and a real pain for most employees - you will probably have to sell 1/4 of your portfolio within 30 days of hire. Strange things will happen because of independence - like you are not allow to talk to another vendor from the client (like Google, Apple, HP etc.) because EY is their audit firm. Makes for very strange behaviors.

4) Churn is very high because of either people leaving or through the annual performance reviews. Up or out. My theory is that this also helps keep costs down by reducing the older (and more expensive workforce). I wouldn't directly say that there is age discrimination because the EY lawyers would refute that. What I can say is that I heard that people who came on board near 60 had to sign an agreement that they would retire by a certain age. I spoke so someone who came to EY via acquisition of a 200 person firm 5 years ago. The person said that he was one of 3 people still at EY from the acquisition.

5) If you really want a career in management consulting - google "what's the life expectancy of a Big 4 partner" (67 vs average male in US of 77)

Advice to Management

Spin off Advisory. Having Audit and Advisory in the same firm is a failed experiment. You probably won't as the business is pumping out too much cash. Try to do what you can to retain your talent, instead of treating your consultants like disposable cogs. How much knowledge goes out the door?

"Strong Company and Brand!"

Current Employee - Advisory Senior in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

EY has provided a wide variety of experiences that are both client and non-client serving. I have been exposed to many different industries and the different types of technology that support the overall business as it relates to meeting it's objectives. I am constantly pushed to be better and have already been promoted once. This experience has been extremely rewarding and fulfiing.

Cons

Sometimes the company can be extremely focused on rank and also bog down its top performers with so much they get burnt out so easily.

Advice to Management

I think the company should focus on its retention efforts for the staff through senior levels so that they can build up the pipeline for strong managers.

Showing 68 of 15,126 reviews