EY Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 25, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends

Cons

1. "Rips off clients. Not a trusted advisor anymore"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good brand name. Good training ground for consulting skills. Training center is good. Large number of practices though difficult to move within them.

Cons

Not ethical in how they bill or the value they deliver. Mostly talk.

Example - on a large healthcare insurance, EY had placed 300 consultants. Most had no or minimal work. Lot of busy work was created by EY just to bill and rip off the client. The hours were brutal with consultants sitting in small sweaty conference rooms all day. EY leadership was ruthless and mostly unethical. Unimaginable work conditions. EY bent to a new low to please the CIO known for mistreating consultants.

EY has gone to a new low to meet their vision 2020.
    Beware in the interviews. Ask around what the real work would entail. Some practices are just doing body shopping to meet their goals.

If they don't change their way, they will become history. They have done a disservice to the consulting profession.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with respect, be ethical in how you bill.

2. "Unethical practices"

Former Employee - Audit Senior in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Audit Senior in McLean, VA

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks great on the resume when looking for a new job. Worked at some big name clients and gained a lot industry insight and accounting knowledge.

Cons

Although eating hours is an unwritten rule in public accounting for a lot of people I choose not to do this. I was asked to write off time by a manager and limit my time with but 'get the job done' as they 'did not want a difficult conversation with the partner'. I complained about this, promptly found myself off the client, and had an awful review by said manager. Come year end I was threatened with being fired as a result of poor performance. Unsurprisingly, I was never asked for the corroborating evidence I had to back up my version of events and quit before I was axed. Unfortunately, this site won't allow me to name and shame.

Advice to Management

Find a backbone. You have a Whistle blower policy, so honor it and don't support retaliation in the workplace.

3. "Had potential, but sadly did not deliver"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, food benefits, decent vacation policy, huge company so there are many groups. That's about all there is to say here

Cons

Though my employment here was many years ago, during My time at EY, my managers and seniors were completely lacking in my professional development. They expected me to know what I was doing without formal training, and scolded me rather than helped me when I did not perform a task exactly the way I wanted.

With such a large company, I do know others that had a better experience. Anther staff actually cried on multiple occasions during a project because our senior was THAT BAD. Sadly, my experience at EY completely turned me off to the field and I am much happier and much less stressed doing what I do now.

Advice to Management

Be much more thorough in training for particular assignments

"Review of EY"

Current Employee - FSO Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - FSO Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-good money
    -good experience
    -nice people
    -great benefits

Cons

-long hours
    -travel
    -weekend work
    -no time for anything else

Advice to Management

I've been working at EY for only a month and I'm already pursuing other jobs. Public accounting just isn't for me. Busy season sucks and it seems like there's only a focus on billable hours as opposed to doing actual work and caring about employee health. Honestly, I've never been more miserable in my life. Every day that I come here, it feels like a piece of me dies inside. It's sad. I'm sad. Employees, beware. It's not necessarily a warning steered towards EY, but a warning to stay away from public accounting. It isn't for everyone.

6. "Horrible"

Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at EY (Less than a year)

Pros

The non-partners are nice but that's it

Cons

The partners are total asswads who don't care about the profession or serving the customer.

Advice to Management

Liquidate

7. "Technology Advisory Program"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at EY as an intern

Pros

Good Pay
    Good benefits,pay for time to travel

Cons

-Incorrect placement for interns, had a 4 hour daily commute to a client in which the project was wrapping up.
    - Typical Enterperise company experience

Advice to Management

Don't send interns to projects outside of NYC

8. "The place is a disaster. Cap markets practice is complete chaos with no direction or leadership."

Current Employee - Advisory in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great exposure but you will pay for that
    You will learn a lot, as painful as it is along the way.

Cons

Life? What life? The firm is your life in their eyes
    Zero structure, zero leadership
    Insanely political
    Terrible pay
    Bonus, not what I would call a bonus and for the record don't let recruiting fool you on the annual raises of 10%

Advice to Management

I don't know where to start. How about addressing ethics in the organization. Or maybe forcing leaders to lead or engage their people.

9. "Assurance Staff"

Former Employee - Assurance Staff
    Former Employee - Assurance Staff

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. There are none at all.

Cons

Long hours, petty pay, limited learning opportunities for skills of real value.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay, stop the 60+ hour work weeks, and start treating your employees like real human beings.

"Vision 2020"

Current Employee - Full Time in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Full Time in Houston, TX

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It use to be a great firm to work for, now it's getting in and wondering if it's your last day.

Cons

Vision 2020 is hurting the firm. The firm is laying off, outsourcing, and cutting expenses. People are in fear of losing their jobs. Moral is down and it feels that people from the top are in it for themselves. Richer getting richer and the lower half get screwed.

11. "Stay Away"

I worked at EY full-time

Pros

The only pros I got from this job is the fact that it added to my resume and I got a lot of learning experiences

Cons

The good and hard working people are rewarded with MORE work. There is a lot of "investment" into the employees, but when interns are making more than the seniors on the engagement, there is a BIG problem there.

Advice to Management

Hire more people since seniors are spread too thin as well as increase the salaries. Make it beneficial financially to be staying at EY for longer than a year when working 80 hours weeks.

Showing 445 of 12,713 reviews