EY Reviews | Glassdoor

EY Reviews

Updated December 12, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"BEWARE- Applies to SDC in Alpharetta"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at EY (More than 3 years)

Pros

None- unless you like to do nothing 80% of the time and get underpaid

Cons

Pretty much everything is a con about being sold the EY dream and being stuffed in a "sweat shop" referred to as the Solution Delivery Center. The first indication that you are being PLAYED is a salary around 40K in the Alpharetta area and 39K in JAX Florida. You will be sold on a role that fits your idea of a consultant- NOT TRUE. You will come to the office see some nice people and if you decide to come you will be disappointed. There is one major project in the center that dominates the firm- if you are not on this project you are SCREWED and if you are- you are SCREWED. So either you work long hours for little pay - 40k remember that. Or you are benched for 8 months out of the year- real EY people will say that is because they are trying to push you out. NOT- actually i received a very good review and a 4k raise and 2k bonus- WHAT DOES THAT DO FOR ME- NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. What they are doing at this center should be a crime. To lure in well performing students under the name EY when really this is just a crappy start up that will use you and teach you absolutely NOTHING! In my two years here I can tell you how to copy and paste. So if you read all the way down here - here is my advice DONT DO IT!
    Not many projects
    False expectations
    Very low salary
    Leadership does not care

Advice to Management

Tell people what they are really getting in to and stop making excuses for why you start people so low. I was promised that once I put in the work I would "catch up" and here i am two years later STILL making less than 50K- I could have been a teacher with the summers off for what they are paying me. Its just sad. John Mcevoy you should be ashamed of yourself living big in your fancy home in FL and paying people barely enough to drive to and from work everyday SMDH.

2. "Not for experienced professional joining the firm later in their Career"

I worked at EY full-time

Pros

Great Benefits
    Competitive salary
    Networking for those just starting their Career

Cons

Mammoth company with incomprehensible catalog of Corporate policies and operational process that create massive overhead.
    Watch your back, this is a shark tank. People will eat you up to get ahead and become a PPED

Advice to Management

Experience Managers are useless and getting a assignment is more to do with who you know that anything else inclduing skilsl and experience. Tell employees joing the firm below PPED level through acquisition the truth... You are on your own.

3. "EY culture will bring you plenty of suffering and misery"

Former Employee - Assurance Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Assurance Staff in San Francisco, CA

I worked at EY (More than a year)

Pros

- Being able to list it on your resume

Cons

- Understaffed teams means you'll be given tremendous amounts of work with very little support and guidance
    - If you eat hours, you're violating firm policy and can be terminated if management learns of it. If you don't, you'll be logging so many hours (because of the insane workload and lack of real support) that management will probably criticize you for being inefficient and spending too much time on your assignments. Either way, you lose
    - EY does a great job at marketing itself as inclusive, supportive, and employee-focused, but management does a terrible job of putting those claims into practice

4. "Paid less than male colleague"

Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people at EY are genuinely the nicest you'll ever meet. No one is outright unpleasant to work with.

Cons

I was paid less than a male colleague, even though I had more experience. When I went to HR, they made up immaterial reasons for paying him more. You are really just another number. They are only focused on their year-end targets and will sell you out if they have to. I had a really terrible experience. That's not to say that others don't or can't have a good experience, but I personally did not.

Advice to Management

Take your values seriously.

5. "Senior Manager Advisory"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Jose, CA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good place for young recruits to start their career. Good focus on ethics. Risk averse

Cons

All depends on the team and partners you work for. The organization does not matter for small issues that are very important to an individual. Not nimble n the new age era. Good cosulting firm for the old world companies. Not a good firm to be engaged, for technology focussed areas

Advice to Management

Change your approach and start investing for the future. If partners need money in future and be relevant start looking out and invest. Dont just get fixed on suits and great shoes.

6. "Risk Advisory Staff Consultant One"

I have been working at EY full-time

Pros

Name recognition
    Pays for relevant certifications

Cons

Pretty much everything else
    Everyone just trying to get ahead of each other

Advice to Management

Have a better review process

7. "word to the wise"

I have been working at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good benefits and compensation package

Cons

hostile culture and environment, bad work-life balance

"Worst company I've ever worked for"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, that is all

Cons

Way too many bereaucatic rules that serve no purpose and waste time.
    Turn in your timesheet even 5 minutes late and they will take away your bonus. Do it 4 or more times in a year and you will be fired.
    They constantly require you to take long web based learning classes that have 0 relevance to your job and take time away from doing actual work for clients.
    Their review process takes 6 months, so by the time you get feedback the new year is half over. It is also the most convoluted and poorly designed review system imaginable.
    Their internal tools are so poorly designed they barely function and crash constantly, and there are so many of them that it's nearly impossible to figure out where to go to access anything.
    I could go on and on for another 30 cons, but instead I will just recommend that you find another job. I love the work I do for them, but the way the company is run makes me want to quit on a weekly basis.

Advice to Management

Simplify your bureaucratic rules. You are trying so hard that you are making the company a nightmare to be at. Focus more on serving the client and less on all the crazy EY internal rules.

9. "The distain was palpable."

Former Contractor - Attorney in Cleveland, OH
    Former Contractor - Attorney in Cleveland, OH

I worked at EY as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They pay the market average wage.

Cons

I have never been treated so disdainfully in my life. Computers chained down like I was possible thief. A computer system that would log me out constantly because I was a "trusted" employee.Five minute lectures on how we could not have anything on our desks during the day, let alone leave something there overnight. Being told I had to even log my hours in and out when going to the bathroom. It did provide a great laugh line when management said seriously and with a straight face "We are not Big Brother. We just want to know what your are doing at all times."

Advice to Management

Stop the whole "If you work for six months as a contractor you will be hired full time, as per company policy" routine. We all know it just means you will just put us on hold for a few weeks, at our expense, so you can avoid your silly feel-good policy.

"Mediocre place for mediocre people"

Former Employee - Associate in Switzerland, FL
    Former Employee - Associate in Switzerland, FL

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong brand name - I don't see anything else!
    I still don't believe how EY is able to achieve such reputation despite all the cons.

Cons

Slave mode: Consultants and Seniors are expected to execute very unfulfilling activities.
    Boring projects: As the company vision and objectives are focused towards sales volume, partners are ready to sell any type of work just to reach their sales targets.
    Poor caliber of people: EY positions itself as a competitor of McK/BCG/Bain; however, the people I have met here are far from being the smartest.
    Roundtables are a joke: Receiving 5 star ratings on projects doesn't translate into a 5 star rating at year end or a career progression.
    Low pay: If your plan is to make money, then this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Nothing! The situation has surpassed the range of what deserves to receive advice and what is correctable.

Showing 555 of 15,932 reviews