EY Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

1. "Manager"

Current Employee - IT Advisor in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - IT Advisor in McLean, VA

I have been working at EY (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable Firm for students first job.

Cons

Not well structured. Top exec's lack vision, leadership and attitude.
    Currently influenced by and run as a mini Accenture firm, favoring Ex-Accenture employees who in many case don't fit the qualifications.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring from one Firm, this will dilute the value of EY stands for and how EY operates.

2. "Audit senior"

Former Employee - Assurance in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Assurance in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at EY (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing. Guess I need 5 words.

Cons

Compensation for hours is terrible. Mindless work. Everyone is pretty depressed below senior manager. Not a healthy atmosphere when probably 80% of your group wants to leave. To be fair, it's not just them. Audit is in a really bad state.

Advice to Management

Give internal exit ops. Rotate people into advisory. Probably not too much you can do.

"Women should avoid this place"

Former Employee - Senior Digital Analytics Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Digital Analytics Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm not sure what the pros are since my interactions with them were poor when they acquired my company, that I quit immediately.

Cons

Six months into my pregnancy (with my first child) my company was acquired by EY. Initially I was super excited... however quickly became saddened by the way the company treats new moms. When my offer letter was presented to me I was told that I would not be eligible for EYs paid maternity leave due to the fact that although they had acquired a company that I had been employed at for five years, I hadn't been an EY employee yet for 12 months. Disappointing but I could live with it. Over the next month I repeatedly asked HR about the FMLA qualification which is also based on 12 months of employment, Short Term disability eligibility or loss of, lost PTO with the acquisition etc. I basically wanted to know if I was getting 6 weeks unpaid or 3 months unpaid after my baby was born so I could plan accordingly. I was told each time that I could not engage with EYs maternity team until the deal closed. Time was ticking on and the stress of not knowing during my pregnancy was just too saddening - I knew I had to leave the company for my own health. I quickly found a new job at a company that went out of their way to treat me like one of their own and while I disqualified from both FMLA and short term disability I knew I could never trust Society nor EY if I stayed.

Fast forward three weeks after leaving the company, a dozen emails later and I am sitting pregnant without health insurance. Neither company will give me access to Cobra that I've repeatedly asked for. Cobra told me I'm not in their system. I'm paying out of pocket for my ultrasounds and praying that nothing happens to me. Only one week to go until my new coverage kicks in. Unfortunately health insurance companies won't provide short term coverage to pregnant women so I'm out of luck.

Shame on them.

Advice to Management

Where should I begin? Don't treat new moms and dads the way you treated me when you acquire companies with soon to be parents. And don't acquire companies that try to show loyal employees the door the day after they give notice in order to quickly replace them and save the client. That just backfires.... My client found out what happened and pulled her contract too.

5. "Compensation"

Current Employee - Audit Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Audit Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

on-the-job training, reputation, job security

Cons

hours, stress, travel, compensation, transparency

"Staff - ISAC (Cleveland, OH)"

Former Employee - ISAC Staff in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - ISAC Staff in Cleveland, OH

I worked at EY full-time

Pros

It is based out of Cleveland where the living expenses are low

Cons

This review is specific to the ISAC (IT Shared Analysis Center) team in Cleveland, OH

Modern day slavery – quantity of work you do is given maximum importance. You are bribed with terms like “Green card” and “Promotion”, but deemed “not good enough for this” and screwed over during year-end review process

No career growth – The kind of work you do here can be done by 10th grade students. No degree is required to convert text to excel, correct spelling mistakes on files, re-order columns on excel. Their actual “technical” work is anything but technical – Clicking buttons to generate reports, copy paste existing code and change spellings, “Configure” environments (Fancy terminology for changing ON to OFF)

No work life balance – your private cell phone number is taken for emergencies but you are constantly contacted at odd times of the day and weekends for unimportant stuff in the name of “deadlines” that don’t exist

Toxic work environment – People are always angry, unhappy, spiteful or in tears

Poor work structure – Multiple projects with different types of tasks causing each person to work for 12 – 13 hours a day just to get 9 hours of billable time. Lot of time wasted in unwanted documentation, waiting on responses from clients/managers, switching times to mentally prepare for a new task, thrown into a project and later expected to learn what it is about (learning times not counted as billable time therefore having to work extra hours a day/night). Complete disaster

No flexibility – There is nothing remotely Ernst & Young like about this team. You have no flexibility to work from home unless you have a physical disability that is causing you to be immobile. You HAVE to work physically from the office even though every other person you work with is working from different parts of the country. The team works primarily out of Cleveland, OH (That in itself should have been enough reason not to join this team), you will not be allowed to change your work location until you reach manager level. If finally you decide that this team is not meant for you and request for an internal transfer, you will face one of the following: 1. Blocked from transferring and forced to continue working for that team 2. Transfer approved for 12 months in the future 3. Fired. You just have to take your chance

Please reconsider before you join this team. The name Ernst & Young might be lucrative, but this team is an anomaly to the organization. The management has a really twisted mentality and will play you and squeeze every bit of life from you in the name of “Utilization”. Your concerns will NEVER be addressed and your career progress will remain stagnant. Worst decision of my life. Truly traumatic experience.

Advice to Management

For ISAC Management: Please focus on Employee retention and ways to improve the morale of employees
    For overall Ernst & Young management - Please take a good look at what's happening inside this team, it is miles and miles away from what the EY experience should actually be

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Risk Advisory Services, Staff in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Risk Advisory Services, Staff in Boston, MA

I worked at EY (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay/benefits if you are in the right line of work.

Cons

Work/life balance is non-existent. Training is mediocre, expect to be thrown to the wolves day 1.

Advice to Management

Focus on training, specifically the day to day tasks that correlate with each service line. The better prepared your people are, the better they will be at their job, reviews and ratings are only meaningful if you the expectations are in line with the skill level and competence of each individual.

"Culture of Firing"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money ,professional growth,mileage points

Cons

You can get fired anytime.
    I am surprised that no one has written this point. Looks like they have hired professional help to dilute real reviews. 4 persons got fired just because the partners could not get them projects.
    Absolutely not for individuals who are looking for stability . Strict no no for H1 Visa holder.

Advice to Management

Do not encourage mindless hiring and firing.

9. "Toxic office in Seattle"

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible, work-life balance, opportunities if you work hard and make yourself visible.

Cons

Politics, politics, politics. Two-faced people, no mentorship from partners, over staffed at the manager level, no work and when you don't have enough work it's YOUR fault even though it's a partner level issue. At some point, it was forgotten that rewardin people for their hard work is a means to fight against attrition.

Advice to Management

Value your employees that clients like and can actually sell work vs. people who won't sell anything and detest leaving the office or to be near people.

10. "Hire and Fire"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Newark, NJ

Pros

Great work culture and great assets in the company

Cons

Hire and fire. Not doing well and they dont have business as compared to other big3

"Not worth it, look elsewhere."

Former Employee - Business Advisory in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Business Advisory in New York, NY

I worked at EY (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent Salary

Stable employment (It's pretty much impossible to get fired at this place. If you don't fit, they'll shift you onto a new project)

Cons

Work life balance is a joke here, you're beholden to every possible whim of the client. Weekends, late nights, holidays. Even when there isn't actual work to do, you'll have to stick around to just in case the client (or your manager) thinks there might be the possibility of work.

High employee turnover, managers don't make much of an effort to build any kind of rapport w/ their employees as a result.

Salaries don't reflect actual amount of work being done. (i.e. someone working 80 hour weeks on a deal based project will make the same as someone working on 9-5 AML project)

Advice to Management

Actually care about who your employees are, maybe you wouldn't be shedding 1-2 people off a team every single month.

Showing 460 of 13,349 reviews