EY Reviews | Glassdoor

EY Reviews

Updated September 20, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Had potential, but sadly did not deliver"

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people, food benefits, decent vacation policy, huge company so there are many groups. That's about all there is to say here

Cons

Though my employment here was many years ago, during My time at EY, my managers and seniors were completely lacking in my professional development. They expected me to know what I was doing without formal training, and scolded me rather than helped me when I did not perform a task exactly the way I wanted.

With such a large company, I do know others that had a better experience. Anther staff actually cried on multiple occasions during a project because our senior was THAT BAD. Sadly, my experience at EY completely turned me off to the field and I am much happier and much less stressed doing what I do now.

Advice to Management

Be much more thorough in training for particular assignments

"Review of EY"

Current Employee - FSO Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - FSO Assurance Staff in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at EY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-good money
    -good experience
    -nice people
    -great benefits

Cons

-long hours
    -travel
    -weekend work
    -no time for anything else

Advice to Management

I've been working at EY for only a month and I'm already pursuing other jobs. Public accounting just isn't for me. Busy season sucks and it seems like there's only a focus on billable hours as opposed to doing actual work and caring about employee health. Honestly, I've never been more miserable in my life. Every day that I come here, it feels like a piece of me dies inside. It's sad. I'm sad. Employees, beware. It's not necessarily a warning steered towards EY, but a warning to stay away from public accounting. It isn't for everyone.

3. "Horrible"

Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Accountant in New York, NY

I have been working at EY (Less than a year)

Pros

The non-partners are nice but that's it

Cons

The partners are total asswads who don't care about the profession or serving the customer.

Advice to Management

Liquidate

4. "Technology Advisory Program"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at EY as an intern

Pros

Good Pay
    Good benefits,pay for time to travel

Cons

-Incorrect placement for interns, had a 4 hour daily commute to a client in which the project was wrapping up.
    - Typical Enterperise company experience

Advice to Management

Don't send interns to projects outside of NYC

5. "The place is a disaster. Cap markets practice is complete chaos with no direction or leadership."

Current Employee - Advisory in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory in New York, NY

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great exposure but you will pay for that
    You will learn a lot, as painful as it is along the way.

Cons

Life? What life? The firm is your life in their eyes
    Zero structure, zero leadership
    Insanely political
    Terrible pay
    Bonus, not what I would call a bonus and for the record don't let recruiting fool you on the annual raises of 10%

Advice to Management

I don't know where to start. How about addressing ethics in the organization. Or maybe forcing leaders to lead or engage their people.

6. "Assurance Staff"

Former Employee - Assurance Staff
    Former Employee - Assurance Staff

I worked at EY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. There are none at all.

Cons

Long hours, petty pay, limited learning opportunities for skills of real value.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay, stop the 60+ hour work weeks, and start treating your employees like real human beings.

"Vision 2020"

Current Employee - Full Time in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Full Time in Houston, TX

I have been working at EY full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It use to be a great firm to work for, now it's getting in and wondering if it's your last day.

Cons

Vision 2020 is hurting the firm. The firm is laying off, outsourcing, and cutting expenses. People are in fear of losing their jobs. Moral is down and it feels that people from the top are in it for themselves. Richer getting richer and the lower half get screwed.

8. "Stay Away"

I worked at EY full-time

Pros

The only pros I got from this job is the fact that it added to my resume and I got a lot of learning experiences

Cons

The good and hard working people are rewarded with MORE work. There is a lot of "investment" into the employees, but when interns are making more than the seniors on the engagement, there is a BIG problem there.

Advice to Management

Hire more people since seniors are spread too thin as well as increase the salaries. Make it beneficial financially to be staying at EY for longer than a year when working 80 hours weeks.

9. "Go work for PwC."

Current Employee - Assurance Staff
    Current Employee - Assurance Staff

I have been working at EY full-time

Pros

-They pay $59,000 to a Staff 1 in New York City.
    -They pay for a Becker CPA course and reimburse exam fees for the CPA.
    -They offer a $5000 bonus if you pass the CPA within your first year and $3000 if you pass within the second year.
    -They pay for 75% of fitness expenses up to $500 per year (this includes $150 for Apple Watch)
    -They offer 401k contribution match of 25% after 1 year of employment up to 6% of your annual salary.
    -Depending on your scheduler's decision, you may get the opportunity to see many different companies' accounting departments across industries.
    -You will learn how to deal with different kinds of people with various personalities.
    -The New York office has racial diversity compared to the other Big 4.

Cons

-Seniors are not held accountable for how they treat first and second year staff. Managers and partners are not usually at the client site every day, so seniors do whatever they want to their staff with very little accountability from the higher-ups.
    -Staff are expected to do an inventory count on New Year's Eve. Inventory counts can go into the middle of the night, and you will still be expected to do an inventory count even during busy season. First and second year staff are expected to be available six weekends of the year to do an inventory count.
    -Busy season hours can be long and unpredictable. It depends on how well your senior manages the job, and very few have the organization or talent to do their jobs well.
    -The New York office recruits from lower tier schools in the tri-state area. The caliber of people here can be very low compared to PwC.
    -The people in the New York office can be rude. Most of them lack social skills, and some of them lack personal hygiene. You would be surprised how many people smell bad!
    -Exit opportunities are just internal audit or senior accountant positions for most people. It's nothing you couldn't work your way up to even without a Big 4 position.

10. "Environment"

Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Operations in Boston, MA

Pros

Longevity, over time available, worldwide, name recognition

Cons

Unless you are a partner you will never move up. No room for advancement. Hostile environment

Advice to Management

Higher ups should know what their under links do and how to do it if no one shows they should be able to step in. Also then when it comes to reviews they have an idea not an assumption.

Showing 515 of 14,740 reviews